The Student Room Group

I can't motivate myself to revise

I have my history exam on Monday and although in the past couple of months I have done quite a lot of intense revision, in this last week I've lost all motivation. I only need a low C in this exam to get an A overall so it should be quite easy but I seem to have fallen into the trap of complacency. Although I know virtually all the content and got full marks in my mock, I feel guilty about not doing more. I'd planned to do two essays per day until the exam but every time I sit down to do it I just can't make myself write. It's really starting to frustrate me because I'm not usually this much of a slacker and this week I've just been horrendously lazy. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can force myself to work?
Reply 1
Original post by heshop
I have my history exam on Monday and although in the past couple of months I have done quite a lot of intense revision, in this last week I've lost all motivation. I only need a low C in this exam to get an A overall so it should be quite easy but I seem to have fallen into the trap of complacency. Although I know virtually all the content and got full marks in my mock, I feel guilty about not doing more. I'd planned to do two essays per day until the exam but every time I sit down to do it I just can't make myself write. It's really starting to frustrate me because I'm not usually this much of a slacker and this week I've just been horrendously lazy. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can force myself to work?

Damn, this genuinely is the story of my life! :rolleyes:
Which History module are you doing? I'm doing OCR German nationalism. :cool:
Reply 2
Original post by Ornlu
Damn, this genuinely is the story of my life! :rolleyes:
Which History module are you doing? I'm doing OCR German nationalism. :cool:

AQA Triumph of Elizabeth. It would help if any of it was remotely interesting :P
Reply 3
Original post by heshop

Imagine having to work in TELESALES! or as a sales advisor? Or Mcdonalds wiping tables.
Reply 4
Original post by heshop
AQA Triumph of Elizabeth. It would help if any of it was remotely interesting :P

Ugh, I feel for you bro'; Growth of German Nationalism from 1789-1919 is probably the best module I could have ever done - it really does put into context the making of the modern world... :biggrin:

... I don't think I'm helping am I?:s-smilie:
Sounds as if you've burnt yourself out with a lot of revision. Over working yourself can be almost as bad as not working at all, as you just sort of 'crash' in the exam(personal experience). I did way too many past papers and mocks...got in the exam and just couldn't motivate myself!

Rather than sitting down and pouring over a textbook, maybe online revision could help. Youtube videos summarising the events, or quizzes on the subject, or even going on the exam board website and looking through Examiners Reports. That way you're not doing a lot of intense work, but it is still going to be useful to you.
Reply 6
Original post by beccaxheapes
Sounds as if you've burnt yourself out with a lot of revision. Over working yourself can be almost as bad as not working at all, as you just sort of 'crash' in the exam(personal experience). I did way too many past papers and mocks...got in the exam and just couldn't motivate myself!

Rather than sitting down and pouring over a textbook, maybe online revision could help. Youtube videos summarising the events, or quizzes on the subject, or even going on the exam board website and looking through Examiners Reports. That way you're not doing a lot of intense work, but it is still going to be useful to you.

Yeah I think you're right. I'm just going to do a few plans and look over my notes because I'm too tired of it all to do any more essays.

Quick Reply

Latest