The Student Room Group

Complex ion question

The answer to the question I attached in the picture is actually 6, but I put 3. I'm not really sure as how to get that answer. Is it because the ligand is bidentate, so has two lone pairs? If that's right, could you explain it a little more clearly please, just so I understand if it comes up again.
Thank you!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I put 3 because outside the bracket for the ligand it has a 3.... I don't means the square brackets where it's 3+.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DoeADeer
The answer to the question I attached in the picture is actually 6, but I put 3. I'm not really sure as how to get that answer. Is it because the ligand is bidentate, so has two lone pairs? If that's right, could you explain it a little more clearly please, just so I understand if it comes up again.
Thank you!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, ethanediamine is a bidentate ligand.

The lone pair on each nitrogen atom coordinates to the metal ion. That means that the metal ion has 6 points of attachment in an octahedral organisation.

Hence, the coordination number is 6, 2 per ligand.
Reply 3
Original post by charco
Yes, ethanediamine is a bidentate ligand.

The lone pair on each nitrogen atom coordinates to the metal ion. That means that the metal ion has 6 points of attachment in an octahedral organisation.

Hence, the coordination number is 6, 2 per ligand.

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest