The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone Studied S294 Cell Biology?

Hi everyone

I have just completed S104... worst module EVER!! I am starting SK277 (Human Biology) and S294 (cell biology) I heard alot about Human biology but as Cell biology is fairly new not much has been mentioned.... Any advice on it?
Reply 1
S294 is the new S204. I have the exam next week. I find it hard especially for a level 2, feels like a level 3 to me. I also have SK277 exam next week, that one I like much more and will prob do better in the exam.

I did S104 a few years ago, parts of it I really didn't like and my EMA (sent by post then) arrived late so I failed :frown: Couldn't be doing with re-taking it.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Oh I would have gone mental.... I had an exam on S104 which was a nightmare

Do you think it's worth trying to get the pdfs or books to start to read over the summer??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes def worth it.
Reply 4
Forgive me just wandering in but I’ve been lurking on the TSR OU forum for a few weeks since I can’t stand the Facebook groups any more.

I started S294 in October after doing S104, SXR103 and a handful of the science 10-pointers. Unfortunately life got on top of me for a couple of months (work too busy, complete disaster of a relationship), so I withdrew in February.

It's a fascinating subject but the course is very information dense and low on activities, so I found it difficult to see the big picture in the ocean of facts it presents you with. I was having to devote more time than I had to it and still struggling to feel like I had a proper grasp of everything. It’s not all doom and gloom since up to the personal rubbish it was tough but manageable and I got a 94 on the first TMA.

Which parts of S104 did you dislike the most? In any case, reading through the books sounds like a very good idea!
Reply 5
The Facebook groups are very tiresome and hard work it seems....

I'm sorry you had issues to which you later deferred are you going back??

Geology and physics is why I hated S104 my god two of the most boring subjects every (in m option ;-) )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by kjglen24

Geology and physics is why I hated S104 my god two of the most boring subjects every (in m option ;-) )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh, I think I’m going to steer clear of Facebook as a whole for a while!

Not sure if I’ll re-visit S294, I did defer originally to preserve the work so far but I’m actually on the BSc (Open), and in my usual style have seen something shiny and wandered off the path a bit. For now I’m doing a couple more short science modules to finish a CertHE, then starting TU100 in October.

Just one more thing I’d recommend is a quick look back over the organic chemistry and the chapter in the biology book of S104 about metabolism, that helped me familiarise myself a bit before Book 2.

I must say I enjoyed the S104 physics, but couldn’t agree more on the geology Book 6 was not a pleasant experience! Weirdly I enjoyed the geology day on the residential course I did. Seemed to me like the way to enjoy geology was to go out to the beach and actually look at the dusty old rocks, but that’s not so practical on a distance learning course!
Reply 7
Original post by kjglen24

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh yes, geology, environmental science, genera physics were the areas I hated. I did happen to like quantum physics / astrology though

If I don't pass the exam on Tuesday I don't think I'll retake. I too am doing an open degree so don't need it.
Reply 8
Did s104 as one of the first OU modules, quite enjoyed it but it depends what you interested in, it covers nearly all areas of science. SK277 was my first level 2 module and loved it, my favorite upto now, gained a distinction and found the module info really good, nothing too scary on the exam. Just completed s294 and even though I have a keen interest in cell biology I struggled in the exam, with it being the first presentation it was all over the place, waiting for the result atm but not waiting for a good mark I dont think! lol has anyone done sk320? nearly over half way through this module and its really good, a level 3 module to consider if you like cell biology and pathology.
Reply 9
Hey! I am starting S294 Cell Biology and SK277 Human Biology in October. Would you guys be able to give me some advice on what I should read up on before it starts, to give me a head start? Do you have any examples of assignment questions/titles just so I have an idea of what to expect? Thanks :smile: Emma x
Reply 10
I didn't do any pre-reading but I did human bio before i started cell bio so that helped a little. Human biology for the TMAs and the exam the questions are quite straight forward with no nasty ones, the exam is good as you are given the essay topic questions which lets you pre-write and essay question beforehand. Cell Biology is not as easy questions on the TMAs make you 'read between the lines' to find the information and the exam was a lot more difficult. Still waiting for the exam result for cell biology, should have them within the next few days :/
Reply 11
Original post by amywilley
I didn't do any pre-reading but I did human bio before i started cell bio so that helped a little. Human biology for the TMAs and the exam the questions are quite straight forward with no nasty ones, the exam is good as you are given the essay topic questions which lets you pre-write and essay question beforehand. Cell Biology is not as easy questions on the TMAs make you 'read between the lines' to find the information and the exam was a lot more difficult. Still waiting for the exam result for cell biology, should have them within the next few days :/

good luck to you! :smile:
How many hours of work does this module take a week? Also, what sort of knowledge is assumed from the course?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 13
I got a grade 2 which i was very glad! With the reading I did around 10 hours a week but around tma time abit longer..for background info I already had alevel biology and had done sk277 and biological psychology so that helped me alot with this module..without that I think I would have strggled more with the info
Original post by amywilley
I got a grade 2 which i was very glad! With the reading I did around 10 hours a week but around tma time abit longer..for background info I already had alevel biology and had done sk277 and biological psychology so that helped me alot with this module..without that I think I would have strggled more with the info

Thanks! So it goes far beyond a level biology? 2/3 hours a day then? Hmmnmn Im hoping ill be able to fit this in somewhere!! Is it possible to buy the textbooks before applying for the course?
Reply 15
I am selling s294 on ebay if you r intrested.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Can't doing the course anymore, have to take S205 instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi,
I have also just completed S104 and compared with other years the exam was a nightmare to say the least, on the past papers i was averaging over 70% but not on this one I struggled, apart from the graph (part B) which was straightforward.
I am also studying SK277 and S294 this October,
What I have done is scoured the internet for video tutorials and found some really good ones for Cell biology and Human biology but they are not module specific ( to the ou modules) but general.
but at least it is something to absorb over the summer.
The one lecturer is a bit screechy like Howard's wife in the Big Bang, but very good at explaining. If you surf the net for video tutorials subject specific you should find something.
Carnegie mellon University also do free courses which you could do through the summer, It's again American but they are very good with short tests as you proceed to test you.
Khan Academy is usually very good (which you will find on Youtube) also they have videos on virtually anything.
Hope this helps
All the best
Dave
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending