The Student Room Group

Friday 14th June - AQA Unit 3 Modular Exam GCSE

Hey! I'm just wondering if anyone is doing this exam and how they are preparing?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Reply 2
i'm absolutely dreading it!
Reply 3
I'm doing it, but I had been revising for today's Unit 2 the past few days. So now I'll restart the Unit 3 revision. It's a BS exam anyway, it's a memory test rather than a real maths test.
Reply 4
Original post by elliec_
i'm absolutely dreading it!

Original post by ozzyoscy
I'm doing it, but I had been revising for today's Unit 2 the past few days. So now I'll restart the Unit 3 revision. It's a BS exam anyway, it's a memory test rather than a real maths test.

I need 102 UMS/120 UMS to get an A overall! If I don't get an A, what options do I have in achieving that A - someone please help :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by IHTWFR
I need 102 UMS/120 UMS to get an A overall! If I don't get an A, what options do I have in achieving that A - someone please help :frown:

What do you need it for? If you don't need it immediately, you can simply do it next year, and I don't mean the whole course. A well-kept secret is that you don't actually have to attend a school or college or enrol on a course or join a website to do a GCSE (or even A Level). You contact the exam board, arrange where you'll take the tests and when, pay them, and there you go. You could choose to take the 3 units in March or whenever's earliest, then you have the chance to resit any you didn't do good enough on in June anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
What do you need it for? If you don't need it immediately, you can simply do it next year, and I don't mean the whole course. A well-kept secret is that you don't actually have to attend a school or college or enrol on a course or join a website to do a GCSE (or even A Level). You contact the exam board, arrange where you'll take the tests and when, pay them, and there you go. You could choose to take the 3 units in March or whenever's earliest, then you have the chance to resit any you didn't do good enough on in June anyway.

Say I wasn't off that much off an A, could I retake a specific unit in March or January?
Reply 7
Original post by IHTWFR
Say I wasn't off that much off an A, could I retake a specific unit in March or January?

I'm led to believe that you can only resit specific units in the same school year as the other units you did. So next year you would have to do all the exams again rather than just the one you ballsed up on. That's what I think anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
You know what hate? Words like 'subtended'. Why don't they just speak English proper, wut like we does? Remember in Unit 2 in one of the papers on the last page, they had that upside-down triangle symbol instead of 'a = 2, b = 1'? That wasn't a maths question at all. If you want to test our ability in maths, don't test our ability in English and symbol language.
I need 114 ums to get my A*. I've pulled 114-116 in the past papers. The sad thing is that my school wouldn't allow me to resit unit 1 and 2 because I got As in them.

I'm just going over algebraic fractions as I saw it coming up in one of the specimen papers but not much on the actual past papers. I've gone over everything else numerous times.

I hope the paper is really difficult and the harder topics come up so that it will be easier to get a higher ums mark.

Best of luck to you all, if any of you need help then message me, I have notes on all the topics and would be glad to help if possible! Have a nice day :smile:
You know what hate? Words like 'subtended'. Why don't they just speak English proper, wut like we does? Remember in Unit 2 in one of the papers on the last page, they had that upside-down triangle symbol instead of 'a = 2, b = 1'? That wasn't a maths question at all. If you want to test our ability in maths, don't test our ability in English and symbol language.

You don't need to know the word 'subtended', it helps, but all you need to be aware of are the circle theorems in that regard. Remember the arrow theorem as opposed to the angle subtended at the center is double that of the angle subtended at the circumference.

'Symbol language' is the basis of algebra, love it or hate it, it will be on the paper!

As for the testing English in a Maths paper part - this is happening across all examinations. GCSE Maths isn't really a great test of your mathematical capabilities, it's more a test to see if you are fit for A Level, that's where the real test is!

Convert everything the paper is stating into familiar language that you understand. That way when some symbol language comes up you can call A two and B one, just like you said above.

Best of luck!
Reply 11
Original post by Jamesplussky
You don't need to know the word 'subtended', it helps, but all you need to be aware of are the circle theorems in that regard. Remember the arrow theorem as opposed to the angle subtended at the center is double that of the angle subtended at the circumference.

'Symbol language' is the basis of algebra, love it or hate it, it will be on the paper!

As for the testing English in a Maths paper part - this is happening across all examinations. GCSE Maths isn't really a great test of your mathematical capabilities, it's more a test to see if you are fit for A Level, that's where the real test is!

Convert everything the paper is stating into familiar language that you understand. That way when some symbol language comes up you can call A two and B one, just like you said above.

Best of luck!

Woah settle down there. I call bull**** when they choose to use a rarely used word instead of a more common one, and when they decide to use an upside-down triangle to stroke their... ego. That's all. If I'm testing someone, I'll make damn sure they understand the question. Like I said, it's supposed to be a maths test, I'm not gonna punk out foreigners or illiterates to fake question difficulty.
Woah settle down there. I call bull**** when they choose to use a rarely used word instead of a more common one, and when they decide to use an upside-down triangle to stroke their... ego. That's all. If I'm testing someone, I'll make damn sure they understand the question. Like I said, it's supposed to be a maths test, I'm not gonna punk out foreigners or illiterates to fake question difficulty.

It may be rarely used outside of Maths, but it's used a lot within Maths. It's just you usually come across circle theorems by GCSE level (it's not limited to circles either, look here for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtended_angle.

Other than that, AQA aren't the worst for setting questions people don't understand. I've seen OCR ask questions that weren't even on their specifications!

Before I submit this reply, what do you mean an upside down triangle? In GCSE Maths triangles are triangles and you can work out angles or lengths using The Pythagorean Theorem, Trigonometric Ratios, Sine Rule and Cosine Rule. If you mean it was awkward how they positioned the triangle then that would be to increase the difficulty, making things harder to spot.

On the specification they have the Ambiguous Case (part of the law of Sines) and as far as I'm aware it hasn't came up on any exams yet, and it's the most tricky devious thing they could put on it. However, in the specification they have outlined that if they want you to find an answer for the Ambiguous Case then they will specify in the question, which I found to be rather nice of them.

Focus on the good parts of the exam. I'm a big fan of maths so I'm looking forward to the exam. If you are struggling with anything or unsure about some of the terminology used then let me know and I'll do my best to assist you!

:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Jamesplussky
It may be rarely used outside of Maths, but it's used a lot within Maths. It's just you usually come across circle theorems by GCSE level (it's not limited to circles either, look here for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtended_angle.

Other than that, AQA aren't the worst for setting questions people don't understand. I've seen OCR ask questions that weren't even on their specifications!

Before I submit this reply, what do you mean an upside down triangle? In GCSE Maths triangles are triangles and you can work out angles or lengths using The Pythagorean Theorem, Trigonometric Ratios, Sine Rule and Cosine Rule. If you mean it was awkward how they positioned the triangle then that would be to increase the difficulty, making things harder to spot.

On the specification they have the Ambiguous Case (part of the law of Sines) and as far as I'm aware it hasn't came up on any exams yet, and it's the most tricky devious thing they could put on it. However, in the specification they have outlined that if they want you to find an answer for the Ambiguous Case then they will specify in the question, which I found to be rather nice of them.

Focus on the good parts of the exam. I'm a big fan of maths so I'm looking forward to the exam. If you are struggling with anything or unsure about some of the terminology used then let me know and I'll do my best to assist you!

:smile:

Woah again. Look, really, you're just over-analysing everything and reading something else anyway. I'm not struggling with anything. I'm not talking about geometry, or algebra. All I'm saying is the language is needlessly complicated and takes away from the purpose which is to mesaure someone's mathematical ability in key areas.

As for the upside-down triangle, I am not talking about geometry. Like I said, it was in algebra, unit 2. 'a [upside-down triangle] b' was used in an unclear way to mean 'a = something in this equation, b= something in this equation'. Unless the person had been specifically told what the symbol actually means and what's being asked of them, and chance are they won't be told, they can't do the question at all. That means they will have lost marks not because they couldn't do the math, but because the question was impossible to understand. It becomes a test of language, not maths.
Woah again. Look, really, you're just over-analysing everything and reading something else anyway. I'm not struggling with anything. I'm not talking about geometry, or algebra. All I'm saying is the language is needlessly complicated and takes away from the purpose which is to mesaure someone's mathematical ability in key areas.

As for the upside-down triangle, I am not talking about geometry. Like I said, it was in algebra, unit 2. 'a [upside-down triangle] b' was used in an unclear way to mean 'a = something in this equation, b= something in this equation'. Unless the person had been specifically told what the symbol actually means and what's being asked of them, and chance are they won't be told, they can't do the question at all. That means they will have lost marks not because they couldn't do the math, but because the question was impossible to understand. It becomes a test of language, not maths.

Oh okay. I thought you were personally struggling with the wording of questions. I can see your point, but I guess all examining boards make some of their questions ambiguous with the wording and use of mathematical symbols [those not stated in the specification that is].

I wish you the best of luck in your exam!

Oh and I'd suggest taking a look at Sine Graphs as I think they might come up as they didn't on the last paper but did on some of the ones previous to that one.
Guys I am dreading the unit 2 tommorrow, any thoughts on what it might be like?
Reply 16
Original post by TheGeekGal

You mean Unit 3, and it'll be as hard as all the past papers. Hopefully it isn't a nasty surprise like Unit 2 a few days ago with its new questions, stuff I certainly haven't seen in any textbooks or past papers.
Reply 17
You mean Unit 3, and it'll be as hard as all the past papers. Hopefully it isn't a nasty surprise like Unit 2 a few days ago with its new questions, stuff I certainly haven't seen in any textbooks or past papers.

I'm just hoping God has mercy on us all. I need an A overall otherwise I have to retake in November despite getting a B overall (if I do). I want to go to the top universities for a degree I pick so I definitely need an A in Maths for GCSE.
Original post by TheGeekGal

It's Unit 3 tomorrow, make sure you're aware of the unit, just in case! I'm expecting and hoping for the paper to be a huge step up from the previous paper that was completed in March. I didn't recall any Cosine on the last paper, so probably some Cosine. I'm also hoping that Sine Graphs will come up, making it easier to do well on average on the paper. It's 108 UMS for an A* out of 120 UMS so that's not bad at all. I'm look 114 UMS, so it will be difficult, but provided that the paper dips into A* material a lot that shouldn't be a problem!

Best of luck!
Reply 19
Original post by IHTWFR
I want to go to the top universities for a degree I pick so I definitely need an A in Maths for GCSE.

Not at all. Pretty much everything else is taken into consideration before GCSEs, it would be a desperate last resort. They look for C and above really, sometimes B.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending