helpme456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can anyone please help me with genetic engineering please, I am really struggling.

What I understand so far is that DNA is isolated and then added to a vector so that it can be added to host cells (bacteria). I understand the whole process and how this is done and how to identify which bacteria have taken the vector and the rest.

Now what I dont understand is how the gene is added from the bacteria (host cell) to the the plant once they have been cloned, can anyone explain please? Eg, say the gene for resistant to herbicides is isolated and added to vector then into bacteria, bacteria are identified and grown. Then what happens?

Also, can the host cell be anything or does it have to be bacteria?
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firstly, the host cell can be a bacterium, a virus (typically a lambda phage) etc.
Secondly, the gene that is inserted in bacterial plasmid also increases in number as bacterial cells divide. Now conditions can be made ambient for the gene to express itself and make a protein product. Or the plasmid may be spliced up, and the gene identified by a probe and then isolated.
Beven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it's plants, the bacteria they use is Agrobacterium. The leaf discs of that plant are placed in a Petri dish which contains the bacteria. Some of these leaf discs will take up these plasmids and these will be separated and cultivated using the micro propagation technique... I hope this helps...
Ashnard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not sure how much you need to know but as Bevan said for plants they will use a bacterium of the genus Agrobacterium. In nature, Agrobacterium infects plants and during this process integrates a fragment of DNA from the Ti plasmid (tumour-inducing plasmid) into the plant genome. The integration of Agrobacterium Ti plasmid DNA into the plant genome results in crown gall disease in plants. In genetic engineering, this natural process is manipulated so that a DNA construct of interest is integrated into the plant genome without inducing tumour formation.

Edit: As Dynamo said, for the transformation of plants Agrobacterium is mainly used but for mammalian systems it is usually viral vectors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.41%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.66%
No (129)
35.93%

Watched Threads