The Student Room Group

Economics f583 june 2013 work and leisure exam!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roger1
Thanks for this.

Can you please explain net advantage to me?

Pecuniary and non-pecuniary benefits of a job.
Reply 41
Original post by Quantum_Phantom
Word of advice, try not to focus so much on the leisure markets ( cinema, broadcasting, travel and sports). My teacher who used to mark these papers outlined 6 key areas that may come up,

1. Monopsony - how it leads to LMF - TU intervention = Bilateral monopoly.
2. Discrimination - again the extent to which this results in labour market failure
3. Elasticity of supply - How it determines wages
4. Types of Flexibility
5. Definitions: Economic inactivity, Net Advantage, Regulation, Labour Market Failure.
6. Govt Intervention to reduce poverty

He said he'd put money on Discrimination coming up in Section B.

Thanks it would be awesome if those came up!

What do you mean by types of flexibility?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Anyone know how to structure the essay and tips for the full marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by cheese94
Thanks it would be awesome if those came up!

What do you mean by types of flexibility?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Occupational, contractual , geographical and wage flexibility.

Which exam board are those predictions for?
Reply 44
Original post by Mulfy
Occupational, contractual , geographical and wage flexibility.

Which exam board are those predictions for?

Oh yea! Thanks! It's OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Just hoping we get a nice 15 and 20 marker on PED and labour demand or something similar!
Reply 46
What's the difference between pecuniary and non pecuniary?
Original post by sabahijaz
What's the difference between pecuniary and non pecuniary?

One is money related, the other is not.
Reply 48
What are main points to know about a bilateral monopoly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Word of advice, try not to focus so much on the leisure markets ( cinema, broadcasting, travel and sports). My teacher who used to mark these papers outlined 6 key areas that may come up,

2. Discrimination - again the extent to which this results in labour market failure
4. Types of Flexibility
5. Definitions: Economic inactivity, Net Advantage, Regulation, Labour Market Failure.

How does discrimination cause labour market failure( i know but not enough for an essay so any ideas?)

so you don't think market structures will come up ?

4. Types of Flexibility

Your teacher is a legend, I focused on discrimination and flexibility and they just happened to be in the essays :biggrin:
Reply 51
anyone do question 4???
Reply 52
Just finished the exam and really don't know how it went. I'm quite worried about the last question 4 (b). The question was something like;
Discuss the extent to which the Marginal Revenue Product determines wages in a contemporary real world mark.

I started with definition

The explained the theory a bit like saying when MRP=MCL this is the quantity of labor employed. Then I applied that to doctors..and did a diagram where both MRP=MCL cross and hence thats the wage rate.

Then I put many however...like talking about monopoly supplier (doctors) since all workers part of BMA trade union. and how they bargain for wage rate above...
and then i said that same amount waiters how monopsony employers bargain for wage rate below equiblirbium

and talked a little about national minimum wage..

but the things i'm a bit confused about...is in the real world MRPoductivity theory has no real influence on wage rates righht?

I just found that really awkward because all my points where based on the fact MRPoductivity theory does not in real world work?

What would you think about about that question? It's just really strange because how can you get a balanced discussion when all the points are saying like no it does not determine wages. I did though explain/analyse the theory anyway as in a perfectly competitive market?
Reply 53
Original post by king101
Just finished the exam and really don't know how it went. I'm quite worried about the last question 4 (b). The question was something like;
Discuss the extent to which the Marginal Revenue Product determines wages in a contemporary real world mark.

I started with definition

The explained the theory a bit like saying when MRP=MCL this is the quantity of labor employed. Then I applied that to doctors..and did a diagram where both MRP=MCL cross and hence thats the wage rate.

Then I put many however...like talking about monopoly supplier (doctors) since all workers part of BMA trade union. and how they bargain for wage rate above...
and then i said that same amount waiters how monopsony employers bargain for wage rate below equiblirbium

and talked a little about national minimum wage..

but the things i'm a bit confused about...is in the real world MRPoductivity theory has no real influence on wage rates righht?

I just found that really awkward because all my points where based on the fact MRPoductivity theory does not in real world work?

What would you think about about that question? It's just really strange because how can you get a balanced discussion when all the points are saying like no it does not determine wages. I did though explain/analyse the theory anyway as in a perfectly competitive market?

I chose that one and regretted it after lol
I started with mrp = mrp x price
explained all of mrp and why it isn't applicable to the real world but why it's still relevant
then I put in the real world wages are also determined by supply and wrote all about labour supply, then I wrote about exceptions like min wage, union influence, discrimination and concluded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by indyb16
I chose that one and regretted it after lol
I started with mrp = mrp x price
explained all of mrp and why it isn't applicable to the real world but why it's still relevant
then I put in the real world wages are also determined by supply and wrote all about labour supply, then I wrote about exceptions like min wage, union influence, discrimination and concluded

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did that I think. How did you explain MRP? Did you draw diagrams like when MRP =MCL (MRP=demand curve) (MCL=supply curve) when these cross= quantity of labour and wage rate...then I said if the demand increase due to increase productivity of say doctors it increases MRP etc..and showed shifts...

OOOOOOh I never wrote anything about supply DAAAM!
I did question 2, something like:
a) Discuss the behaviour of monopoly firms.
b) Comment on the extent to which competition can create efficiency.

Did anyone else do this?
Reply 56
Original post by The Polymath

Did anyone else do this?

I did question 4. It was ridiculously hard.

how did u find the rest of the paper.
Original post by king101
I did question 4. It was ridiculously hard.

how did u find the rest of the paper.

The rest was fine. Weird how they focused it all on income inequality though.
Reply 58
The rest was fine. Weird how they focused it all on income inequality though.

What did you write for discuss the extent to which progressive taxes are effective in reducing income inequality?
Reply 59

Did anyone else do this?

I did, not sure if it was a particularly good choice but I managed to write a fair bit and include some diagrams. I'm more worried about section A though really. What did you write about in the section B questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending