The Student Room Group

HELP! MSc International Business- Which offer/uni should I choose?

Hello everyone,
I applied for Msc International Business and have already been accepted to a couple of universities.
My problem is that I am an international student and therefore have not too much knowledge concerning the different universities (reputation, quality of teaching, practice-oriented teaching, career support, employability and especially the atmosphere/quality of each city).
I looked up a lot of rankings (NY Times, Times Higher Education, Guardian etc.) & blogs, however I think sometimes it is better to hear personal experiences from students.

Following universities have already made an unconditional offer:

Uni Leeds B.S. : Msc International Business

Aston B.S. : Msc Strategy & International Business

Uni of Strathclyde B.S. : Msc International Management

Durham Uni B.S. : Msc Management (International Business)

I am still waiting for:

Manchester B.S.: Msc. International Business & Management

St. Andrews: International Business

Uni of Bath B.S.: International Management

Lancaster B.S.: International Business

Kings College: International Management

It would be super if you could comment on the universities and explain why I should choose one over the other (only name-dropping will not help).

Thank you already so much in advance!:smile:
Reply 1
Lol @ the above post. The universities you are still waiting to hear from are a bit better than the rest and in the same bracket for reputation. If you get in in any of them choose one of them and consider the location not just the university. London and Manchester are miles ahead in terms of experience when compared to the other three. London is also like twice as expensive as Lancaster. If I was in the same situation, I'd choose in the following way: Kings/Manchester > Bath > Lancaster/ St.Andrews more based on location rather than reputation, which as I said is not that different for all five.
Of the ones you are currently admitted Durham has perhaps the best overall reputation, but it's business school is not that good. Choose b/w Durham and Strathclyde.
Reply 2
Hi, Thank you for your reply. I just have to wait for some more answers from universities...
I also heard that Durham has a very good reputation concerning the overall reputation but their Msc-Programme is very general and in my opinion not made for people who have already got some business knowledge.
Manchester I am not so sure about...they were ranked quite low (always behind St. Andrews,Leeds, Aston, Bath, Strathclyde,...) especially in "student satisfaction".
Leeds was ranked by the NY Times first in Msc International Business and 4th in the world. The programme sounds really interesting but I am not 100% convinced as their general reputation for business ist not as good as e.g. Bath, St.Andrews, Strathclyde etc.
It is really confusing...
Reply 3
Anyone else?
Reply 4
Personally I would choose kings, Aston and then Manchester. London, Aston and Manchester have amazing nightlife and overall great student experience!
I am going to do an undergraduate degree in business management this September and I have put aston as my firm choice. I would have applied to kings and manchester but they didn't offer a placement year which is what I wanted! You have some great offers though!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Lala16
Hello everyone,
I applied for Msc International Business and have already been accepted to a couple of universities.
My problem is that I am an international student and therefore have not too much knowledge concerning the different universities (reputation, quality of teaching, practice-oriented teaching, career support, employability and especially the atmosphere/quality of each city).
I looked up a lot of rankings (NY Times, Times Higher Education, Guardian etc.) & blogs, however I think sometimes it is better to hear personal experiences from students.

I am still waiting for:

It would be super if you could comment on the universities and explain why I should choose one over the other (only name-dropping will not help).

Consider the University of Warwick and the University of Nottingham.

I am also looking to do a masters in business (marketing preferred.)
I completed the MSc in Management course at Manchester Business School last year.

I'd recommend Manchester as a great Business School and a fantastic city as well.

We had a great range of lecturers and the course was well constructed. There was a really good balance of essays, exams, presentations and group work. It's opne of the top rated business schools in the world for it's MBA course and the quality filters down to all their courses. Manchester University is massive so there are groups and societies to cater for everybody.

As a city there is great culture, sport, bars and restaurants. I love it.
As far i know in terms of academics - Bath> lancaster> leeds> Durham/asthon> Strathclycde.
In terms of exposure
Manchester/Kings> leeds> durham/lancaster.
you should not go to scotland in my opinion because firstly of cold weather there throughout the year and i have heard that it is going to be separated from uk in 2- 3 yrs time. So you would not be wanting that.

Even i have offers from leeds - msc in IB, reading- Msc in Entrepreneurship, sheffields- Msc in mgmt. & marketing, Strathclycde- MBM. Please give ur opinions.

Original post by Lala16
Hello everyone,

I am still waiting for:

I would choose Strathclyde!

I am going to Strathclyde and will be staying at the St Andrews Court student accommodation. It looks really good and I will have my own bathroom and kitchen!
Original post by matt_lacey12
I completed the MSc in Management course at Manchester Business School last year.

I'd recommend Manchester as a great Business School and a fantastic city as well.

We had a great range of lecturers and the course was well constructed. There was a really good balance of essays, exams, presentations and group work. It's opne of the top rated business schools in the world for it's MBA course and the quality filters down to all their courses. Manchester University is massive so there are groups and societies to cater for everybody.

As a city there is great culture, sport, bars and restaurants. I love it.

Hey there, I am going MMU next year and I have applied for International Business with Italian. I'll be studying in the business school.
I am not sure if this course is going to be worthy, I have other options too but I like business.
Because you've graduated from there, you reckon that is it a good Degree to go for?
thanks
Reply 10
specifically for a masters degree in international business Leeds would be the most reputable - its their specialty, its also the most competitive to get into. I think they had 1400 application for 50-100 places in 2012. I definitely wouldn't throw away that opportunity.

For anything else the other University's would be better presumably.

Quick Reply

Latest