The Student Room Group

Particle Collisions - M1

I don't even know where to start, can't find the information about this in my textbook. Any help would be great <3
Reply 1
We know that in a collision that momentum must be conserved. From the information given we can calculate the momentum before the collision and the momentum of P after the collision and thence the momentum and speed of Q after the collision. Once we know the speed of Q we can find how quickly they are separating so how far apart they will be after three seconds.
Reply 2
Original post by tiddlytom
We know that in a collision that momentum must be conserved. From the information given we can calculate the momentum before the collision and the momentum of P after the collision and thence the momentum and speed of Q after the collision. Once we know the speed of Q we can find how quickly they are separating so how far apart they will be after three seconds.

From the information given we can calculate the momentum before the collision

How does one go about doing that?
Reply 3
The momentum is the sum of the products of mass with velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity so direction matters; however in this case everything is moving in the same direction.
Reply 4
The momentum is the sum of the products of mass with velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity so direction matters; however in this case everything is moving in the same direction.

So in this case, the momentum of particle P is 0.3*1.1 ?

Momentum of P before collision: 0.3*2.2
Momentum of P after collision: 0.3*1.1
Momentum of Q before collision: 0.5*0.8
Momentum of Q after collision: 0.5*Answer

How do I get to the answer from there?

Thanks for the help thus far
Reply 5
Original post by Mult
So in this case, the momentum of particle P is 0.3*1.1 ?

Momentum of P before collision: 0.3*2.2
Momentum of P after collision: 0.3*1.1
Momentum of Q before collision: 0.5*0.8
Momentum of Q after collision: 0.5*Answer

How do I get to the answer from there?

Thanks for the help thus far

Yes. The total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.
Reply 6
Yes. The total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

Ah okay, this is starting to make sense now - thanks a bunch buddy :biggrin:

How about (ii) ?
Original post by Mult
Ah okay, this is starting to make sense now - thanks a bunch buddy :biggrin:

How about (ii) ?

speed = distance/time

Quick Reply

Latest