The Student Room Group

kicked out because of work experience

So i just joined the forums today not just for this post been meaning to do it for a while

But anyway the issue, i'm 17 in first year of sixth form and we were given a deadline to find a 2 week work experience placement but i haven't found anywhere and I've been frantically calling and e-mailing all week to no avail.

The real issue was that we had to find it relating to the topics we are taking. Now i take maths but i don't want to be in banking etc. i just like thinking in a mathematical way, photography but i cant find one studio on this earth that provides work experience and engineering which seemed the most likely fit but all the small companies i contacted don't offer it and the large companies are miles away and neither my family or i can afford that everyday for two weeks, so this week i run up any business i could find but ended up talking to machines or every person who is in charge of work experience has gone home, before i'm even home. now i haven't left it till last minute i was told we would be given a letter with dates to my mid that says letter in the post i have even asked the school to send post not e-mail as they send it to my mom who gets 200+ e-mails a day and 2-3 weeks ago she goes i just found this i am now 2 weeks behind everyone else.

Also during the time i was meant to be searching i had 4 deadlines to meet and 3 exams so work experience wasn't a top priority, the next problem was my sister moving in with a 16th month baby cutting my sleep down massively and i have also had to move rooms within 3 weeks including decorating.

Now we get to the point of this post this week we have been told that if you do not find anywhere by Friday you will not be joining us gain next year to do A2 level as it is compulsory.

NOW I I AM EXCEEDING ALL OF MY TARGETS I GET A's AND DISTINCTIONS IN PHOTOGRAPHY AND ENGINEERING AND YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE BECAUSE I CANT FIND WORK EXPERIENCE WHEN EVERYDAY IN THE REAL WORLD 1000's OF PEOPLE AR BEING MADE REDUNDANT.

now the issue is maths which i'm pretty sure i haven't passed but if you have a high enough grade you can retake AS level which i would very much like to do but now it appears that has gone out the window.

so my question to you lady's and gentlemen is it possible to get kicked out of sixth form or school for not doing work experience because i have already done it in year 10 and i think that being kicked out may be a lie or a motivator however i may be proved wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm unsure whether or not they can kick you out of the college or not. It might have been a part of something you signed up to when you enrolled at the college that you would have to do work experience.

It does seem pretty futile to me, it could just be all bark and as you said a motivator but then again they could be telling the truth. Maybe try and speak to people you know who have already been through the college and see if they know any information about whether this expulsion has ever actually happened before.

Maybe get you mother to get in touch with the college and explain your situation, I imagine they'll try to accommodate you and they may have contacts with local businesses. They could even have bursaries available for the travel to your work experience. It is worth asking to see what help is available.
Reply 2
Original post by P.Handover
So i just joined the forums today not just for this post been meaning to do it for a while

But anyway the issue, i'm 17 in first year of sixth form and we were given a deadline to find a 2 week work experience placement but i haven't found anywhere and I've been frantically calling and e-mailing all week to no avail.

The real issue was that we had to find it relating to the topics we are taking. Now i take maths but i don't want to be in banking etc. i just like thinking in a mathematical way, photography but i cant find one studio on this earth that provides work experience and engineering which seemed the most likely fit but all the small companies i contacted don't offer it and the large companies are miles away and neither my family or i can afford that everyday for two weeks, so this week i run up any business i could find but ended up talking to machines or every person who is in charge of work experience has gone home, before i'm even home. now i haven't left it till last minute i was told we would be given a letter with dates to my mid that says letter in the post i have even asked the school to send post not e-mail as they send it to my mom who gets 200+ e-mails a day and 2-3 weeks ago she goes i just found this i am now 2 weeks behind everyone else.

I agree with the post above - speak to your college and explain the situation.

But if you still have time, you could consider looking for work experience that isn't exactly related to what you want to do later in life. Perhaps there's a company you like, but they don't have the department you want to work in. You can work in a different department and still make valuable connections. You don't want to work in banking, but if you did your work experience in a bank, you'd still be doing something maths-related.

There are lots of professional skills you can learn that are relevant to your future career - time management, team work, professional communication etc that you can get in many types of placement. Even if you work in MaccyDs you can find things in the experience that you can learn from and talk about to your teachers and in future interviewers. So if it's not to late, grab any placement you can and make the best of it :smile:

I'm sure your college will understand, and not kick you out, especially as your studies are going well.

Good luck :crossedf:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending