can i use blue pen in the exams?? Watch

username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
i prefer blue pen for some reason but it says 'black pen' on the exam papers. would i be disadvantaged in any way by using a blue pen?
mir0rb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My teachers have told me it wouldn't be marked because it wouldn't be detected in the scanner once they scan our exam papers. I'm not sure how true that is, though.
pierreboobvier
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's something to do with when they send out copies of your exam, blue pen doesn't print as well as black pen does. Or at least that's what my teacher told me.
Danatlive
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love a good blue pen
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danatlive)
I love a good blue pen
hehe, staying with black just to be safe
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know how much truth there is about blue pen not being marked but since the Exam boards specify that you should use black, and as there's no advantage at all to using a blue pen, use black.
Natty_ox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It says on the paper use black so to be on the safe side I would say do just that. I don't think the ink will come up on your paper when they scan it through, just as others above have said.
ShutUpLegs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Over time the blue ink tends to fall of the paper.
TheGalwayGirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just stick with black pen, you don't want to annoy the examiners, don't give them any reason to mark you down. Don't forget pencil for graphs and diagrams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Exam papers are now marked on screen and are scanned. Blue ink does not show up properly. Don't risk some of your answer not being readable. The instructions are there for a reason.
justinawe
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
i prefer blue pen for some reason but it says 'black pen' on the exam papers. would i be disadvantaged in any way by using a blue pen?
If the instructions on the cover page of the exam booklet say black pen only, then it's black pen only.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure they'd still mark your paper in blue. There would be MASSIVE negative publicity if they refused to mark pages and pages of answers just because the ink colour wasn't as specified on the front of the paper. Do you honestly think an exam board is going to give a student zero for a paper because they wrote in blue ink? They definitely wouldn't do that.

Still, it might make life more difficult for examiners etc, so you might as well play it safe.
Oschene23
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hehe, staying with black just to be safe
dare you to use blue.
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would stick with black if I were you.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
I'm pretty sure they'd still mark your paper in blue. There would be MASSIVE negative publicity if they refused to mark pages and pages of answers just because the ink colour wasn't as specified on the front of the paper. Do you honestly think an exam board is going to give a student zero for a paper because they wrote in blue ink? They definitely wouldn't do that.

Still, it might make life more difficult for examiners etc, so you might as well play it safe.
It would be marked separately by a senior examiner.
Source: I've been an examiner.
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oschene23)
dare you to use blue.
nope, staying with black.
username1039383
Rep:
?
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
It would be marked separately by a senior examiner.
Source: I've been an examiner.
when do the papers get marked? july?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
when do the papers get marked? july?
The dates vary but yes, end of July.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure for A levels but I use pencils in all my uni exams. For some reason my handwriting for a pen is an absolute mess but much better with a pencil.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
There would be MASSIVE negative publicity if they refused to mark pages and pages of answers just because the ink colour wasn't as specified on the front of the paper.
Would there? I'm not so sure. There is just as likely to be an outcry against someone who can't follow examination instructions being given the same opportunity as the rest. Would an English or history paper be marked if the candidate wrote his essay in German?

Aiming not to mess around with or irritate the examination system is always a good policy when dealing with important exams; you never know what might go wrong with the board's plan B.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (411)
18.59%
The paper was reasonable (1048)
47.4%
Not feeling great about that exam... (493)
22.3%
It was TERRIBLE (259)
11.71%

Watched Threads