The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews, Glasgow, Durham, Warwick and Exeter

I am thinking about studying politics/history or very tentatively law in the near future.

University wise I am considering St Andrews, Glasgow, Durham, Warwick and Exeter. My preference would be for either St Andrews or Glasgow although I know that St Andrews does not do law. On the one hand they are both ancient medieval institutions and I'm a sucker for Gothic architecture and turrets and more seriously I like that I would be in a place with 500-600 years of educational experience (and perhaps a bit snobbish). Looking on wiki I am amazed by the number of graduates from these two that go into politics and other positions of influence. Also Glasgow in particular has a very strong debating tradition that appeals(might explain all the politicians :biggrin:).

That said Durham is also prestigious in its own way (and the castle seems nice but everyone wants to get into University College). Warwick's rise has certainly been stratospheric in recent years and Exeter has a certain posh factor that appeals although it is my least favorite.

I must confess I have not really explored departmental rankings and to be honest I question whether that really important unless you want to pursue a career in academia/research.
Original post by Messina1
I am thinking about studying politics/history or very tentatively law in the near future.

University wise I am considering St Andrews, Glasgow, Durham, Warwick and Exeter. My preference would be for either St Andrews or Glasgow although I know that St Andrews does not do law. On the one hand they are both ancient medieval institutions and I'm a sucker for Gothic architecture and turrets and more seriously I like that I would be in a place with 500-600 years of educational experience (and perhaps a bit snobbish). Looking on wiki I am amazed by the number of graduates from these two that go into politics and other positions of influence. Also Glasgow in particular has a very strong debating tradition that appeals(might explain all the politicians :biggrin:).

That said Durham is also prestigious in its own way (and the castle seems nice but everyone wants to get into University College). Warwick's rise has certainly been stratospheric in recent years and Exeter has a certain posh factor that appeals although it is my least favorite.

I must confess I have not really explored departmental rankings and to be honest I question whether that really important unless you want to pursue a career in academia/research.

St Andrews does in fact have a very strong debating society that competes at a national and world level.( Currently ranked 15th in the world by The World Universities Debating Council). Also, even though we do not do law, we have a law society and I know that many graduates go on to do law conversion courses.

It is a good idea to look at the departments, not merely the universities as one entity. Some universities flourish in certain areas and lack in others. St Andrews, i'm guessing you'd study international relations as that's our equivalent to politics, has a very good reputation in that area. It's also ranked well for history.

Also be aware of student experience, St Andrews and Glasgow are very different universities. St Andrews is a town with lots of (really awesome) traditions and you'll walk down the street and see about 5 people you know. Glasgow is a large city! It depends what you are looking for and used to. I've really enjoyed St Andrews life and made loads of lifelong friends, but it's not for everyone. I'd hence advise you to go to each university on open days and experience them for yourself.

Posh factor, I say we do better than Exeter, although I can't say that's something to brag about.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Messina1

St Andrews has the oldest, some would say the finest, debating society in the world. A St Andrews debating team got to worlds finals this year, so there is a very strong tradition of very successful debating at St A.
I was EXACTLY the same as you. I was originally a law applicant who changed to history and English and then to history and Arabic so I could apply to St. Andrews. I plan on doing a law conversion after my degree :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending