Pic programming is it worth it? (geeks need only reply to this) Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
In a few months time it will be the summer holidays, I plan to work through them but I will still have a bit of spare time and will need to be learning somthing to stop me from getting bored.

I was thinking about getting back into electronics so I thought I would give PIC a try. Even if I am just doing somthing simple like writing a computer program to make some LEDs flash it would be fun.

Is PIC quite easy to interface to a PC? Is it easy to program? I can do C but not assembler.
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
In a few months time it will be the summer holidays, I plan to work through them but I will still have a bit of spare time and will need to be learning somthing to stop me from getting bored.

I was thinking about getting back into electronics so I thought I would give PIC a try. Even if I am just doing somthing simple like writing a computer program to make some LEDs flash it would be fun.

Is PIC quite easy to interface to a PC? Is it easy to program? I can do C but not assembler.
If you get the right software, and interface leads, you can easily create a program using a flow chart interface.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago

For me PIC programming is a bit dull and meaningless. The results that you can achieve are fairly impressive given the relatively small amount of work. If you have some spare time and you don't mind ordering from rapid, maplins etc.. then you might consider going the whole hog and try making circuits from scratch. Im sure that you would find what you actually construct much more satisfying. Its would probably show a bit of versatility to your skill if you show an interest in hardware use and construction as well as proggying.
bono_3
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
proggying.
HAHA, now thats when you know you are hardcore!
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 14 years ago

Yeah, PIC programing is pretty easy (with the right equipment blah, blah). Program wise, I'm using chip factory at the moment. Anyone else using anthing different/better?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise