Turn on thread page Beta

Cheese is from plants; fish fingers are made from chicken watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22730613

I would have thought that the name "fish fingers" would imply to most people that they contain at least some fish. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    I would have thought that the name "fish fingers" would imply to most people that they contain at least some fish. Thoughts?
    You, presumably, have never heard of Bombay duck then, which is fish. Or colonial goose, which is lamb. Or toad in the hole, which is sausage. Or Welsh rabbit, which is cheese.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    TBH I've never had a fish finger that tasted anything remotely like fish, so they could probably be made of chicken anyway. Cheese from plants though? I know they're asking under-10s, but you'd have thought they might've covered cows by that point. Unless the kids were just messing around and not answering properly? :beard:

(Original post by Good bloke)
    You, presumably, have never heard of Bombay duck then, which is fish. Or colonial goose, which is lamb. Or toad in the hole, which is sausage. Or Welsh rabbit, which is cheese.
    It's called Welsh rarebit, not rabbit. :p: Fair point otherwise though.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I haven't heard of three out of four of them However I still maintain that, if you hadn't told me otherwise, it would be a reasonable assumption to think that they were made from duck, goose, toad and rabbit respectively. Can you honestly say that, if you'd never heard of Bombay Duck but were asked to guess what it was, you'd be more likely to say "fish" than "duck"?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be surprised to be honest. If lasagne can be horse then it's not a big shock.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people thinking tomatoes grow under ground is really anything to be concerned about...obviously we all know it is a fruit, but some will think it is a vegetable due to how it is used in food and most vegetables do grow under ground.

A lot of people are thick as ****, they were just even thicker when children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    It's called Welsh rarebit, not rabbit. :p: Fair point otherwise though.
    It's always pronounced 'rarebit', although its traditionally spelt 'rabbit': the idea being that the Welsh are so poor, they can't even afford rabbit.

ReputationRep:
    What about Old Speckled Hen being a beer?

ReputationRep:
    Hardly surprising considering we would all yell you beef burgers contain cow, not horse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    I don't think people thinking tomatoes grow under ground is really anything to be concerned about...obviously we all know it is a fruit, but some will think it is a vegetable due to how it is used in food and most vegetables do grow under ground.

A lot of people are thick as ****, they were just even thicker when children.
    It is a vegetable, and a fruit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    It's called Welsh rarebit, not rabbit.
    It is called both, actually.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds of that whole "chicken of the sea" palaver that dopey bint Jessica Simpson did some years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Reminds of that whole "chicken of the sea" palaver that dopey bint Jessica Simpson did some years ago.
    Which reminds me that chicken of the woods is a fungus - an edible bracket mushroom found growing on trees. It is neither fish nor fowl.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more surprised that some people let their primary school children go without breakfast!

ReputationRep:
    It is a vegetable, and a fruit.
    It's possible for something to be both a vegetable and a fruit? :confused:

Or is it one of things where in a strict scientific sense it's a fruit, but in other contexts it's known as a vegetable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I'm more surprised that some people let their primary school children go without breakfast!
    In the context of this thread, the obvious dish for people who like to have children at breakfast is jelly babies, though perhaps it is a bit too much sugar too early in the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's possible for something to be both a vegetable and a fruit? :confused:

Or is it one of things where in a strict scientific sense it's a fruit, but in other contexts it's known as a vegetable.
    All fruits are vegetables, but not all vegetables are fruits. Fruiting bodies, on the other hand, are neither fruits nor vegetables.

ReputationRep:
    All fruits are vegetables, but not all vegetables are fruits. Fruiting bodies, on the other hand, are neither fruits nor vegetables.
    Interesting. I just looked it up on wikipedia. So according to the scientific definition, any plant is a vegetable?

So actually when people say a tomato is fruit not a vegetable, they're speaking out of their arse

ReputationRep:
    So according to the scientific definition, any plant is a vegetable?
    I believe so.

(Original post by Psyk)
    So actually when people say a tomato is fruit not a vegetable, they're speaking out of their arse
    Biologically and metaphorically speaking, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind the whole 'media only shows us what they want us to see' for cynical people, and you start the argument that maybe they'd asked hell of a lot of children the questions and just focused on the ones who answered this naively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.