The Student Room Group

Is Psychology seen as a "soft/easy" subject to universities?

I need to choose a-levels soon, and think that Psychology seems pretty interesting. I'm thinking of doing Biology with it, and haven't quite decided what other a-levels I want to do. However, is Psychology seen as an "easy" subject?

Will Universities "look down" on me for choosing it over something else?
Reply 1
Normal uni's will class it as a science. Trinity College Cambridge is the only place which references which A-Levels it likes and which it doesn't so I suppose you could look there but obviously the information only applies to Trinity
Reply 2
you only need to worry about if the uni want specific a levels for your course, like my course want atleast obe media based subject and psychology courses almost always require an a level in psychology after that its just getting the ucas points to get in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Megan_louise
I need to choose a-levels soon, and think that Psychology seems pretty interesting. I'm thinking of doing Biology with it, and haven't quite decided what other a-levels I want to do. However, is Psychology seen as an "easy" subject?

Will Universities "look down" on me for choosing it over something else?

psychology can be applied to a wide variety of situations and subjects.. so it's very useful. therefore i especially doubt that they will not look down on it. It's a very knowledgeable subject.. so much research can be done into it. And as someone said, most universities class it as a science.

of course it depends what you want to do in uni though :smile: for example for medicine it's obviously going to be looked down on.. It may go well with English however, or sociology. It's your choice!

by the way, i don't know about other exam boards, but I do psychology with OCR, and let me tell you, it is not easy. Don't let this put you off though, i mean no a-level is 'easy' .. it's just the amount of work that needs to be put in to it.
Reply 4
Original post by jodie.irwin27
psychology can be applied to a wide variety of situations and subjects.. so it's very useful. therefore i especially doubt that they will not look down on it. It's a very knowledgeable subject.. so much research can be done into it. And as someone said, most universities class it as a science.

of course it depends what you want to do in uni though :smile: for example for medicine it's obviously going to be looked down on.. It may go well with English however, or sociology. It's your choice!

by the way, i don't know about other exam boards, but I do psychology with OCR, and let me tell you, it is not easy. Don't let this put you off though, i mean no a-level is 'easy' .. it's just the amount of work that needs to be put in to it.

Not true. One of my friends is an aspiring medic (doing bio, chem and psych) and has offers from med school. It isn't looked down upon at all...
Original post by Sannn
Not true. One of my friends is an aspiring medic (doing bio, chem and psych) and has offers from med school. It isn't looked down upon at all...

i probably shouldn't have said obviously, was just assuming, sorry! but there you go, if it's not looked down on by medicine then it's barely gonna be looked down on at all! but i suggest to check out the universities cause some prestigious ones usually state what is accepted and not accepted :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending