The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Possible Imperial Chemical Engineer Applicant

I had a few doubts regarding Chemical Engineering and the course at Imperial, sorry if it seems really obvious I was just a bit confused so thought I'd ask TSR. This is mainly directed to current Chemical Engineer students.

Regarding maths modules (I'm doing Further Maths, currently in year 12) which maths modules are the most useful? Are the mechanics modules really useful in that you should do up to M3 for it to be of great advantage as in that type of maths comes up a lot, or are the Further Pures, just so I know which modules to take up and have an idea of the area of maths chemical engineering mainly fixates on. (I know mechanics, but I don't understand to what level or how much if that makes sense)

Also is the course how you expected it to be (talking mainly about the Imperial experience of this course) what are the pros/cons?

Just wanted to ask to get more of a feel of chemical engineering at imperial.
Reply 1
I'm welfare officer for the engineers this year, and I come into contact with a lot of the Chem Eng lot (it's an interestingly tough course xD) Here's some insight based on what I know...

You really shouldn't fixate too much on what modules to pick. First year engineering Maths at Imperial - whatever engineering stream you're in - is designed to bring everyone up to speed, chiefly because not everyone has the same standards (we DO have people will all sorts of qualifications anyway, and some don't have the luxury of picking stuff like Mechanics or Further Pure.) If you notice, FM isn't exactly a mandatory entry requirement (I didn't do it, and neither did a LOT of people.) Whichever modules you choose to pick, you'll be okay - you just have to work harder on the ones you don't know...you win some and lose some :P

Anyway there's a pure Maths module, and then you have a couple o' other modules which will need more of the applied stuff. Pure maths courses on the whole for engineering students are actually taught by the Maths department (some are special and do it in-house for certain years in certain departments, you'll have to see) - so I would say FP covers this more, though some of it seems a bit pointless (for instance people seem to do a lot of matrix decomposition in FP and we touch it in first year, then seemingly never again o.O) In fact in second year there's a good chunk of Statistics as well in the pure module - you wouldn't think that's *as* crucial in engineering, but hey, it's assessed!

Then you have stuff like Heat and Mass Transfer, Fluid Mech, Thermodynamics etc - where a good working knowledge of mechanics and immense familiarity with solving ODEs + PDEs will serve you very well. There's a lot of general crossover though, so anything needed for applied maths modules which you don't already know will be covered by the pure maths modules in some form or another at some point (in other departments, Fourier and Laplace comes to mind a LOT. Ask the EEE/BME/Aero people.)

Long story short both pure and applied come up a lot and are about as important as each other. Personally I like the applied/mech stuff more and would be more keen to go for that, but it's not a massive deal. Don't obsess too much, pick what you think you'll enjoy/be good at and you'll make up whatever you're lacking as you go.

PS// If you're still after some solid ideas: https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/chemicalengineering/Public/ug/1styearsection12-13.pdf

PPS// Just clarified something with my friend. All the mechanics modules in the world won't help a lot in Fluid Mech - you need to get used to a lot of totally new concepts, all the modules even up to M5 only cover solids!
(edited 10 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by arianex
I'm welfare officer for the engineers this year, and I come into contact with a lot of the Chem Eng lot (it's an interestingly tough course xD) Here's some insight based on what I know...

You really shouldn't fixate too much on what modules to pick. First year engineering Maths at Imperial - whatever engineering stream you're in - is designed to bring everyone up to speed, chiefly because not everyone has the same standards (we DO have people will all sorts of qualifications anyway, and some don't have the luxury of picking stuff like Mechanics or Further Pure.) If you notice, FM isn't exactly a mandatory entry requirement (I didn't do it, and neither did a LOT of people.) Whichever modules you choose to pick, you'll be okay - you just have to work harder on the ones you don't know...you win some and lose some :P

Anyway there's a pure Maths module, and then you have a couple o' other modules which will need more of the applied stuff. Pure maths courses on the whole for engineering students are actually taught by the Maths department (some are special and do it in-house for certain years in certain departments, you'll have to see) - so I would say FP covers this more, though some of it seems a bit pointless (for instance people seem to do a lot of matrix decomposition in FP and we touch it in first year, then seemingly never again o.O) In fact in second year there's a good chunk of Statistics as well in the pure module - you wouldn't think that's *as* crucial in engineering, but hey, it's assessed!

Then you have stuff like Heat and Mass Transfer, Fluid Mech, Thermodynamics etc - where a good working knowledge of mechanics and immense familiarity with solving ODEs + PDEs will serve you very well. There's a lot of general crossover though, so anything needed for applied maths modules which you don't already know will be covered by the pure maths modules in some form or another at some point (in other departments, Fourier and Laplace comes to mind a LOT. Ask the EEE/BME/Aero people.)

Long story short both pure and applied come up a lot and are about as important as each other. Personally I like the applied/mech stuff more and would be more keen to go for that, but it's not a massive deal. Don't obsess too much, pick what you think you'll enjoy/be good at and you'll make up whatever you're lacking as you go.

PS// If you're still after some solid ideas: https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/chemicalengineering/Public/ug/1styearsection12-13.pdf

PPS// Just clarified something with my friend. All the mechanics modules in the world won't help a lot in Fluid Mech - you need to get used to a lot of totally new concepts, all the modules even up to M5 only cover solids!

Thanks, this was really helpful and great!

What you're saying about maths is right, I hadn't thought of it like that, the first year is definitely for bringing everyone up to scratch, so I might as well choose modules which I personally have an interest for and can think I can achieve the best grades for.

The reason I was asking for how much mechanics there is or how A-Level mechanics it's focused is because I personally prefer pure maths and statistics over to mechanics. I think it's mainly to do with the way it's taught, I do like mechanics but this is just my preferance and I was worried what kind of wannabe engineer am I if I don't even have mechanics up there in my top options, but what you said about getting everyone up to scratch and your friend saying it doesn't cover it, is reassuring!

Also I was wondering what is studying (chemical) engineering at university like? I know it's probably very maths focused, but how much maths focused? I don't have a problem with the maths, I love maths but just something I wondered. What's like the average day like for a chemical engineer? Workload? Assessments? Just any insight into being an actual student at Imperial would be fantastic.

Thanks so much, can't explain how much I appreciate your help.

Also, just reading the link you sent, what is mastery exam? The pass/fail thing they're talking about
And how practical based is engineering at Imperial?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alygirl
Thanks, this was really helpful and great!

What you're saying about maths is right, I hadn't thought of it like that, the first year is definitely for bringing everyone up to scratch, so I might as well choose modules which I personally have an interest for and can think I can achieve the best grades for.

The reason I was asking for how much mechanics there is or how A-Level mechanics it's focused is because I personally prefer pure maths and statistics over to mechanics. I think it's mainly to do with the way it's taught, I do like mechanics but this is just my preferance and I was worried what kind of wannabe engineer am I if I don't even have mechanics up there in my top options, but what you said about getting everyone up to scratch and your friend saying it doesn't cover it, is reassuring!

Also I was wondering what is studying (chemical) engineering at university like? I know it's probably very maths focused, but how much maths focused? I don't have a problem with the maths, I love maths but just something I wondered. What's like the average day like for a chemical engineer? Workload? Assessments? Just any insight into being an actual student at Imperial would be fantastic.

Thanks so much, can't explain how much I appreciate your help.

Also, just reading the link you sent, what is mastery exam? The pass/fail thing they're talking about
And how practical based is engineering at Imperial?

No worries :smile:

"Mainly to do with the way it's taught"?! Tsk tsk tsk. You'll soon realize though that judging whether you like something or not *purely* based on how it's taught isn't going to fly at uni if you want to do well - independent learning and all, you know. You're going to face crap lecturers even in the vital modules (we had shoddy Maths lecturers in the first year) and you're just going to have to manage somehow, whether it's reading around on your own or actually clubbing together and discussing with peers. (Sorry for the pointedness, but you might as well have this reality check sooner - rather than later when you're here and have the massive "omg" shock in first year :P)

If people in my engineering stream purely chose their 3rd/4th year specializations (EE or Mech) based on how (well) the relevant modules were taught in the first two years, the Mech stream should have a lot more people signed up to it (our EE content is taught absolutely horribly.)

Anyway I'd say looking at the Mech syllabus up to M5, if you can manage M2/M3 without too much of a problem (I only did M1 by the way, shock horror, and Solid/Fluid Mech which we also do in BME are my best modules) - then you should be in relatively good stead for the applied modules. Obviously a bit of statistics will help for the probability bits in the pure maths module, but unless you do Maths/Maths with stats people don't study a LOT of the stats stuff in Chem Eng/engineering in general. Nothing's stopping you from reading around it though :P

I thought initially you were more "should I do more pure or mech", but now that I see you're more a pure/stats based person I'd probably advocate a bit more of a mech brush-up. You don't *have* to like it, but do be prepared to do a lot of it - though if you can manage pure, then it's just a matter of knowing how to apply it to a more real-life situation with actual fluids/lumps of coal/fluid-containing structures etc xD

I'm afraid an engineering degree really is mostly Maths in all sorts of permutations and little to no actual numbers! For Chem Eng you're going to have to do a bit of Material Physics stuff (properties of matter) and you have a Chemistry module too, which is just perversely-applied-maths (we always say that every science is an extremely applied form of Maths if we go by XKCD reasoning :P) Practicals vary depending on the year, though I do believe you get to use the pilot plant in second year and you do have poster presentations + the like in first year too, so there WILL be some form of project and some labs in place.
It's mostly lectures though, with regular tutorials/study groups where you get support from TAs. The heavy practical stuff comes more in the 3rd and 4th years, the first two years are more theory-based (where sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel - by this, I mean "what's the point in learning module/topic XYZ, it's irrelevant!" now; but in 3rd/4th year you're like "OH THAT'S WHY WE DID THIS BACK THEN.") Of course, if you do something like Matlab/other programming you do get practical labs and also practical assessments for those.

Masteries are unique to engineering at Imps - you sit a smaller exam that's not as hard as the final, but you need to pass it at 80% as opposed to 40% and that banks you a pass (40%) for the module, which you top up by taking a non-mastery final in summer (masteries are usually at end of autumn, or end/start of spring, or start of summer.) It's a 3-attempt thing, and if you fail the second time you do your third attempt when everyone else does the non-mastery so you don't get to further top up your marks.

I'll leave specifics on workload and assessments to the chem eng people on here, unless you head over to Facebook (where we have a lot of active seniors who do Chem Eng :biggrin:) Be prepared to work hard though!
Ariane pretty much sums it all up. I wanted to be a chemical engineer, till I thought long and hard about it. Eventually I settled for civil eng at Imperial. If it's engineering you want to get into, make sure you read about all the options available to you as you may enjoy the course structures for another area of engineering. Needless to say the engineering courses offered at Imperial can vary greatly compared to other uni's. Peace!
Reply 5
Original post by TeddyBasherz
Ariane pretty much sums it all up. I wanted to be a chemical engineer, till I thought long and hard about it. Eventually I settled for civil eng at Imperial. If it's engineering you want to get into, make sure you read about all the options available to you as you may enjoy the course structures for another area of engineering. Needless to say the engineering courses offered at Imperial can vary greatly compared to other uni's. Peace!

And then you have my course (Biomedical Engineering), where you pretty much do some of what everyone else does - not that we skimp on depth either xD Some of us are here because we couldn't pick a specific field to go into, and Biomed Eng is probably the most interdisciplinary :P You do pick a specialization later on though, I'm more Mech Eng than Elec Eng so I'll specialize in Mech next year.

Let's see...in two years I've done pure (engineering) maths, solid/fluid mechanics, heat/mass transport + chemistry, medical science, programming, logics, signals + control engineering, electrical engineering, electromagnetics, and materials (to name some.) Oh and I did a year-long design project for sports technology (my group did a posture monitoring system for wheelchair paralympians, and we got to talk to Jimmy Goddard for the consultation/development phase, who showed us how to race on wheelchairs. Best moment ever.)

But yeah, I would do a bit more research over the summer (you still have a bit of time) - if you can get also a little bit of work experience so you know what you're letting yourself in for, that helps majorly too.
Reply 6
Original post by arianex
And then you have my course (Biomedical Engineering), where you pretty much do some of what everyone else does - not that we skimp on depth either xD Some of us are here because we couldn't pick a specific field to go into, and Biomed Eng is probably the most interdisciplinary :P You do pick a specialization later on though, I'm more Mech Eng than Elec Eng so I'll specialize in Mech next year.

Let's see...in two years I've done pure (engineering) maths, solid/fluid mechanics, heat/mass transport + chemistry, medical science, programming, logics, signals + control engineering, electrical engineering, electromagnetics, and materials (to name some.) Oh and I did a year-long design project for sports technology (my group did a posture monitoring system for wheelchair paralympians, and we got to talk to Jimmy Goddard for the consultation/development phase, who showed us how to race on wheelchairs. Best moment ever.)

But yeah, I would do a bit more research over the summer (you still have a bit of time) - if you can get also a little bit of work experience so you know what you're letting yourself in for, that helps majorly too.

Hey i want to do chem eng at imperial too. Their usual offer is A*A*A if Im predicted A*AA
For A2, do I have a good chance of getting an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending