The Student Room Group

Standard Grade uni questions

When you apply to uni with your SG on your UCAS form, do the unis see the overall award you received or which grade you received for each component?

For example I got a 1 in KU for maths and a 2 for the PS. Do unis see an overall 1 or all the pieces of info?
I think they only see the overall mark, although I can't be too sure..:s
Reply 2
I hope so because I don't want the Unis to know that I am that bad at maths tehehe :biggrin:. I know that unis do not see your bands unless you tell them or it is Cambridge. So I am guessing that it is probably the same for the components in SG.

Oh and you know how some unis down south want mainly A and A*'s at GCSE. What would be the Scottish equivalent be if there even is one?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
For SG it's definitely overall grade.
Reply 4
I also got a C in Higher Music when I was in 4th year. I don't know how unis will view this...it won't be included in my 5 highers when I apply for uni this year but I don't think unis will look favorably on the fact that I got a lame C.

What does a C at higher equal to in terms of SG or int 2?
Original post by xoJennyox
I hope so because I don't want the Unis to know that I am that bad at maths tehehe :biggrin:. I know that unis do not see your bands unless you tell them or it is Cambridge. So I am guessing that it is probably the same for the components in SG.

Oh and you know how some unis down south want mainly A and A*'s at GCSE. What would be the Scottish equivalent be if there even is one?

Seeing as the vast majority of pupils can only do 8 SGs, 8 1s would be the equivalent, although I doubt it matters much if you have a couple of 2s, or even a 3 (as I do in maths :colondollar:). I doubt they place much emphasis on them tbh, but it is quite intimidating when you look on the Oxbridge forums and so many people seem to have 12 A*s at GCSE. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Seeing as the vast majority of pupils can only do 8 SGs, 8 1s would be the equivalent, although I doubt it matters much if you have a couple of 2s, or even a 3 (as I do in maths :colondollar:). I doubt they place much emphasis on them tbh, but it is quite intimidating when you look on the Oxbridge forums and so many people seem to have 12 A*s at GCSE. :smile:

I know, that is exactly why I am worried about applying to unis down South. I saw someone on a forum that had 15 A*s at GSCE but was not successful. I got 5 1's, one 2, a Band 1 A in Int 2 Eng, C at Higher Music.

I have read that LSE in particular put lots of emphasis on the GSCEs or equivalent. So I don't know where to apply to now! Oxford also put emphasis on them more so than Cambridge who care more about Highers, but nowhere near as picky as LSE :s-smilie:.
Reply 7
"A lame C"...

I still managed to get uni offers despite getting a C at Higher English.
Reply 8
Original post by Nfergs
"A lame C"...

I still managed to get uni offers despite getting a C at Higher English.

I was expected to get at least a B so I was very disappointed. And music is nowhere near as tough going as English is! And I want to apply for law...and I know that C's don't look good by the admission tutors :s-smilie:.
I was expected to get at least a B so I was very disappointed. And music is nowhere near as tough going as English is! And I want to apply for law...and I know that C's don't look good by the admission tutors :s-smilie:.

Well, music isn't directly relevant to the subject you want to apply for. I realise that law is competitive but if you get the grades this year, I think they'd be willing to overlook it. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Well, music isn't directly relevant to the subject you want to apply for. I realise that law is competitive but if you get the grades this year, I think they'd be willing to overlook it. :smile:

I sure hope so. I better get my A's then :biggrin:.

I know that Edinburgh aren't too picky if I get my predicted grades but English Unis just want the brightest and the best. And a C at Higher is never too good. At least it wasn't a D!

Universities do see the band you get for Highers and Advanced Highers :yes: Sorry, if that's not what you meant when you said bands. They only say your overall SG grades though, they're not massively interested in your SGs.
Reply 12
Original post by Ecosse_14
Universities do see the band you get for Highers and Advanced Highers :yes: Sorry, if that's not what you meant when you said bands. They only say your overall SG grades though, they're not massively interested in your SGs.

Oh okay thanks :smile:.

I was told that Unis do not see your bands for your Highers or AH's, I have read that the only uni who are currently interested in them is Cambridge who request the bands in their SAQ form.

I also emailed Oxford the other day and they said that they don't see our bands or require High A's. But if we do get a number Band 1 A's then our teacher should put that on her reference to make our application stronger.

I am so confused now :s-smilie:.
Oh okay thanks :smile:.

I was told that Unis do not see your bands for your Highers or AH's, I have read that the only uni who are currently interested in them is Cambridge who request the bands in their SAQ form.

I also emailed Oxford the other day and they said that they don't see our bands or require High A's. But if we do get a number Band 1 A's then our teacher should put that on her reference to make our application stronger.

I am so confused now :s-smilie:.

Scrap that, they probably only see them when you actually confirm you're attending. Which probably makes more sense! Apologies :colondollar:

The university you go to definitely sees them anyway :tongue: But yeah, you're right.. universities don't really care for them apart from a couple down South who request them in their conditional offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending