The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Latin 2013: Apuleius and Aeneid

I thought as so many people are studying about Apuleius and Aeneid that it would be a good idea to make a thread to share revision tips and other general info on the stories.

Remember, A403H is on the 14th, and A404H is on the 19th.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm studying Suetonius, Livy and Pliny for the prose exam on the 14th and Book 12 of the Aeneid for verse although it seems my exam is on the 19th :s-smilie:.
Although we've only been given one past paper for the prose, most of the questions were similar to the comprehension questions we get in the language papers. So I've just been making sure that I can translate the texts from the Latin. I'm most worried about the 8-10 mark questions though, like "How does the writer build a sense of horror and suspense in this passage?", anybody have any tips? :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by Telos
I'm studying Suetonius, Livy and Pliny for the prose exam on the 14th and Book 12 of the Aeneid for verse although it seems my exam is on the 19th :s-smilie:.
Although we've only been given one past paper for the prose, most of the questions were similar to the comprehension questions we get in the language papers. So I've just been making sure that I can translate the texts from the Latin. I'm most worried about the 8-10 mark questions though, like "How does the writer build a sense of horror and suspense in this passage?", anybody have any tips? :tongue:

Literally, pick five words from the text they have given and write about them. Five fully explained should get you 10 marks. On the eight marks, it better to do this for the whole story and make eight or more points.
Original post by Pingui
Literally, pick five words from the text they have given and write about them. Five fully explained should get you 10 marks. On the eight marks, it better to do this for the whole story and make eight or more points.

I'm in agreement with this but perhaps for the 10-mark questions, make your five best points and then if there is any spare time, write a couple more down. OCR have, from what I've seen and what my teacher has told me, never specifically stated the number of points which is advised for this question to gain full marks, so I think it's worth doing that if there is any time that you have left over.

Also in agreement with the 8-mark questions, but remember you do not have to refer to the Latin for the answers! Make sure that your examples are specific too-- if they are too vague, the examiner's might think that you're just blagging it. It's best to show how much you know the text as a whole (as opposed to the extracts given) so that they know that you know the text well. Don't go off on a tangent though (like this post!), always relate back to the question.
Reply 4
Original post by TelephoneBox
I'm in agreement with this but perhaps for the 10-mark questions, make your five best points and then if there is any spare time, write a couple more down. OCR have, from what I've seen and what my teacher has told me, never specifically stated the number of points which is advised for this question to gain full marks, so I think it's worth doing that if there is any time that you have left over.

Also in agreement with the 8-mark questions, but remember you do not have to refer to the Latin for the answers! Make sure that your examples are specific too-- if they are too vague, the examiner's might think that you're just blagging it. It's best to show how much you know the text as a whole (as opposed to the extracts given) so that they know that you know the text well. Don't go off on a tangent though (like this post!), always relate back to the question.

I definitely agree with what you say, I have also seen that in the ten marks if you make more than 7-8 points, and you get one or two small ones wrong, they are unlikely to mark you down.
Original post by Pingui
I definitely agree with what you say, I have also seen that in the ten marks if you make more than 7-8 points, and you get one or two small ones wrong, they are unlikely to mark you down.

Yes I think you're right there :biggrin: in my mocks I try to make 7-8 rather detailed points actually, just to cover all bases possible. :smile:
Yes for 10 marks I always do over 5 just to be safe and for 8 marks our teacher says you have to do 8 points or more and refer to the Latin!! But my favourite is Virgil because its so exciting :P
Reply 7
Original post by Language-Girl
Yes for 10 marks I always do over 5 just to be safe and for 8 marks our teacher says you have to do 8 points or more and refer to the Latin!! But my favourite is Virgil because its so exciting :P

No, for the 8 markers, you only have to do 2 developed points, and you don't need to refer to the Latin at all!
Reply 8
Original post by alexgr97
No, for the 8 markers, you only have to do 2 developed points, and you don't need to refer to the Latin at all!

It's debatable because there have never been any past papers for this exam. However, you definitely do not need to refer to the Latin, but I do think it is better to make more than two points.
Reply 9
Original post by Pingui
It's debatable because there have never been any past papers for this exam. However, you definitely do not need to refer to the Latin, but I do think it is better to make more than two points.

I do the OCR Greek as well and the format is exactly the same as the Latin. You *only* need two developed points - but of course, it's better to do more just in case.
10 pointers, any specific tips, lads?
Reply 11
Original post by Kolasinac138
10 pointers, any specific tips, lads?

Make 7-8 developed points and make sure you refer to the Latin.
Do you need to translate the Latin
Original post by Kolasinac138
Do you need to translate the Latin

Yeah must refer to and translate I believe for 10-mark. :smile:
We get told to do eight like 5 line paragraphs for 8 markers and therefore give 8 different points...
Does anyone have facts about about Apuleius? Ones that could come up in the exam
Reply 16
Original post by That_Mexican
Does anyone have facts about about Apuleius? Ones that could come up in the exam

What do you mean by facts?
Original post by Pingui
What do you mean by facts?

Sorry i meant to say if anyone had a good knowledge of the Author as I heard its important to know that
Reply 18
Sorry i meant to say if anyone had a good knowledge of the Author as I heard its important to know that

No, I do Greek as well and I've never seen anything come up about the author.
Reply 19

It is very unlikely that anything about the author himself may come up, but if you wanted to know more about him, wiki him. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending