How big of a distance would you class a 'long distance relationship'?

Watch
dooobie_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
2 hours
Lucia.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There isn't one answer to this question. For some people, 30 miles is too much. For others, they can happily date someone who lives a plane ride away. For me, my issue is less about what happens in the middle of a relationship but in how you get started. Obviously it's each to their own but I couldn't personally start a relationship with someone who lived a long way away. I like the early budding romance when you get to see and spend a lot of time with them in person.
Electric_Dynamo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Me and my ex were 40 miles apart but still managed to get through 5 happy years together. Just fizzled out at the end unfortunately.

I would say 40/50 miles is about my barrier though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lmaolmao
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Me and my girlfriend do 100 miles there, 100 miles back every weekend either she comes here or I go to her halls at uni.

First year of uni has finished now and it's been perfect. Long distance relationships are great imo if you're willing to put in the time and effort.
canadamoose
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Any distance that you wouldn't want to travel every weekend - I don't think 3 hours is that big of a deal, so I wouldn't even class that as far away. For me, I think 5+ hours is long distance, and even that is doable every two weeks or so. For me, it's not so much how far you live from each other, but how often you get to spend time together. If you get to see each other every weekend or every two weeks, I don't think of it as long distance.

I'm currently an 8 hour plane ride (+trains and cars) from my boyfriend, which is 100% long distance. We haven't seen each other in 3 months and won't see each other for another month. Earlier on in our relationship, we were a 2 1/2 hour train from one another and it's wasn't a big deal at all!
RwLovett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My gf is moving back to Hong Kong at the end of this month, meaning she'll be 5000miles away. I think that will be long distance. I will let you know how we handle it (I will hopefully be visiting over Christmas)
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
anyone who is most of the time about an hour and over away by the fastest and most convenient form of travel.

I done my time in LDR's, so I don't do them any more. If I'm with someone and things are serious and long term, I may consider a month or two of distance if it's necessary, depending on a case by case basis, if it's not worth it in my mind I just end things amicably and wish them the best of luck, and go do my own thing.
Andaxay
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pretty sure mine was long distance at 4000 miles! I suppose any distance in which you're only seeing each other once a month or less is long. Some people who see each other only at weekends would consider themselves as long distance, personally I could probably do every weekend after doing three times a year for three years, but hey.
Tap_app_pa_pa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
7,000 miles, it's 24 hour plane ride from Heathrow to Manila then 12 minutes from Manila to Davao
Abigailbeasley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My boyfriend lives 30 miles or so away from me and to me that is to far. I consider not being in the same town a long distancs but everyone has different standereds or opinions so honestly anything could be a long distance depending on the person
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it's not so much the distance, it's the travel time it takes to get there imo which constitutes something as long distance. so people shouldn't be saying X miles but stating how long it takes you to get there

eg: To the person above, 30 miles could be done in like 1 hour if someone has a car. If they are going by public transport the time taken to reach them would likely double. If this was a couple of thousand years ago it would probably take many hours on horseback or a full days walking to reach them.

personally i'd say at 2 hrs+ it's breaching the long distance category.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
More than 20 minutes drive is too far for me, she'd have to be serious marriage material for me to consider more than that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (10)
6.49%
Uncertainty around my education (15)
9.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (18)
11.69%
Lack of purpose or motivation (23)
14.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (10)
6.49%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (6)
3.9%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (11)
7.14%
Financial worries (9)
5.84%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (3)
1.95%
Exposure to negative news/social media (12)
7.79%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
3.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (19)
12.34%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (13)
8.44%

Watched Threads