The Student Room Group

DSA for mobile phone bills

I am entitled to claim back internet access costs up to a ceiling of £15 per month, 10 months a year.

Has anyone tried to claim back mobile phone bill costs through this method? I use my mobile's internet frequently for course-related stuff, like checking Blackboard, emails, etc. and I tether my laptop when I'm out and about.
Original post by sfmclaughlin
I am entitled to claim back internet access costs up to a ceiling of £15 per month, 10 months a year.

Has anyone tried to claim back mobile phone bill costs through this method? I use my mobile's internet frequently for course-related stuff, like checking Blackboard, emails, etc. and I tether my laptop when I'm out and about.

I don't think this would be possible.

I think the rationale behind this would be that you're given an internet allowance, presumably, because you cannot always get in to university to go to the library (or wherever in university to do work) and such as a result of your disability.

If you are 'out and about' checking your blackboard and whatever on the go, it means that you CAN go out etc, so you don't even need the internet allowance at home. If you aren't doing this 'on the go' then you can connect to your homes WiFi, or use your Laptop.

I am guessing that is how DSA people would view it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I use my mobile's internet frequently for course-related stuff, like checking Blackboard, emails, etc. and I tether my laptop when I'm out and about.

You perhaps do, but do you do this as a result of your disability or health condition? DSA is for additional costs incurred as a result of a disability or health condition after all.

I believe the rationale behind providing an Internet allowance is to ensure that students still have a condition, so access to Blackboard, journals and email, when they are at home. Particularly when they are too unwell to leave the house. As a result I doubt you will be able to claim for mobile internet usage. You'd need to discuss this with your funding body.
Reply 3
But many non-disabled students will use their mobile phone when out to check their course related stuff.
Reply 4

No this isn't possible. Internet access is normally broadband based service you would have in your room.

Quick Reply

Latest