The Student Room Group

Physics in Geophysics??

I'm interested in doing Geology/Geophysics in university and I know this is going to sound like a stupid question.

Is there a lot of physics in Geophysics???
Reply 1
It will depend on which university you go to, but generally yes, there is a lot of physics and maths.

At my university everyone studying an Earth Sciences degree (Geology, Geophysics etc) did pretty much the same course in first year. So while there was some physics, it wasn't too heavy. People branched off slightly more in 2nd year, and then in 3rd and 4th years people were doing very different courses. So the amount of physics will increase in later years. The really important thing is to be good with maths.
Reply 2
Original post by Zottula
It will depend on which university you go to, but generally yes, there is a lot of physics and maths.

At my university everyone studying an Earth Sciences degree (Geology, Geophysics etc) did pretty much the same course in first year. So while there was some physics, it wasn't too heavy. People branched off slightly more in 2nd year, and then in 3rd and 4th years people were doing very different courses. So the amount of physics will increase in later years. The really important thing is to be good with maths.

Maths is my strongest subject fortunately so that's quite pleasing to hear. However Physics isn't but I'm sure it would be a good challenge.

What degree are you doing and at what uni? :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by danny9253
Maths is my strongest subject fortunately so that's quite pleasing to hear. However Physics isn't but I'm sure it would be a good challenge.

What degree are you doing and at what uni? :smile:

Thanks!

Yeah you will be fine then. Most of the physics is very maths focused. Obviously you need to be quite good at Physics too, but work hard and you'll be fine.

I'm at Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending