The Student Room Group

French Grammar PowerPoint

Hi guys,
I've made a PowerPoint for French, it covers all the basics of grammar... From GCSE ---> Most of A2 I think.

Now basically, I want you guys to ask for a copy, suggest improvements, what you like, what you don't like and what else you want.

Then I want to edit my PowerPoint until it's great for a GCSE or even an A2 Candidate!

It'll be an ongoing process and I'd appreciate people of all levels to ask for a copy!

Please PM me your email addresses and then comment on this thread for improvements and we can all discuss it :colondollar:

In the future I'd like to try with other languages... (Italian, Spanish etc) so I could use this as a base.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's nothing on the powerpoint:eek:
Reply 2
Original post by Godsboy007
There's nothing on the powerpoint:eek:

:eek: what?! There should be 40+ slides :emo:

I'll send it tonight from the laptop...
Reply 3
Thanks.Appreciated
Reply 4
Original post by Godsboy007
Thanks.Appreciated

Resent it :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Bump.
Reply 6
Bumpety bump.

Bad time to bump actually... Will re do later...
Reply 7
BUMP :teehee: I've sent a few copies out, but no feedback:frown:
Reply 8
Here's some feedback;

I spotted a few mistakes with the following -
The RE endings are not correct, should be s,s,-.ons,ez,ent
Missing accent on the êtes, in the table
Forming the perfect tense - if I were you I'd add in about être agreements as well as include the full list of 'Mrs Vandertramp' verbs
The past participle of avoir is eu
The Pluperfect tense, is not the imperfect of avoir and the p.p. It is the past participle of the auxiliary, which may be être and the pp. Eg elles étaient allées

That's all I could find mistake wise, well done! I think it's a good PowerPoint which should help some people out particularly at GCSE or early in AS study.
Reply 9
Original post by jcm222
Here's some feedback;

Forming the perfect tense - if I were you I'd add in about être agreements as well as include the full list of 'Mrs Vandertramp' verbs
The Pluperfect tense, is not the imperfect of avoir and the p.p. It is the past participle of the auxiliary, which may be être and the pp. Eg elles étaient allées

That's all I could find mistake wise, well done! I think it's a good PowerPoint which should help some people out particularly at GCSE or early in AS study.

Aah, okay!

So clear things up and correct mistakes. Accents...

Initially I made it in a rush to make my friend revise some French! :lol:

If I correct all that, add in slides on what I said I would...

Add in some passive sentences? Eg j'ai été jeté des toits par une petite fille? (je ne sais pas pourquoi je l'ai utilisé pour un exemple... Mais :tongue:)

What can I do to help AS students more?
Original post by jcm222
Here's some feedback;

Errm the pluperfect is formed with the imperfect of the auxiliary verb + past participle, not with the past participle of auxiliary, which would give you "J'eu mangé". I assume this was a typo and you were just pointing out that avoir is not the only auxiliary verb?
Reply 11
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Errm the pluperfect is formed with the imperfect of the auxiliary verb + past participle, not with the past participle of auxiliary, which would give you "J'eu mangé". I assume this was a typo and you were just pointing out that avoir is not the only auxiliary verb?

Yeah I wrote avoir, and I think I mentioned etre but didn't write "auxiliary verb"

J'avais voulu...?
J'étais parti...?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah I wrote avoir, and I think I mentioned etre but didn't write "auxiliary verb"

J'avais voulu...?
J'étais parti...?

Yep that's right
Reply 13
Yep that's right

Merci

I know the stuff, just not how to communicate it perfectly. Hence the errors :/
Merci

I know the stuff, just not how to communicate it perfectly. Hence the errors :/

I would recommend reading a grammar book like http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Grammar-Usage-Roger-Hawkins/dp/0340991240 - you pick up the more technical terms quickly.
Reply 15
I would recommend reading a grammar book like http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Grammar-Usage-Roger-Hawkins/dp/0340991240 - you pick up the more technical terms quickly.

Hmmm... Okay, thanks!

Do you think I should use words like:
Diminutive and that
Hmmm... Okay, thanks!

Do you think I should use words like:
Diminutive and that

It all depends on your target audience. You could use technical terms and then explain them, but obviously that would make your presentation even longer.
Reply 17
It all depends on your target audience. You could use technical terms and then explain them, but obviously that would make your presentation even longer.

Hmmm... See, I thought I'd not use those words and tone it down, but then that leads to misinterpretations some times (eg the avoir)

Thanks for the input:smile:
Reply 18
Slide 2
Title: Nouns and Articles
For clarity the (definite article), a/an (indefinite article), some (partitive article)
Note: The definite article l’ is used before masculine and feminine nouns beginning with a vowel or silent ‘h’ (in most cases)

Slide 3
For clarity: Change title to ‘Subject Personal Pronouns’ as there are different types of pronoun.

Slide 4
For clarity: Change title to ‘The Three Verb Families’.
Add a short sentence explaining that in French, all verbs end with either ‘-er’, ‘-re’ or ‘-ir’.

Slide 5
For clarity: Reword the final sentence so that the audience (GCSE students) will understand. For example ‘Notice that there is only one present tense in French that covers three tenses in English’.

Slide 8
Note: '-re' endings are '-s', '-s', '-', '-ons', '-ez', '-ent'.

Slide 10
Add an explanation of the fact that there are some verbs which are irregular and that four of the most commonly used irregular verbs are listed below.
Note: 'vous FAITES' and 'vous ÊTES'

Slide 13
Add an example next to each explanation. E.g. '-er' verbs - remove '-er' and add 'é' E.G. JOUÉ.

Slide 15
List all the verbs which take 'etre' in the perfect. These are; Monter, Retourner, Sortir, Venir, Arriver, Naître, Descendre, Entrer, Rester, Tomber, Rentrer, Aller, Mourir, Partir. These can easily be remembered by MRS VAN DER TRAMP.
Note: Reflexive verbs also take 'etre' in the perfect.

Slide 16
Note: The past participle of 'avoir' is 'eu'. 'Allé' is not an irregular past participle, so 'aller' can be omitted from this list.

Slide 20
For clarity: Reword the final sentence. For example, 'for '-er' and '-ir' verbs, add the endings. For '-re' verbs, remove the 'e' and add the endings.

Slide 30
Remove 'To form this tense you add the following endings onto the stem of a verb'. Instead, add explanation to beginning of slide 31. Note: The imperfect tense is formed by dropping the '-ons' ending from the first person plural (nous) of the present tense and adding the endings.
Create a new slide after slide 31, in which you list the irregular stems that you have done so in slide 30.

Slide 33
Note: MRS VAN DER TRAMP and reflexive verbs take 'etre' as their auxiliary verb in the past conditional.

Slide 35
Note: MRS VAN DER TRAMP and reflexive verbs take 'etre' as their auxiliary verb in the pluperfect.

Slide 37
Note:After the verb 'vouloir' + que.

Slide 39
Note: Nous voulions QUE la fille ait...

Slide 40
Note: MRS VAN DER TRAMP and reflexive verbs take 'etre' as their auxiliary verb in the perfect subjunctive.
Note: Je suis contente qu'elles soient VENUES.

Slide 43
Note: J'ai ranger DES boulons. Je les ai ORGANISÉS (the past participle agrees with the preceding direct object (in this case, 'les').
Reply 19
Original post by alouette-
Slide 2
Title: Nouns and Articles
For clarity the (definite article), a/an (indefinite article), some (partitive article)
Note: The definite article l’ is used before masculine and feminine nouns beginning with a vowel or silent ‘h’ (in most cases)

Slide 3
For clarity: Change title to ‘Subject Personal Pronouns’ as there are different types of pronoun.

Slide 4
For clarity: Change title to ‘The Three Verb Families’.
Add a short sentence explaining that in French, all verbs end with either ‘-er’, ‘-re’ or ‘-ir’.

Slide 5
For clarity: Reword the final sentence so that the audience (GCSE students) will understand. For example ‘Notice that there is only one present tense in French that covers three tenses in English’.

Slide 8
Note: '-re' endings are '-s', '-s', '-', '-ons', '-ez', '-ent'.

Slide 10
Add an explanation of the fact that there are some verbs which are irregular and that four of the most commonly used irregular verbs are listed below.
Note: 'vous FAITES' and 'vous ÊTES'

Slide 13
Add an example next to each explanation. E.g. '-er' verbs - remove '-er' and add 'é' E.G. JOUÉ.

Slide 15
List all the verbs which take 'etre' in the perfect. These are; Monter, Retourner, Sortir, Venir, Arriver, Naître, Descendre, Entrer, Rester, Tomber, Rentrer, Aller, Mourir, Partir. These can easily be remembered by MRS VAN DER TRAMP.
Note: Reflexive verbs also take 'etre' in the perfect.

Slide 16
Note: The past participle of 'avoir' is 'eu'. 'Allé' is not an irregular past participle, so 'aller' can be omitted from this list.

Slide 20
For clarity: Reword the final sentence. For example, 'for '-er' and '-ir' verbs, add the endings. For '-re' verbs, remove the 'e' and add the endings.

Slide 30
Remove 'To form this tense you add the following endings onto the stem of a verb'. Instead, add explanation to beginning of slide 31. Note: The imperfect tense is formed by dropping the '-ons' ending from the first person plural (nous) of the present tense and adding the endings.
Create a new slide after slide 31, in which you list the irregular stems that you have done so in slide 30.

Slide 33
Note: MRS VAN DER TRAMP and reflexive verbs take 'etre' as their auxiliary verb in the past conditional.

Slide 35
Note: MRS VAN DER TRAMP and reflexive verbs take 'etre' as their auxiliary verb in the pluperfect.

Slide 37
Note:After the verb 'vouloir' + que.

Slide 39
Note: Nous voulions QUE la fille ait...

Slide 40
Note: MRS VAN DER TRAMP and reflexive verbs take 'etre' as their auxiliary verb in the perfect subjunctive.
Note: Je suis contente qu'elles soient VENUES.

Slide 43
Note: J'ai ranger DES boulons. Je les ai ORGANISÉS (the past participle agrees with the preceding direct object (in this case, 'les').

I edited some of those :colondollar: must have sent the old copy.

Thank you so much for that! I shall go onto the browser so that I can try and rep you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest