The Student Room Group

Have you ever gone to a gig/concert/festival on your own?

I am facing the prospect of going to see Green Day on my own. At first the thought of doing so would have been abhorrent. But now I have accepted the scenario, it doesn't seem too bad.

I have never seen them as the only people in my life who ever shared a liking for rock music have been ex gfs as all my friends listen to dance music. So I was mega excited and bought the tickets back in September on the day of release. I had planned on attending with a female friend but she cannot make it now and my fourth choice pick to go with me now cannot escape work commitments. I was kind of wondering if it would have been worse going with somebody who was disinterested anyway.

So...have any of you ever done anything similar and did you enjoy the experience? What would you think of people who attend events on their own? My friend went to watch Barcelona play at the Nou Camp on her own which I thought was admirable and pretty cool. I went to watch West Ham on my own once and didn't feel too weird about the experience once the match KO'ed.

I have known people to watch football alone but not concerts and the like. I have even noticed some people post threads about attending festivals on their own which is an even bigger step from this.
I went travelling for 3 months on my own, so going to a gig is not much of a big deal to me. However, it wholly depends on your situation. You will get a few silly looks from people, who feel the need to hold hands all the while. They will look at you like you are dirt, but once they see you trying to enjoy yourself then they can respect you more.
I've gone to concerts on my own, it's better than going with someone who isn't as into them as you are. I've done that too and it was miserable, I just wanted to dance, there was a gap we could have moved forward but she was just stood there watching and complaining about being squashed. I've been to at least 3 concerts without anyone and it's fine, if you get there early-ish to queue you can scout out some friendly looking people and go and introduce yourself. I made a great friend at a Katy Perry concert, still talk to her all the time and it was about 3 years ago now. If you think it's awkward introducing yourself just remember you have something in common! Best bet is look for someone wearing a band t-shirt, sit yourself near them then say something like 'Hey cool t-shirt, have you seen (insert band here) before?'

It's a lot more fun to be there on your own than with someone who's just going for the sake of it. The only problem you might have is if you queue early you have no one to wait for you while you go the loo but as long as you talk to someone they can let you back in.
Reply 3
I remember going to V festival with an ex once. Kanye West was on stage and she wasn't a fan but I was. We were at the front and she just stood there looking grumpy. Meanwhile all these girls were stood around me dancing. Later on Foo Fighters were on and she just sat down on the floor saying she was tired so I had no choice but to walk her back to our tents and missed half the set.
I've gone to gigs on my own a few times and will do again this summer, there's nothing wrong with it. I like going to gigs with mates but I like going on my own as well. Sometimes I actually enjoy it more because I can be completely immersed in the music without anyone trying to bug me.
Reply 5
I have been to a few concerts on my own and a single day at a festival. Had a great time at every single one.

At a massive stadium show it is unlikely people will notice or care.
Reply 6
Thanks for the encouragement guys...I am incredibly excited now :badger::bl:
Reply 7
It's no biggie, I go to gigs on my own MOST of the time, since my friends have completely different taste.

It's probably better, to be honest. You get to be your own boss; turn up when you like, sit out or dance like a loon to the support band if you like. Oh, and no feeling obliged to head back to the bar when it's your round rather than enjoying the show!

Also, there's no need to be embarrassed since most people wouldn't even notice or care that you were alone - And if they do, they'll only think "man, I wish I was self-assured enough to avoid missing out on stuff due to lack of company like that"! :p:
Yes I have on a few occasions if no one else has my taste (not everyone likes The Fall for example). So it is no great problem. Green Day are excellent live.
Reply 9
Hi guys
Just got home. Didn't feel out of place at all. I managed to get near to the second barrier. And then a mosh pit materialised. Didn't plan on getting involved in it but got dragged into it and had an amazing time! Normally nobody I hang around with would be into that so this was an opportunity for me and I have managed to try something new and learned that I like moshing!
Would I do the concert/gig thing again? I think it depends. If it is a band I am thoroughly in love with then I probably would! I wouldn't say it was better or worse....just different, but in a good way.

Representing for all the solo gig goers. We rock!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
I went to Cure concert alone, but i bought a seat, not festival
I've seen decapitated and cannibal corpse on my own a few years back, both were excellent gigs and I'd do it again if no one else was interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I know green day has been and gone but an artist I love once gave me guest list with no +1 and sometimes at gigs I'll freak out and have to go to the back but I know enough people on the gig scene I usually find someone I know, I don't think I could do seated alone that'd be weird

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Oh and at takedown fest me and a friend got split up so while she was at barrier I was in the pit

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never have but when you think about it you might as well go to all gigs alone, I mean it's not exactly a social event, you just spend the night in a crowd of strangers anyway. I wouldn't go to a festival alone though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
went to download with a guy off a rock music forum. only met once before briefly with another few guys who werent camping but were about at the festival. on the thursday and friday it felt a bit odd if i was left alone at all but by saturday and sunday i couldnt care less if i lost the group and was on my own. i saw limp bizkit and maiden alone as i was moshing. yeah!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest