The Student Room Group

Let G be a group of order 24 that is not isomorphic to S4. Then one of it

Let G be a group of order 24 that is not isomorphic to S4S_4. Then one of its Sylow subgroups is normal.

This is the proof from my textbook (http://www.albany.edu/~mark/algebra.pdf).

Proof

Suppose that the 3-Sylow subgroups are not normal. The number of 3-Sylow
subgroups is 1 mod 3 and divides 8. Thus, if there is more than one 3-Sylow subgroup,
there must be four of them.

Let X be the set of 3-Sylow subgroups of G. Then G acts on X by conjugation, so we
get a homomorphism f:GS(X)S4f : G \rightarrow S(X) \cong S_4. As we’ve seen in the discussion on G-sets, the kernel of f is the intersection of the isotropy subgroups of the elements of X. Moreover, since the action is that given by conjugation, the isotropy subgroup of HXH \in X is NG(H)N_G(H) (the normalizer of H in G). Thus,

kerf=HXNG(H).ker f = \cap_{H \in X} N_G(H).

For HXH \in X, the index of NG(H)N_G(H) is 4, the number of conjugates of H. Thus, the order of NG(H)N_G(H) is 6. Suppose that K is a different element of X. We claim that the order of NG(H)NG(K)N_G(H) \cap N_G(K) divides 2.

To see this, note that the order of NG(H)NG(K)N_G(H) \cap N_G(K) cannot be divisible by 3. This is because any p-group contained in the normalizer of a p-Sylow subgroup must be contained in the p-Sylow subgroup itself (Corollary 5.3.5). Since the 3-Sylow subgroups have prime order here, they cannot intersect unless they are equal. But if the order of NG(H)NG(K)N_G(H) \cap N_G(K) divides 6 and is not divisible by 3, it must divide 2.

In consequence, we see that the order of the kernel of f divides 2. If the kernel has
order 1, then f is an isomorphism, since G and S4S_4 have the same number of elements.

Thus, we shall assume that ker f has order 2. In this case, the image of f has order
12. But by Problem 2 of Exercises 4.2.18, A4A_4 is the only subgroup of S4S_4 of order 12, so we must have im f = A4A_4.

By Problem 1 of Exercises 4.2.18, the 2-Sylow subgroup, P2P_2, of A4A_4 is normal. But since ker f has order 2, f1P2f^{−1}P_2 has order 8, and must be a 2-Sylow subgroup of G. As the pre-image of a normal subgroup, it must be normal, and we’re done.

My Question

I'm just confused about the last part. I kind of got lost when it was explaining how/why
Unparseable latex formula:

f^{-1}P_2$

has order 8. I'm not really sure how that's related to the kernel of f.

Thank you in advance
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!

Quick Reply

Latest