Watch
This discussion is closed.
lgs98jonee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi
I would be very grateful for some help on sum stuff for a laptop as I am looking to buy one.
Does anyone have any idea how much better an Athlon 3000+ processor is compared to an Athlon 2600+ (in terms of power and cost - how m,uch eztra would u pay?). Also how about Cnetrino technology 1.4 or 1.5??? All help needed...really grateful
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lgs98jonee)
Hi
I would be very grateful for some help on sum stuff for a laptop as I am looking to buy one.
Does anyone have any idea how much better an Athlon 3000+ processor is compared to an Athlon 2600+ (in terms of power and cost - how m,uch eztra would u pay?). Also how about Cnetrino technology 1.4 or 1.5??? All help needed...really grateful
2600+ and 3000+? Unless you're going to be doing some really heavy work you won't notice the difference. There will probably be quite a big price difference too.

Centrino 1.4 or 1.5... Don't know, sorry.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
From the type of processor you are looking at, I'm gussing that you are looking for a desktop replacement.
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
just looking for a laptop really...so is athlon 2600 nothing better than 3000 then? and wot about cemtrino 1.4/1.5 in comparison...would u really notice the differemce?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would go for the 2600 over the 3000, not just because of the price difference but because it would run a bit cooler. Make sure you get 512mb RAM minimum though otherwise you won't get most the benefit from even a 2600. Upgrading my RAM from 256 to 512mb has made much more of a difference that it did when I upgraded my 1Ghz Duron to an Athlon 2000+.
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I would go for the 2600 over the 3000, not just because of the price difference but because it would run a bit cooler. Make sure you get 512mb RAM minimum though otherwise you won't get most the benefit from even a 2600. Upgrading my RAM from 256 to 512mb has made much more of a difference that it did when I upgraded my 1Ghz Duron to an Athlon 2000+.
thnx....so would u also opt for the athlon 2600 over centrino 1.4/1.5???
512 MB ram i will have
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just looking for a laptop really...so is athlon 2600 nothing better than 3000 then? and wot about cemtrino 1.4/1.5 in comparison...would u really notice the differemce?
Well, obviously the AMD CPUs would be better than both of those. 1.5 and 1.4 Centrino though... there wouldn't be that much difference. If there's a huge price difference go for the cheaper one, the extra performance won't be worth it.
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi
Dude WTF is up with rep??
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
512 MB ram i will have
Yeah, and make sure you take out some isurance, lol.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
512 MB ram i will have
I know nothing about Intel apart from I find them expensive and less reliable than AMD's. The Centrino will not be as fast as even a 2ghz Althlon but it may run cooler, if you were looking at cheaper make laptops I may be inclined to go for an Intel simply as it will run cooler. Laptops that run hot cause many problems. However if it was made properly in the first place it would be able to deal with the heat generation by the AMD.
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I know nothing about Intel apart from I find them expensive and less reliable than AMD's. The Centrino will not be as fast as even a 2ghz Althlon but it may run cooler, if you were looking at cheaper make laptops I may be inclined to go for an Intel simply as it will run cooler. Laptops that run hot cause many problems. However if it was made properly in the first place it would be able to deal with the heat generation by the AMD.
i wanna buy from tiny.com...should their laptops be ok with the athlon...and y do i need to take out sum insurance???? have people had bad experiences with laptops?
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHANDY)
Dude WTF is up with rep??
wot do u mean?
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wanna buy from tiny.com...should their laptops be ok with the athlon...and y do i need to take out sum insurance???? have people had bad experiences with laptops?
Extended warranties? I know they're a waste of money with desktops, but laptops aren't as easily fixable, so I don't know.

I wouldn't take one.
aaarrrggh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well laptops are obviously easy to steal...
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaarrrggh)
well i am not at uni or nething and dont intend to take it very far nor to leave it unattended
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaarrrggh)
oh...nd btw...nice avatar
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Laptops are hader to fix than Desktops. I've changed hard drives and processors in laptops, its a bit fidelly but its not rocket science. If the extened warranty was for 5 years and cost less than £150 it may just be worth it.

For desktops extended warranties are not worth it all, hardware wise its very rare for somthing to go wrong and when it does its very easy and cheap to repair.
Sam2k
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi
Centrino is just a collection of technologies. What you should get is a pentium 4 2.0 or more. The pentium 4m's are really good according to most testing spots. The only reason you would want centrino is if you want extended batterylife and a wireless LAN card.
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
(Original post by moncal)
Centrino is just a collection of technologies. What you should get is a pentium 4 2.0 or more. The pentium 4m's are really good according to most testing spots. The only reason you would want centrino is if you want extended batterylife and a wireless LAN card.
so if i had a 802.11b Wi-Fi Wireless Adapter, would u suggest that it would be more advisable to have centrino as opposed to athlon?
lgs98jonee
Rep:
?
with tiny.com, do u think that if after 18 months say (and i had opted fror the free 'basic 12 months', thta they would not help me if sumthing went wrong?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (165)
15.39%
Uncertainty around my education (174)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (104)
9.7%
Isolating with family (73)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (40)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (93)
8.68%
Loneliness (107)
9.98%
Financial worries (49)
4.57%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (98)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (77)
7.18%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (92)
8.58%

Watched Threads