The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR History B: British Depth Study 1939-75 ( June 10th)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quwissy
That actually didn't go too badly :smile: Was not expecting it to be on immigration though tbh, thought it was going to be on women ahaha but over all it was fairly good :biggrin: x

I was so confident it was going to be immigration that I didn't bother revising Women or Teens :u:

I think I got my A, A* would be pushing it seeing I ran out of time to finish the 15 marker properly
Reply 61
Original post by ElLeonNino
I was so confident it was going to be immigration that I didn't bother revising Women or Teens :u:

I think I got my A, A* would be pushing it seeing I ran out of time to finish the 15 marker properly

Lucky you. : P Tbh I don't really care what I get just as long as I get a C at least but I probably got about an A in my coursework so I think I'll do fine :smile: x
Original post by Quwissy
Lucky you. : P Tbh I don't really care what I get just as long as I get a C at least but I probably got about an A in my coursework so I think I'll do fine :smile: x

Same tbh all I needed was a C; I haven't even looked at my Geography paper 2 and Maths Unit 3 yet :colondollar:
Reply 63
Original post by sophiebeth100
+1
I wrote the exact same.
Also found the 'how surprising' question quite difficult, but otherwise it wasn't too bad...

Yeah it was a bit 'wishy washy', but I put surprised = Enoch Powell is famed for 'Rivers of Blood' = in this source he is promoting completely the opposite view, however, not surprised = In the early 1950s (when the lady in question was being convinced to come to Britain by Powell) Britain need many workers (context of war and 1948 British Nationality Act), however, by the time he gave the RoB speech in 1968, there was increasing racial tension and falling amounts of jobs etc. etc. which may have contributed to his changed opinion
I'm so glad it was immigration (I said it would be)! I thought the prove wrong question was strange since the woman was mostly saying things like "I am unhappy about..." which you can't really say is wrong. But the prove wrong questions are always silly because there is never an occasion where one source would prove another wrong, prove is too strong a word.

It was also weird that every source except the cartoon was about the 1950s! A very strange paper if you ask me, especially that 12-marker, very specific, the statement is usually very vague.
Reply 65
Anyone know the grade boundaries for last years paper? Also I only included a small amount of contextual knowledge on each question, will this affect my grade?
Reply 66
ALSO, what did people put for the prove wrong question between source C and D?!?!
Original post by joeflynn
Anyone know the grade boundaries for last years paper? Also I only included a small amount of contextual knowledge on each question, will this affect my grade?

Grade boundaries for June 2012: A* - 35, A - 32, B - 29, C - 27, D - 23, E - 20, F - 17, G - 14 (out of 50, bearing in mind that we now have three SPaG marks and so ours will be out of 53).

Contextual knowledge only counts for a portion of the marks, and as far as I'm aware, using it well once per question is good enough. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by mitchellshazia
Grade boundaries for June 2012: A* - 35, A - 32, B - 29, C - 27, D - 23, E - 20, F - 17, G - 14 (out of 50, bearing in mind that we now have three SPaG marks and so ours will be out of 53).

Contextual knowledge only counts for a portion of the marks, and as far as I'm aware, using it well once per question is good enough. :smile:

Thank you! It isn't really that many marks for an A? Is there a chance this could be pushed up?
Thank you! It isn't really that many marks for an A? Is there a chance this could be pushed up?

They could potentially move it to whatever they wanted but after exam boards got into so much trouble for doing this last year, I doubt it will change by more than about 3-ish marks. :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by mitchellshazia
They could potentially move it to whatever they wanted but after exam boards got into so much trouble for doing this last year, I doubt it will change by more than about 3-ish marks. :smile:

Okay thanks! Just hoping for an A now haha
ALSO, what did people put for the prove wrong question between source C and D?!?!

I wrote something like:
source C shows a worker proving what source D is wrong; saying they only come for healthcare benefits but in source C she's working. Source D also says that immigrant workers are useless but shes being photographed by london transport which implies shes good at her job

however, source d cannot be proved wrong by source c as source d is a first person account, it was published in 1958 summer of violence so the woman has a reason to be angry. Source D is a personal account which makes it unrealiable, albeit a solid opinion at the times. Source C is also a model photo and not a true representation of the immigrant workers, with a purpose of recruiting more immigrants so if it is not real how can it prove a real first hand opinion about immigration?

The question(s) i had most difficulty was the how similar and the last question.
Hey, I'm guessing you all have just finished your GCSEs... i have mine next year and I have the british depth study mock coming up, I'm not very good and need some help with this topic. However, I can find NO RESOURCES WHATSOEVER for this topic online, and it's not in the revision book! Does anyone have a link to a decent website or a pdf past paper or something? I'm desperate, it's only a couple of weeks away! :confused:
Reply 73
Original post by DestroyaOfWorlds
Hey, I'm guessing you all have just finished your GCSEs... i have mine next year and I have the british depth study mock coming up, I'm not very good and need some help with this topic. However, I can find NO RESOURCES WHATSOEVER for this topic online, and it's not in the revision book! Does anyone have a link to a decent website or a pdf past paper or something? I'm desperate, it's only a couple of weeks away! :confused:

Many past papers can be found on the OCR website under the History GCSE section. Hodder Education publishings also do a good textbook I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ryan Mc17
Many past papers can be found on the OCR website under the History GCSE section. Hodder Education publishings also do a good textbook I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okeydokes, thanks much :smile:
Original post by Quwissy
My mum found a powerpoint on the Notting Hill Riots and she made a revision guide for the whole of the topic so I'll put the links bellow. Oh, the revision guide won't upload because it's apparently too big but if there's any other way you can think of for me to send it to you and if you want it of course, just tell me and I'll send it to you how ever you want (eg. through email). Hope this helps :smile: x

If it would be OK and you still have the PowerPoint, it would be really useful to me. I'll PM you my email :smile:
Original post by Nick Latham
Hi, I am going to learn about this next year. Is the content interesting to you lot?

Personally, being halfway through the course, I have found the British Depth Study one of the most interesting aspects of the syllabus. It is especially fascinating that it is so recent, the period of time you study, and you can see that things changed.
does anyone have this paper?
Do you mean have it as in own it?
Original post by DestroyaOfWorlds
Do you mean have it as in own it?

yeh, i can't find it anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest