my friend's law dilema Watch

This discussion is closed.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
hey, i wonder whether the budding lawyers could give my friend some advice about what to do regarding his law application.

he got really good GCSE results (3 x's A*, 7 A's and a B) but then basically did no work for his AS levels and got BDDE in the summer. anyway he had his heart set on law and decided to apply to do law regardless of his grades in the hope he could resit and improve them this year. he got in at nottingham trent (240 points offer) and accepted a place their but since then he did his resite and found his grades had gone up to AABB and now he's predicted to get this in the summer.

what he's wondering about is taking a gap year and reapplying to better law schools next year. as law's such a competitive field he's beginning to think that a law degree from nottingham trent would be basically worthless compared to those from nottingham, manchester, newcastle, lse etc and he's have much better job prospects if he went to a better uni.

so what do you think, go to nottingham trent or reapply next year?
smashgro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
definately take a gap year & then reapply. as long as he does something interesting in his gap year then it wil b a win-win situation. after all if the worst comes to the worse and he gets rejected from lse, durham etc then he wil b able 2 get a place at nottingham trent again -so he cant really lose by reapplying. if he doesnt reapply he wil probably end up regreting it later on in life - espicially as it is sooo competitive to get a job as a solicitor or a barrister should he want 2 go into law as a career.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
hey, i wonder whether the budding lawyers could give my friend some advice about what to do regarding his law application.

he got really good GCSE results (3 x's A*, 7 A's and a B) but then basically did no work for his AS levels and got BDDE in the summer. anyway he had his heart set on law and decided to apply to do law regardless of his grades in the hope he could resit and improve them this year. he got in at nottingham trent (240 points offer) and accepted a place their but since then he did his resite and found his grades had gone up to AABB and now he's predicted to get this in the summer.

what he's wondering about is taking a gap year and reapplying to better law schools next year. as law's such a competitive field he's beginning to think that a law degree from nottingham trent would be basically worthless compared to those from nottingham, manchester, newcastle, lse etc and he's have much better job prospects if he went to a better uni.

so what do you think, go to nottingham trent or reapply next year?
i'd say he shuold definitely take a gap year and reapply, if he want's to make it as a lawyer it's the only way he'll make it, and with those grades he's probably capable fo it too.
Baby_Angelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Gap year and reapply.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
If he's sure he wouldn't mind taking a year out then he should go for it. It's better to have a degree from a distinguished university considering that career path involves a lot of competition.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Gap year and reapply - it'll be worth it if he wants a career in the law. he should try and get a years work experience at a solicitors or perhaps do a quick legal secs course and then can go on to earn £11 an hour for the rest of the year!
Missmoneypenny
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Peapod)
Gap year and reapply - it'll be worth it if he wants a career in the law. he should try and get a years work experience at a solicitors or perhaps do a quick legal secs course and then can go on to earn £11 an hour for the rest of the year!
Nottingham trent isnt that bad, it will be very hard to break into the top law schools next year what with the national law test being introduced. Getting a good degree at trent will guarantee a place on their LPC which is shared with notts uni.
azz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Missmoneypenny)
Nottingham trent isnt that bad, it will be very hard to break into the top law schools next year what with the national law test being introduced. Getting a good degree at trent will guarantee a place on their LPC which is shared with notts uni.
i'll second that, and nottingham trent has a good location in nottingham and nottingham is a very good student city generally.

according to chambers and partners law guide the City LPC at Nottingham Trent is the best in the country as well as being the most respected by employers. it definitely wouldn't be a huge let down to study there.
Wings
Report 15 years ago
First off.. he's lucky to have such a caring friend. Anyway.. i applied for law this summer and from what i hear if he aspires to work in one of the magic circle firms in london.. he must goto a top uni.. and theres no doubt about it. The truth is Law is so highly competitive.. its almost ridiculous. If you consider how many ppl want to do a law degree these days and become a lawyer and also the amount of ppl who dont do a law degree and still become a lawyer.. its increasingly hard to get the top jobs. I would advise him without a doubt to go to a better Uni... im not saying trent is bad.. just that doing law there isnt the best thing as even Universities have admitted that when they head hunt in Universities.. they would rather pick ppl who went to a good Uni and didnt do Law rather than in a lesser one and does. In some law firms they even look at your GCSE's since everyone applying has 3 A's and went to a top Uni. Good Uni's are: Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Durham/Nottingham/Warwick but they all seek around 3 A's.

Good Luck M8.. hope its been helpful
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Nottingham Trent is a reasonable Uni but with your grades you can do a lot better. Going to a better Uni will give you a big advantage if you want to work for a city solicitors or fancy going to the bar. Take a gap year. Don't restrict yourself to law in your gap year. Everyone puts work experience in law on their UCAS form and top Unis don't care that much. They're more interested in your academic side. Do something that will set you apart.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.16%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (90)
19.61%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (185)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.58%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.1%