The Student Room Group

starting uni again after the 9K introduction

So my last degree that I started I was paying 3K for, but I ended up quitting, now I'm starting another course at a different uni, am I stilll entitled to pay the 3K because I started uni before the 9K introduction?

Scroll to see replies

No, since you're starting over you'll have to pay £9000 :sadnod:
Reply 2
Original post by Potally_Tissed
No, since you're starting over you'll have to pay £9000 :sadnod:

erghhh sad times :/
Reply 3
Original post by distressed
erghhh sad times :/

Important to note that you don't 'pay' as such.
Reply 4
I'm in the same position...got a time machine?
Reply 5
Original post by meenu89

explain..
Reply 6
Original post by nomm
I'm in the same position...got a time machine?

ikr?!:mad:
Reply 7
explain..

I can do no better than this guide here. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview
doesn't matter man, you'll probably get it wiped off long before you ever pay it off anyway.
Reply 9
Tutition fees are covered by a loan, up to the £9000 maximum per year. You only start repaying the loan once you start earning above the repayment threshold, once you've graduated. So you do repay, but not in the same way as you would a commercial-type loan. If you remain below the earnings repayment threshold, you may never have to make repayments.

However, the number of years of Student Funding you get (including the Tuition Fee Loan) might be affected if you've studied for more than one year on the previous course.
Reply 10
Original post by meenu89
I can do no better than this guide here. https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

Cheers, so 9% of whatever you earn that's more than 21K
Reply 11
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
doesn't matter man, you'll probably get it wiped off long before you ever pay it off anyway.

Looks like my main goal in life would be paying off my student loan, what a sorry life, if you can even call it that :/
So my last degree that I started I was paying 3K for, but I ended up quitting, now I'm starting another course at a different uni, am I stilll entitled to pay the 3K because I started uni before the 9K introduction?

How long did you study for and why did you quit?

Student Finance England allow one gift year, but if you have used more than this, your support will be blocked for the extra years you have used unless there is a compelling personal reason (e.g. medical reason) for leaving study the first time.

For example, if you studied for 2 years previously, without any compelling personal reasons, the tuition fee loan for the first year of any new course would be blocked.
Reply 13
Original post by applicationa
How long did you study for and why did you quit?

Student Finance England allow one gift year, but if you have used more than this, your support will be blocked for the extra years you have used unless there is a compelling personal reason (e.g. medical reason) for leaving study the first time.

For example, if you studied for 2 years previously, without any compelling personal reasons, the tuition fee loan for the first year of any new course would be blocked.

Rly? I didnt know that, I had medical reasons. I quit in my second year.
Rly? I didnt know that, I had medical reasons. I quit in my second year.

You will need to send the medical evidence after submitting your application to Student Finance England. You can be awarded a compelling personal reasons exception for the second year, and the first year will have to count as your gift year because you are going to do a different course rather than continuing with the same course.
Reply 15
You will need to send the medical evidence after submitting your application to Student Finance England. You can be awarded a compelling personal reasons exception for the second year, and the first year will have to count as your gift year because you are going to do a different course rather than continuing with the same course.

What sort of medical evidence do they require? Is a letter from my GP enough? Does this mean I get funding for all 3/4years of my new degree?
What sort of medical evidence do they require? Is a letter from my GP enough? Does this mean I get funding for all 3/4years of my new degree?

A letter from your GP should be enough, so long as the original withdrawal was recorded as medical by your previous university when they sent the file to the Student Loans Company. If it wasn't then they may ask your previous university to send another withdrawal file when they look at the evidence.

Make sure the letter from the GP states that in their medical opinion you could not have continued with the course.

You will get funding for all years of your new degree but you won't be able to use the gift year to fund a repeat if you fail a year.
Reply 17
A letter from your GP should be enough, so long as the original withdrawal was recorded as medical by your previous university when they sent the file to the Student Loans Company. If it wasn't then they may ask your previous university to send another withdrawal file when they look at the evidence.

Make sure the letter from the GP states that in their medical opinion you could not have continued with the course.

You will get funding for all years of your new degree but you won't be able to use the gift year to fund a repeat if you fail a year.

Cool, cheers mate.
Do you work for SF btw?
Original post by meenu89

Depends how much student finance was used last time round.

They wont fund more than the original degree length + 1 year.

The OP may well be required to stump up for tuition ahead of time.
Reply 19
Original post by SebMurphy
Depends how much student finance was used last time round.

They wont fund more than the original degree length + 1 year.

The OP may well be required to stump up for tuition ahead of time.

Cool that's what I read too, so was a bit worried when applicationa mentioned about special circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest