This discussion is closed.
meganhigginsx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hiya,

I've signed up to do the Extended Project Qualification and have decided that I want to do some kind of essay/report based around psychology, mainly to demonstrate my interest in the subject when I come to write my personal statement applying to do a psychology degree at university. But I'm really really stuck on where to start with it so I thought maybe someone on here might have some ideas and be able to help?

I need like a fairly broad topic in the form of a question which has been quite heavily researched with a lot of studies which I can essentially weigh up and write a balanced argument about to come to some kind of conclusion in an essay (that's the impression I'm under at least). So I think like as an example "Are psychopaths a product of nature or nurture?" I mean I don't want to do that specifically but something like that I think that has had quite a lot of research gone into it which I can put together in a project.

I'm quite open about which direction to take with it really... I want to avoid the biological side of psychology as far as possible but a small component from that angle is fine. And then like I don't want to do anything on sport psychology either, not my thing... I know that's very broad but I'm just wondering if anything springs to mind which you think I could really get stuck into and have a lot to talk about?

I really would appreciate it very much if anyone had any suggestions or ideas... I just have no idea where to go with it at all!

Thank you!
jodie.irwin27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by meganhigginsx)
Hiya,

I've signed up to do the Extended Project Qualification and have decided that I want to do some kind of essay/report based around psychology, mainly to demonstrate my interest in the subject when I come to write my personal statement applying to do a psychology degree at university. But I'm really really stuck on where to start with it so I thought maybe someone on here might have some ideas and be able to help?

I need like a fairly broad topic in the form of a question which has been quite heavily researched with a lot of studies which I can essentially weigh up and write a balanced argument about to come to some kind of conclusion in an essay (that's the impression I'm under at least). So I think like as an example "Are psychopaths a product of nature or nurture?" I mean I don't want to do that specifically but something like that I think that has had quite a lot of research gone into it which I can put together in a project.

I'm quite open about which direction to take with it really... I want to avoid the biological side of psychology as far as possible but a small component from that angle is fine. And then like I don't want to do anything on sport psychology either, not my thing... I know that's very broad but I'm just wondering if anything springs to mind which you think I could really get stuck into and have a lot to talk about?

I really would appreciate it very much if anyone had any suggestions or ideas... I just have no idea where to go with it at all!

Thank you!
may i ask, what is the extended project qualification?
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya,

Thank you!
The nature/nurture question tends to be quite a popular one, probably because it's such an interesting subject. I had a friend who did her EPQ on the psychological effects of smoking/giving up smoking, which comes under the broader topic of addictions and how they come about etc. Another friend wanted to to orthoptics at uni so she did her EPQ on whether having a sight disorder will have psychological effect in later life. Obviously that's a really specific one but maybe you could pick a certain mental illness that interests you and base your EPQ on that? Just a few ideas, hope it all goes well
dreadpiraterach
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jodie.irwin27)
may i ask, what is the extended project qualification?
It's a qualification offered by AQA which is worth half an A Level. Some universities accept it as part of your offer, some don't. Some sixth forms & colleges make it compulsory, some don't.

What you have to do is pick a certain topic - usually relating to what you want to study at university- and do a project on it. Usually you get quite a long time to do it, and you use that time to research and keep a log of each stage in the process. Most people do a 5000 word essay, although some choose to make an artifact or do a performance, depending on what their strengths are. (Artifacts & performances still have to be accompanied by a 1000 word essay and a log). Everyone also does a powerpoint presentation about what they've found, what the difficulties were & how they overcame them, etc.
Sannn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry that I can't help out with suggestions, but I've done a psychology EPQ and just throwing the offer out there: if you wanna see the structure/layout/whatever for some kind of guide/inspiration, give me your email on a private PM and I'll send it over It got an A, and it's on bio/neuropsychology (so I realize it won't help for ideas - hence why I'm suggesting it for layout/structural purposes )

Edit: I AM NO LONGER GIVING OUT MY EPQ, please stop asking me!
meganhigginsx
Rep:
?
(Original post by dreadpiraterach)
The nature/nurture question tends to be quite a popular one, probably because it's such an interesting subject. I had a friend who did her EPQ on the psychological effects of smoking/giving up smoking, which comes under the broader topic of addictions and how they come about etc. Another friend wanted to to orthoptics at uni so she did her EPQ on whether having a sight disorder will have psychological effect in later life. Obviously that's a really specific one but maybe you could pick a certain mental illness that interests you and base your EPQ on that? Just a few ideas, hope it all goes well
Hey, thanks for the reply :-)

I have to be careful that whatever I do doesn't overlap too much with my A Level specification which is annoying... I've looked at explanations of abnormality in general and different views on what causes mental illnesses but nothing specific so I might be okay. I'm considering autism, what do you think? Would it be best to go down the "what causes autism?" route or do you think a different angle would be better? I feel like I'm making stabs in the dark to a certain extent with this whole thing j must admit...

I've also thought about something relating to personality but again, it's pinpointing the specific question and direction to take it in since personality is such a broad topic... Ah I just don't know!!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
meganhigginsx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sannn)
Sorry that I can't help out with suggestions, but I've done a psychology EPQ and just throwing the offer out there: if you wanna see the structure/layout/whatever for some kind of guide/inspiration, give me your email on a private PM and I'll send it over It got an A, and it's on bio/neuropsychology (so I realize it won't help for ideas - hence why I'm suggesting it for layout/structural purposes )
Ah that would be wonderful and very much appreciated! I've sent a PM, thank you :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
dreadpiraterach
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, thanks for the reply :-)

I have to be careful that whatever I do doesn't overlap too much with my A Level specification which is annoying... I've looked at explanations of abnormality in general and different views on what causes mental illnesses but nothing specific so I might be okay. I'm considering autism, what do you think? Would it be best to go down the "what causes autism?" route or do you think a different angle would be better? I feel like I'm making stabs in the dark to a certain extent with this whole thing j must admit...

I've also thought about something relating to personality but again, it's pinpointing the specific question and direction to take it in since personality is such a broad topic... Ah I just don't know!!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand, I had to change my EPQ because it clashed with something on the English syllabus! Autism is interesting but the most widely accepted cause of it is that it's just a genetic thing, so the basis of the project could get quite biological which you said you weren't so comfortable with. Autism would be a good basis for an EPQ but if you wanted to avoid the biological stuff, you'd have to find a slightly more psychological approach. Maybe you could talk about how autism affects the development of children, or maybe how it affects people in later life? Alternatively you could explore links between autism and other conditions- for example, depression is really common in people on the Aspergers end of the spectrum, so you could base your EPQ on that if it interested you.

My dad works for the National Autistic Society, maybe you could have a look at their website for some ideas. If you've not finished college for the summer yet then talk about it with your psychology teacher and see if there's any particular subject that he/she would reccommend. I'm sure you'll think of something x
sw24th
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am going to start my EPQ this year and it would be really helpful if you can send me your EPQ to me as a sample.
Thanks
OreoCookie181
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sannn)
I realise that this thread was from ages ago but would you mind saying what your question was? Neuropsychology is what I would like to do when I'm older so I've been trying to come up with questions linked to that
Sannn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OreoCookie181)
I realise that this thread was from ages ago but would you mind saying what your question was? Neuropsychology is what I would like to do when I'm older so I've been trying to come up with questions linked to that
'What effect does pain have on the mind?'
Lem0ns
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sannn)

Hey - would it be possible to send me that essay too? As I am wanting to do a psychology EPQ but struggling for layout/structure ideas!
Sannn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lem0ns)
Hey - would it be possible to send me that essay too? As I am wanting to do a psychology EPQ but struggling for layout/structure ideas!
Would need your email address
Charlottelt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What areas of psychology are you interested in? I completed mine with the final title "Assess the psychological causes of prejudice and discrimination in individuals and UK society" encompassing psychology and a bit sociology.

My advice is to look at the University website that you want to attend and look at the modules. See if any particular aspects interest you. Then when it comes to results day at the end of A2 levels you can really use the EPQ to sell yourself. I learnt lots of studies which I would need to know for my degree by doing it that way. Good luck. Feel free to message for advice, wording, etc.
Azizzada
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi dear sannn I have read ur comment and I am doing to do EPQ in psychology as well so is there any chance that you can help me with??
abidebra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya, I'm currently doing an EPQ in psychology too and I'm completely stuck on how to layout and how to structure it and I'm so glad I came across this. Do you mind sending me it too so I can have a rough idea on it. It would be so helpful! Thank you x
fkh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sannn)
Hi Sannn, I've been trying to find a layout/structure for my psychology EPQ essay and was wondering if it was at all possible that i could see the structure of yours too? I am really struggling right now! :/
Sannn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fkh)
Hi Sannn, I've been trying to find a layout/structure for my psychology EPQ essay and was wondering if it was at all possible that i could see the structure of yours too? I am really struggling right now! :/
Sure, I'd need your email address however
itshannah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sannn)
Hi, I was wondering if I could see your essay too? Im also doing my EPQ on psychology and need help with the layout. Any help would be great, thanks.
Sannn
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itshannah)
Hi, I was wondering if I could see your essay too? Im also doing my EPQ on psychology and need help with the layout. Any help would be great, thanks.
Sure! I'd need your email (best do this on PM)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (154)
51.85%
No (143)
48.15%

Watched Threads