The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Product Design Ideas

I have no idea what to design (and eventually manufacture) for my A2 Coursework project next year (Year 13). I want to study mechanical engineering at uni so it would be great if I could do something engineering related. However, I have limited time per week to design and make the future 'THING'.
So long story put short, can anyone suggest what I could design + make? - I've racked my brain and still have nothing - probably because I'm air-headed.
Any replies would be appreciated. :smile:
Reply 1
Well I don't think you have to show work at a mechanical engineering interview so their's no real need to design something related to it. This is because design a product that requires mechanics to create in a product design lesson like you said with little time is almost impossible - too stressful! You could look into tools that mechanical engineers would use for their job and re-design that. It will be easier and look eye catching on a personal statement for a number of reasons :smile:
Reply 2
3D printer
Reply 3
Hi, I had my first A2 Product Design lesson today and I am also stuck for ideas..
Reply 4
Original post by NtainS
I have no idea what to design (and eventually manufacture) for my A2 Coursework project next year (Year 13). I want to study mechanical engineering at uni so it would be great if I could do something engineering related. However, I have limited time per week to design and make the future 'THING'.
So long story put short, can anyone suggest what I could design + make? - I've racked my brain and still have nothing - probably because I'm air-headed.
Any replies would be appreciated. :smile:

I've just finished A2, exam yesterday. My number one piece of advice is to choose something that is not too large and time-consuming. You need to be able to demonstrate a wide-range of skills, but try and design something that doesn't require you to repeatedly demonstrate the same skills. You don't want to be spending forever making it, with A2 exams coming up, and only a third of the marks are for the manufacture.

I designed and made a cherrywood laptop case. Google wooden laptop case for a few ideas.

If you would rather work in metal, a mate designed a BBQ, which I thought was a great idea.
Reply 5
Original post by bluekipper
I've just finished A2, exam yesterday. My number one piece of advice is to choose something that is not too large and time-consuming. You need to be able to demonstrate a wide-range of skills, but try and design something that doesn't require you to repeatedly demonstrate the same skills. You don't want to be spending forever making it, with A2 exams coming up, and only a third of the marks are for the manufacture.

I designed and made a cherrywood laptop case. Google wooden laptop case for a few ideas.

If you would rather work in metal, a mate designed a BBQ, which I thought was a great idea.

Yeah friends of mine deigned buildings, kitchen stuff, games even a car. Just get loads of techniques in there and it's be schweeet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending