Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here take two languages at A Level? I'm currently deciding on whether to take both German and Russian along with psychology and biology next year. At the moment I study both as well as French at GCSE but I know they get so much harder next year, so I don't know if it's wise to take both. Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maisielouise)
    Does anyone here take two languages at A Level? I'm currently deciding on whether to take both German and Russian along with psychology and biology next year. At the moment I study both as well as French at GCSE but I know they get so much harder next year, so I don't know if it's wise to take both. Can anyone help?
    First off, welcome to TSR :tsr:
    Since no one's replied:
    I don't do any languages at A-Level, though a couple of my friends do 2. (one does 3 but he's a native speaker in one of them)
    All I can say is, if languages are your thing, and your good at them, I'd say go for it, unless you have a subject lined up to take its place that you're equally interested in.

ReputationRep:
    Languages are a BIG step up from GCSE especially in terms of grammar so if you're going to do two be prepared to work twice as hard as people just doing one. I know two people that both do French and Spanish at A level (although one is a native speaker of French), they both end up doing a lot of essays, especially because they do English Lit as their 3rd A level but they both enjoy doing two languages and to be honest I envy them slightly. Biology and psychology require you to learn a lot of content but for me I find that doing French along with biology and psychology gives me a nice balance since you do have to talk a little bit about biology in languages (the environment, medical technology, healthy living, cloning etc) but it's a completely different set of skills and although you do have to learn a lot of grammar and vocabulary it's nice that there isn't any "content" as such to be examined on.

I'd say, if you really enjoy both languages then do them and if it ends up you're swamped by work just remember you can drop an AS (whether it's a language or otherwise) to lessen to workload. My advice would be to revise your GCSE language grammar over the summer and make sure you know it really well. If you can do that, it's less stress to learn the more difficult tenses after.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.