The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE Media Studies Unit 1

Hey guys!
So on Thursday (6th June) I'm sitting the WJEC GCSE Media Studies exam, unit 1 I believe, but I'm having a huge struggle with what I'm meant to be revising, learning etc.

We haven't had any practice as such at all for this exam, heck, if I were to sit it tomorrow I wouldn't be having a clue at all.

The past paper I was given is all about web based drama and shots within a resource we have to watch, which is pretty simple, but some other past papers are about celebrity fan pages and it confuses me because some of the questions say "use what you have studied" but we haven't studied anything at all to have knowledge for in the exam!

I'm really worried about this at the moment, I know it's short notice but any help would be great.
Reply 1
Original post by rawritskatiex0
Hey guys!
So on Thursday (6th June) I'm sitting the WJEC GCSE Media Studies exam, unit 1 I believe, but I'm having a huge struggle with what I'm meant to be revising, learning etc.

We haven't had any practice as such at all for this exam, heck, if I were to sit it tomorrow I wouldn't be having a clue at all.

The past paper I was given is all about web based drama and shots within a resource we have to watch, which is pretty simple, but some other past papers are about celebrity fan pages and it confuses me because some of the questions say "use what you have studied" but we haven't studied anything at all to have knowledge for in the exam!

I'm really worried about this at the moment, I know it's short notice but any help would be great.

Which unit are you doing? The web based drama and celebrity thing are different units
I'm also doing the paper on Thursday, it is tv dramas in section A and web based dramas in section B. Our teacher only provided us with a revision guide- which isn't that good. But hopefully I'll just watch some Tv dramas today and analyse them. I think learn the theories and try to identify features in a tv drama.
Reply 3
How did everyone find it?

I predicted the Downton Abbey extract, in a manner; that, Doctor Who, Waterloo Road and Call the Midwife were my guesses. But I thought the questions were straightforward and liked that it was a written Part B, rather than a drawing. I'd have preferred gender or class rather than age for the fourth (?) question, but you can't have everything!
Original post by tessellate
How did everyone find it?

I predicted the Downton Abbey extract, in a manner; that, Doctor Who, Waterloo Road and Call the Midwife were my guesses. But I thought the questions were straightforward and liked that it was a written Part B, rather than a drawing. I'd have preferred gender or class rather than age for the fourth (?) question, but you can't have everything!

The exam waa bullS wasn't similar to the december 1 in any shape or form, felt like deja vu for some questions just referring back to the same theories, apart from the that I did okay considering I revised 1 day prior to the exam
Original post by touch@insorg-mai
The exam waa bullS wasn't similar to the december 1 in any shape or form, felt like deja vu for some questions just referring back to the same theories, apart from the that I did okay considering I revised 1 day prior to the exam

what did you write for the question about the advantages of web dramas? i tried to write stuff like low production costs, broader audience, convergent media? i was so confused it was nothing like the other past papers we did. Also i wrote about merlin when it asked how age was represented i think i did it all wrong :frown:
Reply 6
I think the exam went really well, based on the fact that we haven't even had any Media lessons, we were just expected to do the exam. I was so glad it was Downton Abbey, I knew the extract off by heart. Also happy that i didn't have to waste ages drawing anything in section b. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending