The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Journalism courses

Hiya, haven't really posted in this forum before, so please be kind lol...

Basically, I'm interested in doing an MA or some other Postgraduate course in Journalism, to act as a platform for getting into that as a career. I've come to this idea pretty late, so I haven't really had a chance to get into student journalism and the sorts of things which would allow me to fall straight out of my degree into it, but I'm fully behind it now and I want to do everything I can. I've still got a year left on my undergrad, but this is about the time I need to start thinking about afterward, so...

My problem is, I can find no information on the prestige and quality of postgraduate Journalism courses. I am loath to bring this up, but I think it's relevant to my question: I'm an Oxford PPEist, and though I'd be happy to go anywhere at all in an ideal world, my main concern is that I don't want my postgrad to look... incongruous, on my CV, next to my undergraduate degree. I really hope that doesn't sound (and it isn't) elitist/pompous etc, it's more a fear of that in prospective employers. By all means tell me I've nothing to worry about as long as it's BJTC/NCTJ accredited, it's what I want to hear.

So, I thought I'd try asking you lovely people, just to test the water. Are there a few elite courses I really ought to be working toward, or should I just check accreditation and follow my heart? I just have no frame of reference, no information on this.

Thanks much!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
City U has a good MA Journalism course, theory and practice. Some lecturers are seasoned journalists. Syllabus covers broadcast, print and new media.
Cardiff is also well regarded and the course is well balanced. I heard some programmes require to see a sample of your work:videos or articles

PPE is a sound foundation for a career in journalism. Sometimes, one has the impression that half of the newsroom is made up of PPE grads :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending