This discussion is closed.
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Heya everyone - just wanted to know what you all want to do after you're finished studying. Have you all got very fixed goals, or are you as clueless as I am?
What do people actually do, once they have a degree in English lit. for example? (which is what I have applied to do)...
I just figured it was best to apply for subjects I enjoyed, rather than what I thought would get me into a particular job...but now I can't imagine what I'll be doing afterwards. I can't seem to think of anything other than teaching or maybe publishing. Anyway ideas?
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm pretty clueless too but I can sort of afford to be a bit clueless.

I wouldn't mind going into working with land or whatever but I know what my heart is really in... teaching, but I want to be more than that. Or have more status and money.

According to Rhe Independent:
Graduates go into the media, publishing, law, public relations and arts administration. A few continue to go into teaching. Others will head for the City or accountancy.
So it just seems like you can have fun studying for three years without shutting lots of doors
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought I wanted to do research in astrophysics, but I'm not liking Physics that much and finding it hard, so I think I may have to change course. Electronic and Electrical Engineering looks more fun to me, though apparently job prospects are bad .
Ladyluck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
I thought I wanted to do research in astrophysics, but I'm not liking Physics that much and finding it hard, so I think I may have to change course. Electronic and Electrical Engineering looks more fun to me, though apparently job prospects are bad .
I have no idea really, ive applied for law but have no real firm plans. Most of my friends do which is annoying!
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shilling)
Heya everyone - just wanted to know what you all want to do after you're finished studying. Have you all got very fixed goals, or are you as clueless as I am?
What do people actually do, once they have a degree in English lit. for example? (which is what I have applied to do)...
I just figured it was best to apply for subjects I enjoyed, rather than what I thought would get me into a particular job...but now I can't imagine what I'll be doing afterwards. I can't seem to think of anything other than teaching or maybe publishing. Anyway ideas?
The first thing i'm going to do after my degree is travelling since i didn't opt for a Gap Year after I think i'd like to go into teaching but only for a while since i'm a v. ambitious person. An English degree leaves me quite a lot of options.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would avoid Electronics now as in the UK the industry dying. Most electronics in the UK now is software engineering, everything is made and even designed in the far east these days.

This is one of the reasons I didn't go into electronics despite being highly interested in the subject.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think I'd like to go into publishing but am going to wait and see what I can find after I graduate (english) and might like to get some work experience teaching to see what that is like. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ is good if you want to have a look..
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
I think I'd like to go into publishing but am going to wait and see what I can find after I graduate (english) and might like to get some work experience teaching to see what that is like. http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ is good if you want to have a look..
Lol and to think of all them Greenwhich/TVU students out there who will be the head of Sunday Times text year

I am sure you have 1000% more chance than them.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I would avoid Electronics now as in the UK the industry dying. Most electronics in the UK now is software engineering, everything is made and even designed in the far east these days.

This is one of the reasons I didn't go into electronics despite being highly interested in the subject.
. EEE looks like the only course I'd enjoy and could be good at though. I don't want to do Comp Sci, cos there's too much discrete Maths in it and I hate that. Ok, there's some in EEE, but there's a lot more pure Maths, which I can do. Physics has a lot of stuff I don't like/can't do (I didn't think it would be this bad though). Also, EEE has bits of Physics that I do like and of course programming (Assembly and C).
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i've wanted to be a clinical psychologist since i was 15 so after my degree i need a masters, 3 years work experience as an assistant psychologist and then a doctorate... hopefully i'll be qualified before i'm 30
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
. EEE looks like the only course I'd enjoy and could be good at though. I don't want to do Comp Sci, cos there's too much discrete Maths in it and I hate that. Ok, there's some in EEE, but there's a lot more pure Maths, which I can do. Physics has a lot of stuff I don't like/can't do (I didn't think it would be this bad though). Also, EEE has bits of Physics that I do like and of course programming (Assembly and C).
Yeah somthing like that would be good, somthing where you can use programming to interface with the electronics. Have you used PIC before?
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Yeah somthing like that would be good, somthing where you can use programming to interface with the electronics. Have you used PIC before?
I haven't, sorry .
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
After i've done my degree in chemistry at durham i want to do a Phd sumwhere good, probably durham, unless i see a really high paid job which i like, in which case i'll do that.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (92)
27.22%
No (246)
72.78%

Watched Threads