What sanitary protection do you use? Watch

Poll: What do you use for sanitary pro?
Tampons (23)
35.94%
Pads (32)
50%
Cloth pads/reusable pads/ "fairy hammocks" (0)
0%
Jam sponge/Menstrual sponge (0)
0%
Moon cup/soft cup etc (8)
12.5%
Something else? (1)
1.56%
daisydaffodil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What sanitary protection do you use, and what brand? I'm just curious.

I use Bodyform normally, but had to borrow some of my sister's Always pads tonight and they reek of stupid perfume! I'm just hoping Bodyform don't do the same thing as I'll have stop using them.. To be honest I'm thinking of changing to something a bit less hassly (nothing worse than having to carry 4 sorts of pads for different days, I can't help but think that 1 thing that does everything, all absorbencies would be good!

What do you use? I know lots of girls/women use tampons, but I can't stand them. Literally struggle to stand when wearing them.

As for reusables.. I have wondered what moon cups are like but I suspect that if I don't like tampons, I'm not going to get on with mooncups! Plus the thought of having to empty the blood down the sink.. and what do you do in public loos? The other options are sponges but quite simply, the thought of stuffing a sponge up there makes me want to cry!

Which leaves me with erm.. cloth pads. I don't know what to make of them, apart from the fact that it must be nice not to have to buy new pads all the time! Just can't work out how you'd wash them, especially in a shared house! There's a website that make really "pretty" ones in different fabrics.

So .. what do you use? Thoughts on reusable stuff - good/healthy or a bit rank?
rachel.h
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I use Always, mainly for the nighttime ones. The Bodyform ones don't form very well to the body - they don't feel very secure! I didn't know you could buy scented Always, I've had scented Bodyform ones in the past and they really stink. I mainly use tampons during the day though.

I remember having a look at reusable ones once upon a time, but I just don't think I could be bothered with the hassle. The last thing I would want to do after a long day is starting cleaning them

I've also considered a Mooncup. In a public toilet you'd just pour it down the loo, wipe it with toilet paper and reinsert ... I think?
peedie pixie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tampons (tampax) for day time, and then always or bodyform pads for night time.

I don't like the idea of reusable stuff.. but i'm also a bit lazy and quite happy to just dispose of used stuff.
BetsieB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tampons all day, whatever is on offer for nightime protection, normally either bodyform or always.

What is mooncup, never heard of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
daisydaffodil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by BetsieB)
Tampons all day, whatever is on offer for nightime protection, normally either bodyform or always.

What is mooncup, never heard of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

It's like a little silicon cup that you insert like a tampon, it just holds all the fluids until you take it out and empty it. I think it works on a suction principle like if you stick a cup to your face, so it doesn't fall/slip or anything.

They're supposed to be safer than tampons as they don't absorb, but I just wince at the thought of trying to stuff an entire cup up there (slight exaggeration on my part, they are actually quite little).

As for Always pads, it's the acti pearl stuff that gets on my goat - they're supposed to be odor neutralising but in my experience they make your hands smell, your bits smell, the bathroom smell, your clothes smell of this stupid flowery scent. Plus I have skin problems and really shouldn't use anything there that claims to be scented.. I phoned Always in the end, and said that I can't use them - she was very apologetic, suggested I use the "simply fits" range.

*However* as Always don't make the night pads in their simply fits range, I just had to move to Bodyform - never had a problem with Bodyform.

I agree re. the hassle of trying to clean re-usable stuff, discussed it with my mum (who used terry nappies when we were babies so has an idea of what cleaning pads would be like), she thinks you'd need to rinse in cold salty water, then soak it in napi-san before then putting them in the wash!! Seems a lot of hassle compared to just bagging and binning.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 years ago
i always use pads, hate the idea of a tampon.

Can i ask, do any of you get paranoid that if your boyfriend squeezes your bum or something hes gonna feel the pad through your trousers?

The other day i was making out with my boyfriend and he knew i was on my period but his hand was wondering down (over my trousers) and i didnt want him to be able to feel the pad!!

Anyone else have this problem
Anonymous #2
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Can i ask, do any of you get paranoid that if your boyfriend squeezes your bum or something hes gonna feel the pad through your trousers?

The other day i was making out with my boyfriend and he knew i was on my period but his hand was wondering down (over my trousers) and i didnt want him to be able to feel the pad!!

Yup I used to be uber conscious of it. However my boyfriend studies science and doesn't seem to care!
mollie-
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I shouldn't criticise what I've never tried but the thought of using ANYTHING reusable sounds so disgusting... Never ever. I've never even heard of reusable pads. Do you just wash them after and use it again?!
Anonymous412
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I use always, as I'm a virgin I daren't try get a tampon up there!! Ha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anonymous #3
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Yeah this issue came up for the first time with my boyfriend the other day. He went to put his hand down there and I was like 'you don't want to be going there this time of the month babe, sorry' and although it was initially a bit of a mood killer, we laughed about it after and he was really cool about it.
(I was actually really apologetic and he was like 'you can't help it when you're on!' and he appreciated my honesty! So it can be a bit awkward but its kinda unavoidable) :rollseyes:
nursing_sue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Tampons are a lot more drying than a menstrual cup, so if your flow is light (or just too light for the absorbency) then you might get frition problems with tampons that you won't experience with a cup. Cups are also more of a V shape, whereas tampons are straight, and the bottom part of your vagina is more sensitive. So cups won't be in contact with that. If you tried using Tampax then they expand lengthways, which is a stupid idea, as that increases the contact with the more sensitive bits - and if you have a lower cervix they could even end up being too long to be completely inside you! So consider trying lil-ets (or a lot of own brands) as they expand widthways, which makes a lot more sense and actually works with your body.

Cups hold a lot. They can easily go 8 hours - sometimes more - without being emptied. So it's rare that you'd need to empty it in a public toilet. If you do need to then you can just empty it, wipe it with tissue and then re-insert so nobody else will have to know. Some people take a small bottle of water to use for rinsing, but I personally think that's unnecessary. Between periods, you can boil them on the hob, or you can use something like milton sterilising tablets to soak which could be done in your room.
littlehobbit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
None of you guys seem to wear tampons at night?! I wear tampons all the way through mine (obviously changing, not the same one ha!)
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I use pads. I tend to use Always; but it's whatever's on offer.

Have thought about a mooncup; but am not too sure. Can you swim with one in?
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Used tampons for years then latterly a mooncup (nothing now --- woo hooooooo)

I used to be eurghed by the thought of a mooncup but now would recommend them to anyone

Unlike the previous poster ... I did carry a small bottle of water to rinse ... TMI coming up - my periods were very heavy and I would certainly need to change during the day - they were also very "lumpy" so rinsing helped remove everything
therisenmitten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by littlehobbit)
None of you guys seem to wear tampons at night?! I wear tampons all the way through mine (obviously changing, not the same one ha!)
I think it's much healthier to use pads occasionally, like at night. It says something about it on the tampon box. I never use tampons at night because sometimes I sleep for more than 8 hours.

I haven't used anything for a year thanks to nexplanon. Best decision ever!
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
I use pads. I tend to use Always; but it's whatever's on offer.

Have thought about a mooncup; but am not too sure. Can you swim with one in?
Yes you can, I used to club swim 4/5 times a week including during my period using a mooncup
Gladbags2012
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I started out using pads and tampons, but three years ago I invested in a couple of Lunette Menstrual Cups, and what a revelation!

Its so clean, hygienic, cheap, reusable and there is no risk of TSS using it but to name a few advantages over smelly tampons which irritate and leave fibers behind in your vag. You don't have to worry about running out of supplies or packing enough when you go on holiday - You only need one cup to pack and its small and last up to 10 years with proper care.

Name:  Lunette+complete+colored+cups+not+public+domain.png
Views: 526
Size:  293.3 KB
I own two Lunette Cups, one wine coloured and the other is blue. So pretty!

Heres an interesting photo for you (you might have to click on it for a larger image). Its a different brand of cup, but the same idea applies to the photo.
Name:  waste.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  271.7 KB

Now if this doesn't make you convert to using a cup, nothing will! :eek:
Just don't knock it until you try it.

Edit: On a slightly different note - Mods, how do you get images to show up in your post?! I used the 'insert image' button, and it shows said image in the editing bit, but it won't show up when I post my reply...:confused:
Gladbags2012
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by daisydaffodil)
http://www.mooncup.co.uk/

It's like a little silicon cup that you insert like a tampon, it just holds all the fluids until you take it out and empty it. I think it works on a suction principle like if you stick a cup to your face, so it doesn't fall/slip or anything.

They're supposed to be safer than tampons as they don't absorb, but I just wince at the thought of trying to stuff an entire cup up there (slight exaggeration on my part, they are actually quite little).

Most menstrual cups (I have two Lunettes and a femmecup) are made from medical grade silicone, which is quite supple and soft. I know it looks daunting to use, but you don't insert it when its 'open'. You fold it in half, and half again (there are other simple fold methods too) and insert.

It doesn't sit high inside, it sits low down and you might feel it pop open. It doesn't hurt either but the 'popping open' is a confirmation that its in place and won't move until you break the suction to remove it.

It holds more volume than ANY tampons (super, mega etc). I get away with changing my cup twice a day (once in the morning and at night), whatever my flow is like at the time.

(Original post by daisydaffodil)
I agree re. the hassle of trying to clean re-usable stuff, discussed it with my mum (who used terry nappies when we were babies so has an idea of what cleaning pads would be like), she thinks you'd need to rinse in cold salty water, then soak it in napi-san before then putting them in the wash!! Seems a lot of hassle compared to just bagging and binning.
Out of sight, out of mind, right? What a waste to end up in landfill!

I can't vouch for reusable pads etc, but cups are a doddle to clean. You remove it and either pour the contents down the sink or toilet. Quick clean with toilet tissue and reinsert. Ta-dah! No hassle, no fuss!

Name:  waste.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  271.7 KB
Anonymous #4
Report 6 years ago
Just looked into mooncups - they look pretty good, I'm going to have to get one I think!

I have heard people before saying you can still have sex whilst wearing a mooncup...??!!! Is that right? I can't imagine that would work, ie he wouldn't fit in?!!

I use tampons at the moment. I wear them through the night, simply because I hate the mess with pads as even when I 'clean up' and use a tampon again in the morning there is always some initial leakage!! But I am also conscious of TSS and am a little worried wearing tampons all the time for 5 days.

Hoping I'll get on with the mooncup....just not a fan of paying £20 when I might hate it and I'm as skint as hell to waste £20 :/ ....any cheaper options guyysss???
username418231
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pads - Always or Kotex

Tampons - Always
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (158)
19.24%
Labour (418)
50.91%
Liberal Democrats (111)
13.52%
Green Party (45)
5.48%
Brexit Party (12)
1.46%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.49%
SNP (14)
1.71%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.73%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)