The Student Room Group

A-level selection advice?

hi(:

I'm choosing my A-levels... I know it's really late to start choosing them, but I wasn't sure if I was staying in this country because of my parents work.

I've heard A-levels are hard work, but I'm prepared to put the work in.

What would people say to 5 A-levels? My dads think it would be a good idea to try and study two languages, as I'm fluent in Spanish and know a very good level of French, because I've lived in both these places. (They aren't really pushy, over the top parents btw, lol, they just think the language options would be a good idea.)

I've heard language A-levels were hard, but I love them... and I should find them easier as I'm advanced at both!

I hate science and maths so much... so I'm not studying them!

I'm thinking about doing;

English Literature, Geography, History, Spanish and French... And people have told me that's crazy... it might be. Although I love all these subjects... I've read a couple of books on the syllabus for lit, already, which helps. Seeing as it might be a lot of work I might some of it in summer... my dads said they'd be the books and my teachers are quite supportive. (I do go out and see my friends at least once a week... I don't like devote my life to work! haha.)

Now I'm just concerned it may be too much... has anyone studied 5-levels?? I'd hope for at least AABBB... and want to carry them all to A2... I'm really passionate about all of them, so the learning is more important than getting "top" grades. I'm definitely not planning to go to Oxford or any uni's like that... no offense to people who attend them, I just prefer the idea of going to a really culturally diverse university and have a very good social life, as I've been exposed to it all my life. :smile: I'm thinking of studying Languages and being a translator... but I'm not to sure yet, because I love Geography and History, too...
Reply 1
Hi, I'm sorry I can't help much as I'm not at A levels yet but I'm also starting to think what to take - the best advice I've been given is to go with your instinct and do what you enjoy because if you don't it will be a lot harder to pass them :smile: your choices sounds like good subjects that are well respected though so I'd say they are fine :smile: sorry if that wasn't much help at all!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would only do 5 if i could near enough guarantee AAAAA at AS, because otherwise you might as well just do 4... with what you're hoping for, your best three would be AAB, whereas if you only did for you could get AAAB, so you have 3 As.... that being said, you may as well push yourself because you can always drop one after a few weeks or months or whenever really... you wont know if its too much work until you try
Reply 3
Only do 5 if you are basically guaranteed A's in those with minimal effort (For instance, being bilingual or multilingual would mean it comes naturally) Because even 4 A levels is one hell of a lot of effort.

I'd say those subjects tie in nicely together. There is a large amount of content in each one, but if you are dedicated and interested in the fields, you shouldn't have any problem remembering the key points.
Reply 4
A few of my friends took 5 ASs and dropped one of them after 6 months, deciding the 5th subject wasn't for them. I'd take them all and see how you find the workload, as you can always reduce it later. You can't pick one up halfway through the year though.
Reply 5
5 at AS is a hard task, 5 A2 is very hard. I don't think I know anyone doing 5 A2's. Some people have a natural aptitude for languages, so if you do, it would probably be very worthwhile doing a language at A level.

If you decide to go into Law, you'd be able to get a slightly lower offer (AAB not AAA) if you carried on the language, and even a possible year abroad!

You've chosen very academically rigorous subjects, so I'd start them and see how it goes. It's worth noting that the best subjects are the ones you enjoy. You'll find it much more motivating to study subjects you're interested in. If you're only taking Languages because you're good at them, you might find it tedious.
I took 5 AS levels and I found them difficult. I ended up having exams everyday for two weeks and to be honest they sucked, big time. I took Classics, Economics, Politics, Maths and Chemistry and I ended up with ABBDE at AS (now AABDE). Trying to keep on top of all of the work can be difficult but if you're already advanced in languages like you say you are then this could work to your advantage in attaining high grades. But by all means, take 5 AS levels and see how you go, because you might cope better than I did - I'm sure if it did become too much for you, as hopefully it won't be the case, your college or sixth form will allow you to drop a subject.
Reply 7
I would probably advise you to drop one. They are seriously hard work compared to gcses. If you really love all of them then consider keeping one as a hobby, but really doing 5 is pushing it. I did five, but one of them was general studies which I didn't have to revise for and only had 1 hour lesson for a week, so it doesn't really count :tongue:

If you don't know which to drop, maybe try out a couple of weeks of all of them in September, then drop whichever one you like the least :tongue:
Reply 8
Yes... I'm bilingual... "trilingual" at a push... French should not be too hard as I studied it in Spain when I went to school and lived in France for a while. But Geography and History are subjects I love, and I know a lot about them because one of my dads has a history degree and the other one has a geography degree... :3 So they could always help moi. I really liked Literature, even though I've only studied it for a while as I came to the UK in September... I love to read, too... and was good at literature classes when I was studying it in the French and Spanish schools..
Reply 9
I am doing 5 AS levels, though one of those is further maths - for people who really enjoy maths and find it quite easy, I imagine it's similar to doing a language you're fluent with regards to the work you'll have to put in. Personally, I wouldn't say doing 5 AS levels has been a problem (I also do History, English Lit and Economics), though I will probably drop English Lit for A2. I would say take 5 if you think you can get AAAAA. If you're hoping for AABBB, then I wouldn't recommend it, just because I expect you could do better concentrating on 4, and unis prefer quality to quantity (within reason). I suppose the only exception would be if you felt sure that, even if you only did 3, you still would only get AAB. And I wouldn't worry too much about A2 now - it's better to leave your options open with regards to dropping subjects, based on how you've done after AS.
It sounds like you wouldn't need lessons for Spanish (& French?), which means that you pretty much wouldn't have to do any work for them. If that's the case, go for it.

You wouldn't be the first to take 5 AS levels, but do keep an open mind with regards to doing 5 A2 grades.

PS I presume that French / Spanish isn't your first language? If so, unis will sometimes discount those A Levels, so you would need to do the three others anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest