The Student Room Group

Gcse english language

Hi, I didn't do very well on my English Language exam today.

I have already got the 60% of coursework at A*, but I really wanted an overall A*...

I sort of messed up the paper, I doubt I got less than a B but I knew I could have done better

What are my chances of an A* now?

Scroll to see replies

Relax........................... your chances for an A* are still likely, if you get an high A* in your CA's and a high B in your exam you should still come out with an A* overrall
or even if you get a mid B as the ratio of 60:40 is greater :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Captain Anonymous
or even if you get a mid B as the ratio of 60:40 is greater :wink:

okay I didnt think that was how ocr graded it though?
hope it is!
it isn't but it makes sense :P, they grade it using UMS points...
i did the language exam for OCR in january! :biggrin:, how was it in June?
Original post by 7izzy7
okay I didnt think that was how ocr graded it though?
hope it is!

If you got FULL UMS in the coursework (i.e. 100%, which is the highest mark possible for an A*) then you only need a mid to high B. However, if you got a low A*, you need a high A or A* in the exam to get an A* overall. If you got a mid A* in the coursework, you need an A in the exam to get an A* overall.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Chlorophile
If you got FULL UMS (i.e. 100%, which is the highest mark possible for an A*) then you only need a mid to high B. If you got a low A*, you need a high A or A* to get an A* overall. If you got a mid A*, you need an A to get an A* overall.

ah, thats helpful.

I got a band 1 in each piece of coursework but thats all I know for sure.

It wasn't horrendous I just ran out of time for Q3 and couldnt think of a very good story for Q5
an 'A' grade is very good as well though :s-smilie:!
Reply 9
Original post by Captain Anonymous
an 'A' grade is very good as well though :s-smilie:!

Yeah, I know I just I was predicted really good grades and now they all seem to be going badly!

This was supposed to be an easy A* for me but doesnt look possible now
Reply 10
A at the very least! Don't worry! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
does anyone know what I needed for sure though? :smile:
Reply 12
Oh and I've repped anyone who commented :smile: thanks
Reply 13
omg baby carrots ill be having nightmares. I have 93/120 in my CA. Id like a B overall
Reply 14
Original post by kip
omg baby carrots ill be having nightmares. I have 93/120 in my CA. Id like a B overall

what band is 93/120?
Reply 15
Don't know teacher told me it was a high B
she said I was 2 marks of an A
Reply 16
Original post by kip
Don't know teacher told me it was a high B
she said I was 2 marks of an A

oh, thats quite good then :smile:

How well do you think youve done on the paper?
Reply 17
Original post by Chlorophile
If you got FULL UMS in the coursework (i.e. 100%, which is the highest mark possible for an A*) then you only need a mid to high B. However, if you got a low A*, you need a high A or A* in the exam to get an A* overall. If you got a mid A* in the coursework, you need an A in the exam to get an A* overall.

Are you sure about this? I would have thought he would get an A overall if he got an A in the exam. It's just I'm not sure you're right talking from personal experience. But, I might be wrong...
Reply 18
Original post by Quantaˌ
Are you sure about this? I would have thought he would get an A overall if he got an A in the exam. It's just I'm not sure you're right talking from personal experience. But, I might be wrong...

Oh.. :confused:

and I am sorry I will positive rate you tomorrow ive run out!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 7izzy7
ah, thats helpful.

I got a band 1 in each piece of coursework but thats all I know for sure.

It wasn't horrendous I just ran out of time for Q3 and couldnt think of a very good story for Q5

You mean band 6? Band 1 is the lowest one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending