The Student Room Group

Girls how do you wash your feminine areas?

What do you use to wash your vulva, labia and areas around the vagina?

I know that we are told that all we need is water and that the vagina cleanses itself. The vagina has a build up of fluids and I find it uncomfortable to live without washing down there. Water is not sufficient and I usually give that area a good scrub using soap, water and a shower puff.

I admit that the shower puff is a bit OTT and that maybe I need something much more gentle. Does anyone else use a shower puff, wash cloth or other?

What are the best washing products/scrubs to use?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I use a shower puff and a nice fresh shower gel :smile:
Original post by madders94
I use a shower puff and a nice fresh shower gel :smile:

Oh great. I'm glad I'm not the only one :smile:.

Don't you think using a shower puff is a bit abrasive though?
Reply 3
You really shouldn't be putting soaps or shower gels down there, and you really shouldn't be scrubbing. You're not making it more "hygienic," you're just upsetting the balance of normal bacteria down there, making you more prone to things like thrush and bacterial vaginosis.
Original post by Helenia
You really shouldn't be putting soaps or shower gels down there, and you really shouldn't be scrubbing. You're not making it more "hygienic," you're just upsetting the balance of normal bacteria down there, making you more prone to things like thrush and bacterial vaginosis.

You can say that for the entire body. My dad washes his mouth out with diluted TCP everynight talk about upsetting bacterial balance!

Trouble is if you dont clean down below properly doesnt it start to smell. I saw a programme were lads were told to clean throughly down below maybe its different for them.
Reply 5
Original post by civilstudent
You can say that for the entire body. My dad washes his mouth out with diluted TCP everynight talk about upsetting bacterial balance!

Trouble is if you dont clean down below properly doesnt it start to smell. I saw a programme were lads were told to clean throughly down below maybe its different for them.

Not if you wash (not scrubbing with soap!) and wear clean underwear every day.

And yes, you could say that for the entire body, but the skin of the vulva/vagina is particularly susceptible to the nasties I already mentioned. The chemicals in most soaps/shower gels are also quite harsh to be used on delicate skin and can irritate it.
I often hear the vagina being compared to a self-cleaning oven hehe.

All you need is water. Anything else (excluding products specifically for it) will screw with the ph balance and you'll develop thrush. Thrush isn't fun.
I wash the vulva thoroughly yet gently with water and take care to avoid soap. I don't wash inside my vagina - that is completely unnecessary and a bit akin to washing inside your anus, or washing inside your nostrils, or inside your throat or stomach or urethra (if that were possible!). The vaginal walls are an internal mucosal surface and do not require washing.

The vagina (by which I mean the internal "tunnel", all the outside stuff is vulva) is self balancing, self cleaning and maintains the right pH and number of lactobacilli, essential to preventing overgrowth of anaerobes or thrush. You absolutely shouldn't be putting soap in it or scrubbing it. It doesn't sweat, it simply doesn't produce "dirt" - only discharge which should be clean and is removed every time you change your pants.

Otherwise I keep good vaginal (well more urethral) hygiene by peeing before and after sex, and taking care with anal-vaginal hygiene (always wipe front to back etc).
DON'T use soap. you might feel like you're giving yourself a thorough clean but really, you're only causing harm. soaps and shower gels destrol the natural pH of the vagina and will more than likely give you a bacterial infection. If you are having odour issues, it's because you're using soap, not because you aren't. I just use water and a clean flannel.
Reply 9
I thought we were talking about the area AROUND it... not the insidey bits.... in that case, just water, and no scrubbing.
Original post by civilstudent

I'd say it is very different to guys.
We have vaginas and a host of bacterial flora which keep our vagina a nice and infection-free place. By using soap, this balance is affected and is made more susceptible to invasion by the wrong sorts of microbe, and thus more likely to develop strange smells and infections. We have vaginal discharges which serve to get rid of these unwanted invaders. Guys have nothing but a very small urethra, so they do have skin which does need scrubbing and does accept soap, as otherwise it would be sweaty and would accumulate bacterial colonies making them smell bad down there.
Reply 11
Original post by Journeyzap
I'd say it is very different to guys.
We have vaginas and a host of bacterial flora which keep our vagina a nice and infection-free place. By using soap, this balance is affected and is made more susceptible to invasion by the wrong sorts of microbe, and thus more likely to develop strange smells and infections. We have vaginal discharges which serve to get rid of these unwanted invaders. Guys have nothing but a very small urethra, so they do have skin which does need scrubbing and does accept soap, as otherwise it would be sweaty and would accumulate bacterial colonies making them smell bad down there.

For uncircumcised men using scented soaps and scrubbing to clean the glans of the penis can cause problems like thrush just the same as it can in ladies.
Original post by moonkatt
For uncircumcised men using scented soaps and scrubbing to clean the glans of the penis can cause problems like thrush just the same as it can in ladies.

Good point - I was thinking more of the hairier areas.
Do NOT use soap!

I recommend using fem-fresh, it's odour and toxic free! And made for cleansing your parts!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Doctors always say to just use water.
I think warm water does the job but I'll admit to occasionally using gentle shower gel (bad for you I know!)
Reply 15
Shaving gel for the shaved area. Just water for for the more interesting bits. Hand held shower head....spray setting number 4...........
Reply 16
Yes, do not use soap, etc. All you need is water. Also, I wouldn't use products made specifically for that either, as they can be just as harmful (this very well could have changed since I last read about it, but I doubt it) and are pretty much just a way to get money out of people.
Reply 17
Fem fresh! It's designed for it so it's not too harsh, plus it smells lovely!
Reply 18
Try using Vagisil Feminine Wash with a wash cloth. It can help to keep your pH in balance and leave it smelling nice :smile:
Original post by Taetertos
Try using Vagisil Feminine Wash with a wash cloth. It can help to keep your pH in balance and leave it smelling nice :smile:

Thanks for this, what sort of wash cloth do you use?

Quick Reply

Latest