The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

North or South Towers? - Essex Uni

Hey guys!

I'll be applying for accommodation tomorrow for Essex Uni, and I'm really undecided about which towers to apply for! South or North?! I like the sound of both for different things so I'd really appreciate some help or more information!!!? :confused: All I know is that if I go for South towers, that I'll have about £10 a week more to spend on food and other essentials!

Ahhh, please help!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey,

I'll also be applying for accommodation in the Towers tomorrow - but I was just wondering what are the main differences between the North and the South?

I noticed that they're priced differently, but on the 360 tour on their website it only shows one example of a room in the Towers.

Any information you could give would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi :smile:

From reading through this website, I found a comment from someone in South Towers who said:

"South Towers:
16 people per flat
4 toilets
2 showers
1 minute walk from central campus
Larger kitchen

North Towers:
12 people per flat
4 toilets
2 showers
3/4 minute walk from central campus
Slightly smaller kitchen with only one entrance, and there's a lot more corridors."

Still unsure though what to do :frown:
What are you most likely going to apply for?
Reply 3
Thanks for the help!

Well I'm not sure - as this would explain why the North Towers is slightly more expensive (and I'm pretty poor...) - and even though I've read that it's never an issue for anyone living in the South Towers, I'm still really unsure about the whole '16 people/4 toilets/2 showers' thing...

Which one did you go for in the end?
Reply 4
I get the minimum amount of loan money which suuuuucks so I had to only apply to ones which I can afford - but my parents still have to help me with food and essentials! :frown:

The order I put them in was:
North Towers B
North Towers A
South Towers

My mum recently went to Essex for her Masters degree and since I never got the chance to see the accommodation in person, I went on what she said about North Towers looking cleaner and in a much better location :smile: Hopefully I've made the right choice and get in!

How about you? :smile:
Hello, I had the same questions and was able to find this information:
North Towers A (Rayleigh & Keynes)

You share with 13 in each flat with 4 showers and 4 loos

North Towers B (Tawney & William Morris)

You share with 14 people in each flat with 3 loos and 2 showers, and tawney the best tower on campus

South Towers

You share with 16 people with 4 loos and 2 showers

( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Essex_Accommodation )

Therefore, I came to the conclusion that North Tower A is actually better than B, since the money difference is small but the facilities are better.

I also want to ask you whether there is a possibility of accessing a loan for accomodation. I am Romanian, so do you know if the loan applies to EU nationals?

I hope this helps you in your decision :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah, I'm probably gonna go for the same - it's the logical choice...
Reply 7
Thanks for that information! Unfortunately I don't know about student finance for EU nationals! Check the website perhaps? Good luck though :smile: x
Reply 8
Ive applied for Tawney towers, anyone else staying there? :smile:
Reply 9
I had to go through clearing, and so will (hopefully) be able to re-apply for accommodation soon! Really worried all the places will go though! Aiming for the towers :smile:
Reply 10
Im sure you'll do fine, fingers crossed for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by ellieboo94
Im sure you'll do fine, fingers crossed for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending