The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Guys, do we need to know about isotopes for this C1 exam?
Original post by girlanonymous
what is qwc??

its the mark you get for english and grammar they are the 6 markers where you have to write in sentences.
Original post by spike3601

Isotopes is C2
It's because calcium sulphate is a precipitate so it will coat the limestone and prevent it from reacting with the sulphuric acid. Therefore the reaction stops.
However calcium nitrate is an aqueous solution so the reaction continues at a steady rate.
Original post by THEMathlete
Different acids make different salts...
So
Calcium carbonate + Nitric Acid ---> calcium nitrate + water + carbon dioxide
So nitric acid reacts with it to make a nitrate salt.

Dunno why it's three marks though

Posted from TSR Mobile
What does everyone know about the Miller-Urey experiment? I don't understand it...
Reply 65
Original post by randomer44
as in depth as the question asks (if its in the exam) could be 1 mark or 6 marks. atoms are the small individual parts in an element. elements consist of one type of atom only. ions are just atoms that are charged (i.e. positive or negative) this happens in ionic bonding when atoms give or take electrons to get a full outer shell (to be stable). a molecule is when 2 or more atoms join together (like oxygen), but im not sure about this one

so are hydrocarbons both molecules and compounds?:rolleyes:
also do we need to know any more of electrolysis other than that its the process of extracting metals using electricity?

A molecule is formed when two or more atoms join together chemically. A compound is a molecule that contains at least two different elements. All compounds are molecules but not all molecules are compounds
Reply 66
Original post by AparnaX
You don't need to know about the electrolysis of aluminium for core. That was for additional.

For core the spec says

Aluminium and titanium cannot be extracted fromtheir oxides by reduction with carbon. Details of the methods of extraction aren't required. Currentmethods of extraction are expensive because:

there are many stages in the processes

large amounts of energy are needed.

You just need to know that aluminium is more reactive than carbon, therefore it has to be extracted using electrolysis of molten compounds.

Electrolysis is basically using electricity to decompose (break down) a substance. I'll use the example of copper because this is the one we need to know.

As you can see the the copper has been dissolved to form a solution of copper sulphate. This means the ions can move. The positive copper ions are attracted to the negative electrode and the negative ions are attracted to the positive electrode.

Thanks alot!
Reply 67
Original post by spike3601

nope
Reply 68
Original post by MissMedicine
What does everyone know about the Miller-Urey experiment? I don't understand it...

miller and urey setup an experiment with the basic components thought to have existed in primordial earth (water, ammonia, methane, hydrogen.) then they began introducing natural conditions such as heat (such as that from a volcano) and electricity (like a lightning bolt). after as little as a week of these conditions in a closed environment, they began to see simple organic molecules (e.g. amino acids,)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxA2IK9ppO4
Reply 69
Do you reckon Miller Urey will come up? It's been on a lot of the past papers. I think something about polymers will definately come up

try this video :smile: http://www.my-gcsescience.com/revision/core/the-miller-urey-experiment
I know its a big ask, but can anyone explain in detail alkenes, alkanes, polymers and monomers please? some reference to hydrocarbons and their structure e.g. double bonds, saturated etc.

Thanks in advance
It's because calcium sulphate is a precipitate so it will coat the limestone and prevent it from reacting with the sulphuric acid. Therefore the reaction stops.
However calcium nitrate is an aqueous solution so the reaction continues at a steady rate.

Yeah my answer was completely wrong :tongue: woops

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophsha
miller and urey setup an experiment with the basic components thought to have existed in primordial earth (water, ammonia, methane, hydrogen.) then they began introducing natural conditions such as heat (such as that from a volcano) and electricity (like a lightning bolt). after as little as a week of these conditions in a closed environment, they began to see simple organic molecules (e.g. amino acids,)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxA2IK9ppO4

Thank you! :biggrin:
Original post by briannax
Do you reckon Miller Urey will come up? It's been on a lot of the past papers. I think something about polymers will definately come up

There was a 4 marker on structure of polymers in C2 in the exam I took in May. Dunno if they'll put a lot on it on C1 as well.
Original post by unoriginalname1
I know its a big ask, but can anyone explain in detail alkenes, alkanes, polymers and monomers please? some reference to hydrocarbons and their structure e.g. double bonds, saturated etc.

Thanks in advance

Crude oil seperated by fractional distillation - seperating molecules from a mixture. By evaporating basically everything, then having seperate fractions where the parts are separated as they condense at different temperatures.

Hydrocarbons = Molecules with only hydrogen/carbon.
Alkanes only have single bonds, so their chemical stick diagram would kinda look like c-c-c with 2 hydrogen atoms attached on each carbon atom, but the carbon atoms are the end have 3 hydrogen atoms attached giving it a general formula of Cn H2n+2.

EXAMPLE: Propane http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Propane-2D-flat.png

Alkenes have a double bond. All the alkenes we need to know only have one double bond.
EXAMPLE: Propene http://www.gcsescience.com/Propene.gif (You don't need to know how to draw alkenes i think.
They have a general formula of Cn H2n

Cracking = Splitting an Alkane into a smaller Alkane and a Alkene (Which is mainly to make plastics) This is done by heating the alkane with a catalyst.

Alkanes are saturated - I.E they have the hydrogen atoms at the end, so they can't expand.
Alkenes are unsaturated - They don't have the hydrogen atoms at the end.

Test for alkenes is bromine water. Bromine turns colourless when reacted with an unsaturated hydrocarbon.

Polymers are made by combining monomers. That is done by breaking the double bond, so the monomers start to form chains. The longer the chain in hydrocarbons, the higher the evaporation point, the higher the viscosity (Viscosity = The rate it flows at e.g Honey High Viscosity, Water low)

This is what should be drawn when asked to show formation of polymers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/images/gcsechem_29.gif

For food, animal fats = Saturated. Plant fats (Oil) = Unsaturated.
To make oil solid, you go through hydrogenation. This is done by reacting the oil with hydrogen at 60 degrees with a nickel catalyst. You want to do this so you have your spreadable butter, not crappy olive oil to put on your toast.

Thats basically it, in addition to environmental and health effects but thats really just common sense
Why haven't I revised for this? :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Confused about fractional distillation of gases :s could someone explain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Could someone please give me all the possible 6 mark questions you can think of? I'm struggling

Latest

Trending

Trending