Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 offers to read medicine: leeds, liverpool and glasgow.

i've decided that i dont want to go to scotland now so im having to choose between leeds and liverpool.
    liverpool is the better medschool in the league tables (in fact its joint 3rd after oxbridge)

however, im not really bothered about going to the better medschool because i know a med degree is a med degree wherever you do it.

so, the silly bit - being asian, (pakistani) i want to go somewhere where there are more asian people with whom id be able to mix with more. I don't have a problem with people of any origin, infact i prefer a more multicultural place as i like to meet people of all backgrounds. however i am worried that if i choose to go to liverpool where there are v v v few asians i will not mix with the majority of the people as being a muslim i dont go clubbing or drink etc..it's just not me. so id rather be somewhere where there are people i can mix with since i will be there for 5/6 yrs.

because of this reason, i am choosing leeds, am i being silly? and should i be thinking of the better uni instead? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    As far as i know, Liverpool has a relativly large Asian culture but this shouldn't matter, England is becoming more and more international and generally people would not judge you on your background. if i were you i'd choose the better University because you shouldnt let an issue like this get in the way of a medicine degree from liverpool.

Leeds does tend to have a good party reputation

Good Luck with your choice.
    x

ReputationRep:
    i think that whichever uni you choose there are going to be lots of people who you will get on with. also lots of non-muslims don't drink so i wouldn't worry about everyone going clubbing and you being left out. at both uni's i'm sure you'll make loads of friends and have a fantastic time, jut choose the uni on the basis of which you like the best. good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wata)

so, the silly bit - being asian, (pakistani) i want to go somewhere where there are more asian people with whom id be able to mix with more. I don't have a problem with people of any origin, infact i prefer a more multicultural place as i like to meet people of all backgrounds. however i am worried that if i choose to go to liverpool where there are v v v few asians i will not mix with the majority of the people as being a muslim i dont go clubbing or drink etc..it's just not me. so id rather be somewhere where there are people i can mix with since i will be there for 5/6 yrs.

because of this reason, i am choosing leeds, am i being silly? and should i be thinking of the better uni instead? :confused:
    LOL, a while ago various people were worried that the social life at U.C.L. is dominated by Asians and were citing this as a reason for not going. They were shouted down as being racist. Are the same people that were shouting them down now going to say that Wata is being racist against other cultures by wanting to go to somewhere were there are alot of Asians?

ReputationRep:
    To put it bluntly, there are millions of asians at Liverpool from what I gather. One of my best friends is a pakistani girl and is accepting her liverpool medicine offer. Go for Liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    No matter where you go if you are doing Medicine the chances are there will be a decent amount of Asians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    To put it bluntly, there are millions of asians at Liverpool from what I gather. One of my best friends is a pakistani girl and is accepting her liverpool medicine offer. Go for Liverpool.
    Liverpool is an amazing and totally multi-cultural city. If I didn't live so near then I'd definatly consider it myself - it's just that I want to move away. You'' definatly find a good mix of different cultures in Liverpool - it certainly isn't dominated by the white middle class like some other english cities.
    That said, If you'd feel more comfortable in Leeds and like the city more then I'd go there instead. But I'm sure you'd have a great time in Liverpool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wata)
    I have 3 offers to read medicine: leeds, liverpool and glasgow.

i've decided that i dont want to go to scotland now so im having to choose between leeds and liverpool.
    liverpool is the better medschool in the league tables (in fact its joint 3rd after oxbridge)

however, im not really bothered about going to the better medschool because i know a med degree is a med degree wherever you do it.

why don't u want to come to scotland?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.