The Student Room Group

How do you structure questions 5&6 on the English language exam?

I don't suppose anyone could help me by listing how to structure questions 5 & 6 on the English Language exam? Thank You!
I assume you mean the writing questions. There is no one structure, it completely depends on the question and even then there are infinite ways you could approach the question. The structure has to be clear and logical, and has to make sense.
Reply 2
Yes part B, correct me if i'm wrong but it's a good idea to use AFOREST and so on in part B, right?
Original post by HarryDeebank
Yes part B, correct me if i'm wrong but it's a good idea to use AFOREST and so on in part B, right?

I have absolutely no idea what AFOREST means.
Reply 4
Oh sorry,
A= Alliteration/Anecdote
F= Facts
O=Opinion
R=Rhetorical Question
E=Explanation/Experts
S= Statistics
T= Triplets
Original post by HarryDeebank
Oh sorry,
A= Alliteration/Anecdote
F= Facts
O=Opinion
R=Rhetorical Question
E=Explanation/Experts
S= Statistics
T= Triplets

Sure, but that should be natural to you rather than something you're actively thinking about. Also, that list is potentially risky because you definitely shouldn't look through your article, realise "Oh no I've forgotten a triplet" and stick one in where it's not appropriate. If you're writing an article you definitely need facts, opinions, explanations and statistics but the others are useful but optional. And please, only use them when they're appropriate rather than for the sake of using them; there's nothing more painful than reading a piece that overuses rhetorical questions. One is fine, two possible, any more is bad.

That AFOREST acronym is useful but it's not a formula for success. If you include all of them, you are not confirmed an A*. Above everything, you need to make sure your argument is solid, powerful and above all, makes sense.
Reply 6
Thank you! I got a C last time so i'm hoping to bump it up a bit for an overall B!

Quick Reply

Latest