Ninjutsu - 3rd Kyu Watch

This discussion is closed.
Computergeek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I am going for my 3rd kyu examination soon, just wondering if anyone else studies ninjutsu here? dunno if martial arts have come up much here. I've been studying it for nearly 8 years now. anyone else?
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Computergeek)
I am going for my 3rd kyu examination soon, just wondering if anyone else studies ninjutsu here? dunno if martial arts have come up much here. I've been studying it for nearly 8 years now. anyone else?
8 Years and only 3rd kyu? Seems like some slow progress to me
Leeroy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have 1st Dan black belt in wado ryu sport karate, but I transferred to freestyle kickboxing a couple of years ago (The grade still holds though )
Computergeek
Rep:
?
(Original post by imasillynarb)
erm tis actually quite fast for ninjutsu.. unlike martial arts such as karate etc u dont get ur belts every 5 minutes.. a ninjutsu student is both taught mentally and physically and is assessed on both. at my club there have been white belts for at least 2 years...
Computergeek
Rep:
?
erm tis actually quite fast for ninjutsu.. unlike martial arts such as karate etc u dont get ur belts every 5 minutes.. a ninjutsu student is both taught mentally and physically and is assessed on both. at my club some people have been at white belt for near 2 years. i was taught privately till i was old enuf to join a club, for most traditional ninjutsu clubs u have to be at least 16 > some specify 18 >!!
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didnt know that, but 8 years...3rd kyu, still seems abit slow
Computergeek
Rep:
?
I didnt know that, but 8 years...3rd kyu, still seems abit slow

well ninjutsu is a way of life, unlike most other martial arts where it is used as a tool.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've been doing karate for three years, and I've only done two belts. Grading is a waste of time.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I do Tae Kwon Do, where the gradings are simply a way to gain access to the more advanced training. They mostly test your nerve as you have to perform in front of one of the highest grades in Britain. I have my 1st dan black belt in October and that takes place in Bristol in front of the best of the TAGB.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by pal_sch)
I do Tae Kwon Do, where the gradings are simply a way to gain access to the more advanced training. They mostly test your nerve as you have to perform in front of one of the highest grades in Britain. I have my 1st dan black belt in October and that takes place in Bristol in front of the best of the TAGB.
Do you know how similar tae kwon do is to sport karate or freestlye kickboxing - I want to continue martial arts at uni, but it seems tha tae kwon doe is one of the few on offer?

cheers
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leeroy)
Do you know how similar tae kwon do is to sport karate or freestlye kickboxing - I want to continue martial arts at uni, but it seems tha tae kwon doe is one of the few on offer?

cheers
Is it TAGB or ITF style? TKD involve a lot of kicking, but is more elegant than kick boxing. Much more line and patern work. Its Korian, so honnor is less important than winning, unlike Japanise or Chinese arts.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is it TAGB or ITF style? TKD involve a lot of kicking, but is more elegant than kick boxing. Much more line and patern work. Its Korian, so honnor is less important than winning, unlike Japanise or Chinese arts.
Errrm ok. lol. The style I do is basically on the mat, with time limit, and each time a scoring area is hit, the fight is temporarily stopped, point(s) awarded, then continues - winner one with most points. Its not boxing with kicks, hence the freestlye nature of it. Federation is WUMA (world united martial arts) - their website is wuma.uk.com if that helps.

any ideas now which it is similar to?
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Errrm ok. lol. The style I do is basically on the mat, with time limit, and each time a scoring area is hit, the fight is temporarily stopped, point(s) awarded, then continues - winner one with most points. Its not boxing with kicks, hence the freestlye nature of it. Federation is WUMA (world united martial arts) - their website is wuma.uk.com if that helps.

any ideas now which it is similar to?
Sounds like ITF (International Tai-kwon-do Feneration) style sparing. The type they have in the olypics. That is mid to heavy contact with traditional scoring system (1 for punch to front of body or head, 2 for kick to front of body, 3 for kick to head). There is much more to Tae Kwon Do than that though. You have to resond to Korean commands and learn paterns and stances. Much of it reflects other arts, but the emphasis is on finnishing them with a single kick or combo.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sounds like ITF (International Tai-kwon-do Feneration) style sparing. The type they have in the olypics. That is mid to heavy contact with traditional scoring system (1 for punch to front of body or head, 2 for kick to front of body, 3 for kick to head). There is much more to Tae Kwon Do than that though. You have to resond to Korean commands and learn paterns and stances. Much of it reflects other arts, but the emphasis is on finnishing them with a single kick or combo.
Well its the same scoring system for starters. When i did karate I had to learn many katas and kyons, which sounds similar to the patterns and stances, however this is not required in freestyle kickboxing. My most effective move is arguably the blitz - are you familiar with this, in either style?
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well its the same scoring system for starters. When i did karate I had to learn many katas and kyons, which sounds similar to the patterns and stances, however this is not required in freestyle kickboxing. My most effective move is arguably the blitz - are you familiar with this, in either style?
Definatly! I had a match today against a strong blitzer. I'm TAGB, so we get less padding and tend to have free sparing all at once in a crowded hall with a wood floor. Its up to you not to get hurt. I prefer outfighting, but have some blitzing skills.
If you want a proper community feel, join the TAGB. We have training camps and the occasional piss-up. Anyone can join. There is one girl in a neerby club who is blind, and my instructor has only one arm and one leg, and yet could kick most people ass easy.
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Definatly! I had a match today against a strong blitzer. I'm TAGB, so we get less padding and tend to have free sparing all at once in a crowded hall with a wood floor. Its up to you not to get hurt. I prefer outfighting, but have some blitzing skills.
If you want a proper community feel, join the TAGB. We have training camps and the occasional piss-up. Anyone can join. There is one girl in a neerby club who is blind, and my instructor has only one arm and one leg, and yet could kick most people ass easy.
ill just check out which style it is at LSE - the other option is shotokan karate, that so traditonal and rigid, i find it a lot less exciting
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm it doesnt say

i might join a local club so i can begin to adapt before uni
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ill just check out which style it is at LSE - the other option is shotokan karate, that so traditonal and rigid, i find it a lot less exciting
Note; Course in martial arts are hard to get the grade in. The people who lay the law for the course may assume that the arts grading system has some relavence on the courses grade. I have heard about GCSE's in Judo where you have to be black belt to get above a C.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hmm it doesnt say

i might join a local club so i can begin to adapt before uni
Look here for a local listing.
www.tagb.biz/
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Note; Course in martial arts are hard to get the grade in. The people who lay the law for the course may assume that the arts grading system has some relavence on the courses grade. I have heard about GCSE's in Judo where you have to be black belt to get above a C.
You what?? I don't want to study it, I just want to continue training and competing??

And Im preeeetty sure theres no martial arts studies at LSE
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%