The Student Room Group

Cyclist ran a red light and hit me...

I was waiting to cross a road and when the green man appeared I started to walk, a cyclist on the road didn't bother stopping and hit me. I fell on my side and scraped my arm and my hands and he had just went back a bit then carried on cycling around me, didn't even say sorry or ask if I was ok :mad:

I don't even know why but I'm still a bit shaken up about it, someone make me feel ok again :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Remember his face...
Reply 2
Ahh this is annoying! Really sorry to hear this, just looked it up and it is an offence. The fact he didn't apologise is just plain rude!
Have a cup of tea and a chocolate bar and you'll be fine *hug* :biggrin:
I'm a cyclist too, and that person was clearly a knob :sadnod:

Golden rule: if you are going to jump a light then don't cross another vehicle's path or hit a pedestrian

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm a cyclist too, and that person was clearly a knob :sadnod:

Golden rule: if you are going to jump a light then don't cross another vehicle's path or hit a pedestrian

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think a better rule would be to obey the same rules of the road as everyone else, and not jump the lights in the first place.
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Sorry to hear that. Hitting someone could easily be a mistake, but there is no excuse for pulling back and cycling round them.

If you want a positive to it, at least you will now be wary of trusting other people at crossings, which might save your life one day. At least that cyclist wasn't driving a motorbike or car. :smile:
What a complete dickhead. Hope you're alright.

If it's any consolation, he'll almost certainly end up injured himself, if he continues disregarding the rules of the road like that.
absolute douche bag, in some ways it is reasons like this that make me understand why cyclists should have some form of insurance ..hope you ok bro :wink2:
Reply 8
I hear cyclists in London can be pricks, more so than the rest of the country.

(I am a cyclist myself)
It is for reasons like this that I would be in favour of a form of registration plate system for cyclists. My mum was hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement and had to go A&E - likewise the cyclist didn't stop.

Still, on topic - hope you are ok!
Thank you all for replying :smile: I'm feeling better now, only have a few bruises and cuts on my arm but they'll go away soon
Original post by rmhumphries
It is for reasons like this that I would be in favour of a form of registration plate system for cyclists. My mum was hit by a cyclist riding on the pavement and had to go A&E - likewise the cyclist didn't stop.

Still, on topic - hope you are ok!

Lol @ the notion of a registration plate system for cyclists. If that was to ever happen, I hope the Government would also add registration plates to pedestrians and people in general as they do things like what happened to this woman I e accidentally knock people over. The incidence of cyclists causing accidents like this is extremely rare : /

To OP though I'm sorry about what happened, this particular cyclist sounds like a right ****.
Original post by theonefrombrum
Lol @ the notion of a registration plate system for cyclists. If that was to ever happen, I hope the Government would also add registration plates to pedestrians and people in general as they do things like what happened to this woman I e accidentally knock people over. The incidence of cyclists causing accidents like this is extremely rare : /

To OP though I'm sorry about what happened, this particular cyclist sounds like a right ****.

The reasoning behind it is that cyclists can cause much more damage to a pedestrian than a pedestrian to a cyclist. Cyclists are road users at the end of the day, why is a registration system any more silly than a registration system on cars?
Original post by Architecture-er
I think a better rule would be to obey the same rules of the road as everyone else, and not jump the lights in the first place.

There are good reasons why, in some circumstances, jumping a red light can make everyone as safe or safer. Those circumstances occur when you are (in summary) not deviating from line of the kerb (e.g. left turns are fine, right turns aren't) as you do not cross the path of another road user, and you do not go over a ped crossing when someone is / is trying to cross. That then allows the cyclist to get ahead of the traffic, and prevents them from sitting in the blind spot of a bus / HGV and then being crushed when they turn left. That keeps them safer, without endangering anyone else. It's a system that works well in France, and has been advocated by senior politicians and police in Britain. Ideas from it have also been implemented in the form of advanced stop lines and the new traffic lights that are being put in near me that give cyclists a head start, so it's not as wacky as it sounds.
The reasoning behind it is that cyclists can cause much more damage to a pedestrian than a pedestrian to a cyclist. Cyclists are road users at the end of the day, why is a registration system any more silly than a registration system on cars?

This is why - there are myriad reasons why the vast majority of countries that have adopted bike licencing have dropped them later on http://ipayroadtax.com/licensed-to-cycle/licensed-to-cycle/

You'd be surprised how much damage a pedestrian can do to a cyclist - pedestrians will typically only be knocked to the ground if they are hit by a bike, but the cyclist can go flying.

They can but like I said the incidence of cyclists causing harm to pedestrians is so rare that it negates the need for a registration plate system. The country's finances are already in much need of improvement and adding to the cost base of the UK with a scheme that will probably detect about 100 incidents like this a year, if that, will seriously be a waste of money. Also consider that when these rare occurrences do happen, most cyclists won't do what happened to the OP and cycle off without stopping to help.

I can't believe that you have to compare cyclists and cars. Cars cause a load more deaths, people would speed to crazy levels if there were no reg plates on cars and thefts of cars would soar exponentially. Fuel theft would rise by a substantial amount and basically there would be chaos. With the current paradigm relating to cyclists everywhere, things aren't that bad. Sure you get a few fools on a bike but there's only so much damage a cyclist can cause; comparing them to cars just because they use the road is akin to me comparing vitamin packed vegetables to toxic acid just because both can physically travel down the bodies of human beings.
Original post by Origami Bullets
This is why - there are myriad reasons why the vast majority of countries that have adopted bike licencing have dropped them later on http://ipayroadtax.com/licensed-to-cycle/licensed-to-cycle/

You'd be surprised how much damage a pedestrian can do to a cyclist - pedestrians will typically only be knocked to the ground if they are hit by a bike, but the cyclist can go flying.

When a pedestrian and cyclist collide, how often is the pedestrian at fault? I am honestly interested if there are any statistics on the issue. As I would believe that it is more often the cyclists fault (given that pedestrians generally are on the pavement, which if a cyclist is using they should take extra care). However, I wouldn't mind being proved wrong :tongue:

(The rest of the post is towards you as well, just this is in reply to you)
Original post by theonefrombrum
They can but like I said the incidence of cyclists causing harm to pedestrians is so rare that it negates the need for a registration plate system. The country's finances are already in much need of improvement and adding to the cost base of the UK with a scheme that will probably detect about 100 incidents like this a year, if that, will seriously be a waste of money. Also consider that when these rare occurrences do happen, most cyclists won't do what happened to the OP and cycle off without stopping to help.

I can't believe that you have to compare cyclists and cars. Cars cause a load more deaths, people would speed to crazy levels if there were no reg plates on cars and thefts of cars would soar exponentially. Fuel theft would rise by a substantial amount and basically there would be chaos. With the current paradigm relating to cyclists everywhere, things aren't that bad. Sure you get a few fools on a bike but there's only so much damage a cyclist can cause; comparing them to cars just because they use the road is akin to me comparing vitamin packed vegetables to toxic acid just because both can physically travel down the bodies of human beings.

I would like to note I am not one of those who think that cyclists should be taxed or similar. I read through the whole article, and I saw very little reason against bicycle registration (not cyclist licensing - just a system similar to cars where a bike is registered when bought new (and a fee paid*), and then transferring ownership is free - similar to cars. The only quote I saw was from the Department of Transport, saying laws would need to be passed (which is done fairly often), and big IT changes (see below for my view on that).

*This fee could be paid by say a 10% cut in VAT on bike sales, with say 5% going towards the registration scheme, 5% encouraging people to cycle. I don't know enough about government finances to say if these is feasible, but based on car licensing I say it could be at least. This excludes big changes to IT systems - but this is with general CS grad snobbery - if the DVLA system couldn't be changed to allow a new class of 'vehicle' (in terms of the existing system), then the government made an error when purchasing or contracting the system!

theonefrombrum: Would it be that much extra cost though? Bicycle registration (as opposed to cyclist registration) could be paid for by schemes such as above (where a net price cut could encourage more bicycles to be bought, raising more money to cover the cut). I don't have any statistics myself, but do you have any proof that most cyclists, after hitting someone, would stop? I wasn't able to find a UK article with year-on-year stats of injuries (including non-serious accidents), but 550 (55% of 1000) pedestrians are injured in New York City each year. (Source).

Cars do cause more deaths, and cause more injuries - but vehicle registration started in or before 1963. Did vehicles, back then, cause that many more injuries that cyclists do now?
When a pedestrian and cyclist collide, how often is the pedestrian at fault? I am honestly interested if there are any statistics on the issue. As I would believe that it is more often the cyclists fault (given that pedestrians generally are on the pavement, which if a cyclist is using they should take extra care). However, I wouldn't mind being proved wrong :tongue:

(The rest of the post is towards you as well, just this is in reply to you)
I've never seen any statistics, but the one and only collision (and a couple more near conditions) I have had with pedestrians was entirely the pedestrian's fault, and in each instance it involved them stepping out in front of me without looking. One (the one I hit, though neither of us fell over) was on a segregated foot / cycle path. Unfortunately many pedestrians simply don't stick to their side of the bargain when it comes to the use of segregated paths, and wander all over the cyclist section. They then get narked when cyclists are forced to use the pedestrian side because of peds on the cyclist side. As a result, it is my opinion that shared / segregated paths are simply not safe in areas with high levels of foot traffic, and so I often opt to cycle on the road instead.

I would like to note I am not one of those who think that cyclists should be taxed or similar. I read through the whole article, and I saw very little reason against bicycle registration (not cyclist licensing - just a system similar to cars where a bike is registered when bought new (and a fee paid*), and then transferring ownership is free - similar to cars. The only quote I saw was from the Department of Transport, saying laws would need to be passed (which is done fairly often), and big IT changes (see below for my view on that).

*This fee could be paid by say a 10% cut in VAT on bike sales, with say 5% going towards the registration scheme, 5% encouraging people to cycle. I don't know enough about government finances to say if these is feasible, but based on car licensing I say it could be at least. This excludes big changes to IT systems - but this is with general CS grad snobbery - if the DVLA system couldn't be changed to allow a new class of 'vehicle' (in terms of the existing system), then the government made an error when purchasing or contracting the system!
Whilst I agree with you that the systems should be able to cope, in reality I think we both know that large central government computer databases tend to be crap (ContactPoint, NHS medical records etc.)

Whilst it might be theoretically possible, I would object on two grounds - that it does no good (this is the shorter, rather better article that I was originally looking for) based on the experience on other governments and London's Boris Bikes, and that (b) this country has much better things to be spending its money on at the moment.

theonefrombrum: Would it be that much extra cost though? Bicycle registration (as opposed to cyclist registration) could be paid for by schemes such as above (where a net price cut could encourage more bicycles to be bought, raising more money to cover the cut). I don't have any statistics myself, but do you have any proof that most cyclists, after hitting someone, would stop? I wasn't able to find a UK article with year-on-year stats of injuries (including non-serious accidents), but 550 (55% of 1000) pedestrians are injured in New York City each year. (Source).
In context, that's 1000 pedestrians injured each year in NY state, 55% of which are in NYC. I don't really feel qualified to comment, especially as you can't see most of the article, but I would question what counts an injury. A bruise is hardly likely to be life changing, but in the strictest sense it is an injury.

Cars do cause more deaths, and cause more injuries - but vehicle registration started in or before 1963. Did vehicles, back then, cause that many more injuries that cyclists do now?
Even if you could find those figures, I very much doubt that they would be directly comparable, given that the relative numbers of cars and bikes (and miles travelled per year by each) won't be directly comparable. A better set of statistics to look at would be road deaths involving cars just before and just after registration was introduced.

Reply 18
He should have apologised what he did since bicycle is a type of vehicle and red light means all vehicles must stop. I've noticed that some cyclists ignore the fact that they have to stop at red as well.. Few times I was close to be hit by a bicycle because they ignore the red light and just carry on their way.. Or instead of using bicycle paths or roads, use pavements that are only for pedestrians.. Once a guy with a bike almost ran into my butt :unimpressed:
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I hope you're feeling better now. I cycle 15mins to lectures every day, and as bicycles are vehicles we need to be obeying road laws the same as cars do. I get really annoyed when I pull up at a red light and another cyclist whizzes past me, often without checking for people crossing. They're endangering themselves too, as traffic could be about to arrive from another direction at a crossroads.

I appreciate that sometimes it's safer/necessary for their route (e.g. a canal towpath) for a cyclist to mount the curb or cut a corner, but we should always ALWAYS be considerate of pedestrians. If you're coming up behind a pedestrian, slow down to their pace and use your bell before you reach them. If you're close enough you can even say "Excuse me" and "Thank you" if they are able to allow you to pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending