This discussion is closed.
Missy B
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
I've had a person shout at me at the age of five "Oi u PAKI!". I didn't really see anything wrong with being called pakistani, infact I'm Indian, but at the age of five I could only see the look on the girl's face to realise that she was trying to insult me.

I watched a short documentry just a few minutes ago. It featured sikh guy wearing a turban, walking the streets of Glasgow asking various people he met how they would describe where they were from. All the asians he asked declared they were British, in the sense of culture-wise, they declared they were British Asian. Then he asked two girls where they were from, one said she was Irish, and she would not really think of herself as British, the other one said she was from England, when he asked her what she would think of him and where he was from, she said that from his accent he would seem British, but the way he was dressed she would not call it British, he then pointed out his trainers to ask if it was these that was making him NOT look british, she laughed and said, NO its the thing on ur head!

A few minutes later a group of youths started shouting abusive names at him from across the road. He looked at the camera and said, "this why I never look forward to coming back home".

It is totally appalling and utter disrespectful how SOME of youths of behave towards what they seem to be abnormal. Racism lies in all corners and races of the world.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Missy B)
It is totally appalling and utter disrespectful how SOME of youths of behave towards what they seem to be abnormal. Racism lies in all corners and races of the world.
and is entirely natural in this context. its pointless trying to eradicate it.
DazzYaa13
Report 15 years ago
in school ( not the sixth form i'm at ) there was a lot of racism..
Missy B
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
and is entirely natural in this context. its pointless trying to eradicate it.

Ofcourse it's pointless to eradicate it. However, I think a lot of racism exist because people are uneducated. Uneducated in the sense that they don;t know about the different values of different cultures and different races, and so see this abnormal and feel the need critisise.

I also don't agree with it being NATURAL. I don't think it's just 'natural' to shout abuse across the street to someone, no matter how they look, dress or speak.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (268)
34.1%
No (518)
65.9%

Watched Threads