The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Ask me questions *first year student*

Hey Guys,

So as the title says, I'm a first year student (Fresher) and I've just finished my first year a week ago. If you have any questions i'm here to help and answer them.

I was in you positions last year and so please do not hesitate to ask me things ABOUT UNI

Good Luck in your exams also, and hopefully you all are successful in getting to your Firm choice Uni's (whether that be Brunel or not) :smile: :smile:

Note: Please ask constructive questions about Uni and not about my personal life.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anszz
Hey Guys,

So as the title says, I'm a first year student (Fresher) and I've just finished my first year a week ago. If you have any questions i'm here to help and answer them.

I was in you positions last year and so please do not hesitate to ask me things.

Good Luck in your exams also, and hopefully you all are successful in getting to your Firm choice Uni's (whether that be Brunel or not) :smile: :smile:

xxx

Hello
I hope you had a pleasant first year, I wanted to ask, was it easy to make friends when you arrived? I know its a silly question but I don't know anyone who is going to attend. Also, how was your timetable, like did you have a lot of lesson hours and around what time would you start and end your uni day. Lastly, do any students drive to uni, I live about a 20 minute drive away so i thought I would drive sometimes rather than public transport because that would take about an hour.

I hope that's not to much
Thanks
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by middle_earth
Hello
I hope you had a pleasant first year, I wanted to ask, was it easy to make friends when you arrived? I know its a silly question but I don't know anyone who is going to attend. Also, how was your timetable, like did you have a lot of lesson hours and around what time would you start and end your uni day. Lastly, do any students drive to uni, I live about a 20 minute drive away so i thought I would drive sometimes rather than public transport because that would take about an hour.

I hope that's not to much
Thanks

Hello,

I did have a brilliant year thank you. It is very easy to make friends at Brunel, whether that be course friends or friends you make during social events or in societies (if you chose to join any). Just try not to worry about not making friends because its quiet likely that everyone is feeling as anxious and apprehensive about starting Uni.

My timetable was really good. I hardly that many lessons during the week and a lot of the time was free (however for my course it will increase in 2nd year). Depending on your course will depend on the hours and lessons each week, I know a few people who took the Product Design course and their timetable was pretty hectic. Rougly each lecture lasts around 2hours or less, however some can be more. Lessons are not timetabled as they are in school where you have set times, on some days you may have one lecture from 9-11 then nothing for the rest of the day, or on some you may have afternoon lectures which can finish as late as 6pm; just depends on your course.

Yes a lot of students do drive to Brunel, the only thing I'd say is make sure you apply for a parking permit otherwise you will not be allowed to park your car. Also make sure you leave with enough time because the majority of days spaces can be limited.
Reply 3
Can you juggle whilst walking a tightrope over a lake of sharks and electric eels?
Reply 4
Original post by Kiss
Can you juggle whilst walking a tightrope over a lake of sharks and electric eels?

I can juggle and kind of walk on a tightrope but probably not over a lake of sharks and electric eels.

Great Question though :smile:
Has your ***** become larger since september?

Is london as dirty and crowded as expected?
Reply 6
Original post by Botravaganza
Has your ***** become larger since september?

Is london as dirty and crowded as expected?

Has my what? London isn't dirty, it is crowded but that's expected it is the capital.
Reply 7
What did you achieve for your alevel?
Reply 8
Original post by ruby_v
What did you achieve for your alevel?

I done a BTEC and I recieved a DDM, which is equivalent to A Level A A B
Reply 9
Original post by Anszz
Hey Guys,

I was in you positions last year and so please do not hesitate to ask me things ABOUT UNI

Note: Please ask constructive questions about Uni and not about my personal life.

Hey Anszz! Does Brunel do any form of essay writing support workshops or drop in English workshops? My French friend is stating there in September and I'm just curious if internationals or students in general get support with things like that? Thanks in advance :smile: Laura
Reply 10
How was the change from BTecs to uni studying go? What degree are you doing :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Laslett
Hey Anszz! Does Brunel do any form of essay writing support workshops or drop in English workshops? My French friend is stating there in September and I'm just curious if internationals or students in general get support with things like that? Thanks in advance :smile: Laura

Brunel has a lot of support for International students. There are a variety of different workshops that all students can attend if they need further support. Once your friend starts Brunel they will probably be given further details of these services. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Razinho
How was the change from BTecs to uni studying go? What degree are you doing :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am studying Sport Science, which I also done at BTEC.

The teaching content is pretty much the same as at BTEC but in a lot more depth. The majority of the course was similar to the BTEC course I had done in college, apart from the fact that in Uni we have to do end of term exams and in college by doing a BTEC it was 100% coursework so that's the only real change. It was also quiet nerve racking as I have not done exams since GCSE's lol
Reply 13
Hi, Could you please tell me that when is the end of summer term? and could you also tell me that do I have to come to the fresher week? and can I still regester if I have missed it.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/international/applying-to-brunel/i-have-not-yet-applied/start-dates

Thanks
Reply 14
Original post by May Lai
Hi, Could you please tell me that when is the end of summer term? and could you also tell me that do I have to come to the fresher week? and can I still regester if I have missed it.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/international/applying-to-brunel/i-have-not-yet-applied/start-dates

Thanks

You posted the link to the international students date, am I right in thinking you are an international student? If so you should follow the dates indicated on the website, you do need to come for freshers week as that is the week of enrolment; unless stated otherwise. If you are still unsure then I'd recommend you contacting Brunel directly :smile:
Reply 15
Hello! I will hopefully begin studying at Brunel in September, and I have applied for the halls accommodation thing. This may sound like a really stupid question... but do we (as students) have to bring our own saucepans/pots etc. to use in our accommodation or will it be provided?

Thanks!
Original post by Anszz
You posted the link to the international students date, am I right in thinking you are an international student? If so you should follow the dates indicated on the website, you do need to come for freshers week as that is the week of enrolment; unless stated otherwise. If you are still unsure then I'd recommend you contacting Brunel directly :smile:

Which accommodation to choose (the best 1 for Freshers)?

&

How is Brunel in business and Management Degree?

cheers
Reply 17
Original post by rikkihunt1
Hello! I will hopefully begin studying at Brunel in September, and I have applied for the halls accommodation thing. This may sound like a really stupid question... but do we (as students) have to bring our own saucepans/pots etc. to use in our accommodation or will it be provided?

Thanks!

If you plan on living in halls you have to bring everything yourself. Brunel only provides a usable kitchen with 2 sinks, 2 cookers, 2 fridges, 2 freezers and each person has their own lockable kitchen cupboard.

So yes you need to buy pots, pans, plates, cutlery and so on.
Reply 18
Original post by cleverrider
Which accommodation to choose (the best 1 for Freshers)?

&

How is Brunel in business and Management Degree?

cheers

I would say the best one is either Bishops or Lancaster Complex. I lived in Bishops. They are accommodation for Freshers but some flats do have older students.

I unfortunately do not do the business and management course so therefore I cannot comment on what it's like.
Reply 19
Original post by Anszz
If you plan on living in halls you have to bring everything yourself. Brunel only provides a usable kitchen with 2 sinks, 2 cookers, 2 fridges, 2 freezers and each person has their own lockable kitchen cupboard.

So yes you need to buy pots, pans, plates, cutlery and so on.

Ok thank you, really helped me out! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending