what is the best thing that has.... Watch

This discussion is closed.
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
the best thing that ever happened to me..... tough one....

probably the most satisfying moment was when i was working at the samaritans a couple of months back and i received a bunch of flowers from a women that i spoke to on the phone. she said by talking to me she finally built up the courage to leave her boyfriend who was beating her up and seek some help for depression. it really moved me that just by listening to people's problems you can actually change someones life like that. she rang up again a couple of weeks later and said that she was doing a lot better and getting her life back on track.
Wow. I think this is the sort of thing the thread-starter was thinking of. I think would find it very hard not to descend to trivial banalities and clichés, in that kind of situation. I suppose you have to be very careful about what you say.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by oldthrashbarg)
Wow. I think this is the sort of thing the thread-starter was thinking of. I think would find it very hard not to descend to trivial banalities and clichés, in that kind of situation. I suppose you have to be very careful about what you say.
i think the most important thing to do is just listen to what people have to say and try not to judge. it's hard not to have preconcieved ideas about what the person on the end of the phone is like. tbh, most people who ring up know what they have to do, they just want you to tell them to do it. it's just getting people to pick up the phone in the first place and admit they have a problem which is the harderst thing.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise