The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language question 4 help

I was wondering if anyone can mark my answer to question 4?

Both writers use adjective in their texts. In source 2, he uses adjectives to describe the death of the homeless man and it's impact and in source 3, Callahan uses adjective to describe the water. In source 2, he describes the death of Michael as a "really important community event." The "really" emphasizes how "important" the death of Michael was and how it was important to the "community". In contrast, Callahan uses and adjective to describe the sea as "tumultuous" and the river as "rampaging". These two adjectives show us the waters was not calm and was rough and unsettling. Source 2 uses the adjective "important" as it shows the reader what the community thought about the death of Michael and Callahan uses the adjectives "tumultuous" and "rampaging" to describe what the movement of the waters was like.

Both writers use repetition to describe in their text. In Source 2 he uses the repetition of Michael being homeless as it's emotive and creates sympathy for the reader. It shows how being homeless has dangerous consequences as you could die of "hypothermia". Similarly, Callahan uses repetition to describe the danger of the ship. He repeats the phrase "going down" which shows the danger he is in and also foreshadows what's going to happen. Source 2 repeats the idea of being homeless as he says "sleeping rough", "life on the streets" and "homeless"as it creates sympathy towards the reader. Callahan repeats the phrase "going down" as it shows the danger of his situation.

Both writers use verbs to describe movement in their pieces. Source 2 uses verbs to describe what the local people did to Michael's coffin and Callahan uses verbs to describe the movement of the boat. Source 2 tells us Michael's coffin was "carries by local people during his funeral. The verb "carried" shows us the local people care about him so much they "carried" his coffin instead of putting it in a car and how they did it themselves. Callahan uses the verb "dive" to describe how the boat was sinking. He also uses the adverb "sickening" to describe his disgust of how his boat was sinking. Source 2 uses verbs in a positive way whereas Callahan uses verbs in a negative way.

I say he cos i dont know who wrote it.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
anyone? :frown:
Reply 2
How many marks is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending