The Student Room Group

EDT Year in Industry Questions

Okay, so I'm currently in year 12, and have had the fortune of being an Arkwright Scholar for nearly a year now. The Arkwright Scholarship Trust is an organisation that finds engineering sponsorship for A level students. I found out my sponsor company offers places on the EDT Year in Industry scheme too, even extending the scheme as another scholarship into university, which I am definitely interested in. Subsequently I have a series of questions about the application process and the scheme itself.

Okay, so first off, applying; I've talked to tutors and teachers at school, and they all seem to be of the opinion for Engineering courses YinI really enhances an application, and that I should still apply for uni in autumn 2013 but for 2015 entry. Is this true, will uni's prefer a deferred application for YinI over a standard 2014 entry application? And should I be applying in autumn 2013 whilst doing my A levels like everyone else, or should I apply next year whilst on my YinI scheme?

Secondly, when do I apply for YinI, the website and my school don't seem to be very useful, at which point to I apply and what is the application process like? Personal Statement, interview etc...

Also, I'm aware you have to apply by region, but can you list preferred companies - will I be more likely to end up with my Arkwright sponsor company if I sneak in a little name drop? I'd like to work for my sponsors as they extend the scheme into a uni scholarship, with further summer placements. Do many companies offer this? If so what proportion would you say?

Finally, accommodation and social life, I can't really live at home, as I don't have a driving licence and I can't afford to run a car really. Will that affect my application? I've heard they'll put you into shared accommodation with other YinI scheme members, is that true? If so, are you with many others?

I realise these are a long list of questions, but my school isn't too useful on providing information, and I'm yet to find a representative to ask these questions on it. I hope someone out there can help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yini helps, but it's far from mandatory. Ultimately, academics are paramount, and the vast, vast majority of engineering undergraduates will have absolutely no relevant experience before commencing their studies.
I know it's not necessary, but I largely want to do it for financial reasons. My parents want me to be self sufficient at uni, but I don't qualify for any low income grants, so YinI gives me a better chance of saving than my minimum wage weekend job.
I am currently reaching the end of my Year in Industry (3 Months left) and whilst I cannot answer all of your questions, I can try to provide decent answers for some of them!

Personally I applied to Uni normally and then deffered my place once I had got onto the YinI scheme, my University was very supportive of this and such if you mention that you are applying to YinI you stand a very good chance of getting an offer. Definitely apply to Uni this autumn.

The application is an online form similar to a personal statement, followed by an interview with YinI. They will then pair you up with certain companies and arrange job interviews with said companies (if you need advice in any of this, feel free to message me. A job interview is different to a Uni interview!)

Definitely mention your Arkwright scholarship company, maybe don't mention the company name until your YinI interview though.

Depending on your placement you will be able to afford to run a car and still save enough for Uni. Alternatively you will be able to afford cheap rent and still save, I haven't heard of YinI students living together, but rent would still be fairly expensive.

Also, Smack doesn't have a very good point there, the majority of engineering grads will have done work (either paid or voluntary) at a relevant company by the time their degree is complete. Doing a full year gives you an advantage when getting graduate jobs as well as making it easier to get summer work.
Wow thanks for the reply man! I appreciate it!

Original post by PeteClayton
Personally I applied to Uni normally and then deffered my place once I had got onto the YinI scheme, my University was very supportive of this and such if you mention that you are applying to YinI you stand a very good chance of getting an offer. Definitely apply to Uni this autumn.

This is the bit I'm most curious about, at which point do I apply to YinI in Year 13, when do I get my offer on the scheme and when would be the best time to highlight my intentions to defer to the Uni's I am applying to? Is there a box on the UCAS form (I haven't seen the UCAS form itself yet), do I put it in my Personal Statement or should I bring it up after I receive my offers.
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Wow thanks for the reply man! I appreciate it!

This is the bit I'm most curious about, at which point do I apply to YinI in Year 13, when do I get my offer on the scheme and when would be the best time to highlight my intentions to defer to the Uni's I am applying to? Is there a box on the UCAS form (I haven't seen the UCAS form itself yet), do I put it in my Personal Statement or should I bring it up after I receive my offers.

I applied to the YinI scheme immediately after I applied to Uni (So I did mine in October)
I applied to uni mentioning that I was planning on doing a Year out, but I didn't apply for deffered entry at the time. I waited until I had my place on the YinI scheme before e-mailing my accepted Uni's and asking to defer my Uni place.
I'm just finishing year 13, and I have a place on a YinI scheme starting in september this year.
I applied for deferred entry straight away when i did ucas, saying in my personal statement that i had applied for a year in industry, and whenever i went for uni interviews they always aid that it was a great idea and really good experience, so i would definitely recommend it.
When you fill in the forms on your YinI interview day, it gives you the option of writing the name of a company if you would like them to place you there, so you could put down your sponsor company then.
I dont have a car or licence, and i'm moving out too. The company i'm placed with offer accommodation to the students, and because they take 2 YinI students, I'll be sharing. I don't know about accommodation anywhere else, but thats how mine works.
I hope that was sort of useful to you, and good luck with it all :smile:
Original post by anonymous_rose
I'm just finishing year 13, and I have a place on a YinI scheme starting in september this year.
I applied for deferred entry straight away when i did ucas, saying in my personal statement that i had applied for a year in industry, and whenever i went for uni interviews they always aid that it was a great idea and really good experience, so i would definitely recommend it.
When you fill in the forms on your YinI interview day, it gives you the option of writing the name of a company if you would like them to place you there, so you could put down your sponsor company then.
I dont have a car or licence, and i'm moving out too. The company i'm placed with offer accommodation to the students, and because they take 2 YinI students, I'll be sharing. I don't know about accommodation anywhere else, but thats how mine works.

thanks guys, you've really clarified things for me :smile:

I applied to the YinI scheme immediately after I applied to Uni (So I did mine in October)
I applied to uni mentioning that I was planning on doing a Year out, but I didn't apply for deffered entry at the time. I waited until I had my place on the YinI scheme before e-mailing my accepted Uni's and asking to defer my Uni place.
Original post by anonymous_rose

Just out of curiosity, what companies are you guys with?

Quick Reply

Latest