The Student Room Group

Law with a language

Hi,
I've been struggling with the decision of law with a language or a language degree and then a GDL but I'm thinking of doing a straight law degree with a language involved.
I know KCL has a strong reputation for its language and law programmes but what other uni's do? I'm thinking UCL could have (considering its focus on languages)? Are there any others in London? Does LSE offer a language with law at any opportunity (from what I can see at LSE you only study for a law degree)?
Original post by Lidia11
Hi,
I've been struggling with the decision of law with a language or a language degree and then a GDL but I'm thinking of doing a straight law degree with a language involved.
I know KCL has a strong reputation for its language and law programmes but what other uni's do? I'm thinking UCL could have (considering its focus on languages)? Are there any others in London? Does LSE offer a language with law at any opportunity (from what I can see at LSE you only study for a law degree)?

This is something you will be able to find out fairly easily through the university websites. Have a look at each uni's Law page and it will show the different degree programmes they offer. Many nowadays offer a joint Law and languages option, some may require you to study the law of the country as well whilst others may just be a traditional joint honours.

If a uni you are particularly fond of don't offer a joint honours, have a look to see if they offer any flexible honours courses where you can choose more than one subject area to make up your degree. If the website isn't clear, send the admissions page an e-mail.

What language are you studying? If French or German, have you considered doing a Maitrise/Magister? I go to Exeter which offers these courses. You spend one year abroad (in France/Germany, respectively) in your final year which means you get a further qualification, qualifying you to practice in both England and Wales and the other country. Really great opportunity to stand out from the crowd if you do either of those languages so you may want to consider that.

It takes a lot of research but unfortunately we can't do it for you, have a thorough look at all the uni websites that you're interested in which offer your language. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lidia11
Hi,

First apologies for typos etc. I finished my finals earlier today and am somewhat drunk.
Anyway, the situation you're in there are essentially 3 main options.

1) Do a pure languages degree and then the GDL. This is fairly simple at the stage you're at now, start researching where offers the sort of lit/history/cultural focus you prefer and then worry about vac schemes/training contracts/GDL down the line.

2) Do a Maitrise degree. This involves having a qualifying degree in France and England and is available at KCL (with the Sorbonne), Leicester (Strasbourg), Exeter (Rennes) and Essex. This is a very tough course in which all years count and you'll probably spend 2 years abroad. If you can manage to do well on it it will look amazing but think carefully about if you can cope with the workload. Here (Leicester) at least the vast majority of maitrise students are totally bilingual.

3) Do Law with French. This is an option which has many versions and you need to look carefully into what you like. Do you want essentially an English law degree with a year abroad and a bit of prep for it like that offered by Oxford and Warwick? A degree which involves mainly Law, both French and English, with a bit of French language like that offered at Birmingham and Leicester? Or one which offers the opportunity to do quite a lot of French Lang such as Cardiff and, I think, Bristol? Each of these has advantages and disadvantages, I can't tell you which is best for you.

The following are 'traditional' unis which offer the Law with French course from what remember of when I applied 4 years ago, but check on UCAS to be sure.

Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Leicester, Exeter, Nottingham, Warwick, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, there will definitely be others as my memory isn't great.

Seen you also asked about French law schools. With French unis there isn't the fairly rigid hierarchy that exists here as most students stay at home to study, so the brightest are still evenly distributed around rather than concentrated in a few elite unis. The top ones in Paris, II and III, are probably the best but places like Bordeaux, Montpellier, Poitiers, Strasbourg etc. also have strong faculties,
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by roh
First apologies for typos etc. I finished my finals earlier today and am somewhat drunk.
Anyway, the situation you're in there are essentially 3 main options.

1) Do a pure languages degree and then the GDL. This is fairly simple at the stage you're at now, start researching where offers the sort of lit/history/cultural focus you prefer and then worry about vac schemes/training contracts/GDL down the line.

2) Do a Maitrise degree. This involves having a qualifying degree in France and England and is available at KCL (with the Sorbonne), Leicester (Strasbourg), Exeter (Rennes) and Essex. This is a very tough course in which all years count and you'll probably spend 2 years abroad. If you can manage to do well on it it will look amazing but think carefully about if you can cope with the workload. Here (Leicester) at least the vast majority of maitrise students are totally bilingual.

3) Do Law with French. This is an option which has many versions and you need to look carefully into what you like. Do you want essentially an English law degree with a year abroad and a bit of prep for it like that offered by Oxford and Warwick? A degree which involves mainly Law, both French and English, with a bit of French language like that offered at Birmingham and Leicester? Or one which offers the opportunity to do quite a lot of French Lang such as Cardiff and, I think, Bristol? Each of these has advantages and disadvantages, I can't tell you which is best for you.

The following are 'traditional' unis which offer the Law with French course from what remember of when I applied 4 years ago, but check on UCAS to be sure.

Oxford, UCL, KCL, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Leicester, Exeter, Nottingham, Warwick, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, there will definitely be others as my memory isn't great.

Seen you also asked about French law schools. With French unis there isn't the fairly rigid hierarchy that exists here as most students stay at home to study, so the brightest are still evenly distributed around rather than concentrated in a few elite unis. The top ones in Paris, II and III, are probably the best but places like Bordeaux, Montpellier, Poitiers, Strasbourg etc. also have strong faculties,

Thank you for all your suggestions, I think I'm going to look further into the Maitrise and French unis :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lidia11
Thank you for all your suggestions, I think I'm going to look further into the Maitrise and French unis :smile:

It's alright, I don't actually remember writing this...:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending