The Student Room Group

Gcse geography edexcel b unit 1,2,3 discussion :d

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by emmasolomon
I have a practise paper for the DME exam if anybody wants it. I'll write the questions in for you guys. You may of already done it as our teacher gave this exam to us.

SECTION A)

1a) define the word landlocked (1)

1b) Use page 4 of the booklet. Describe two features of Uganda's physical geography landscape (2)

1c) Using page 5 of the booklet. Explain how the rate of natural increase for uganda is calculated (2)

1d) Study figure 5. Describe the shape of Uganda's age-sex structure in 2010 (1)

Using figure 6 on page 7

1e) Describe the pattern of HIV infection among women in Uganda (2010) shown on the graph (3)

1f*) Explain why Uganda is considered one of the poorest countries in Africa (6)

SECTION B)

2a) Using page 8 in the booklet. Define the term isolated (1)

2b) Using page 8 and 9, describe a piece of evidence which suggests Kabujogera village is isolated (2)

2c) Study figure 12. Explain why many farmers in rural uganda are trapped in a cycle of poverty (6)

2d) Study figure 14 on page 12. Explain the close link between level of education and poverty shown. (6)

2e) Outline the evidence which suggests that there are gender equalities
in rural Uganda (3)

2f) Study figure 17. Compare the % of improved drinking water between urban and rural Uganda (2)

Section C

3a) Explain the reasons for the lack of progress made towards goal 4 and 5a&b in Uganda (6)

3b*) Study the options on page 21. Choose two options you believe will be of most benefit for rural Kabujogera village, Uganda.

Chosen option.............................................

Justify your choice of these options as the best people in Kabujogera village, Uganda. (9)

Is that the Zig Zag one?
does anyone know where i can find the pre release booklet online for Uganda? i kinda lost mine and was gunna reprint it. i went on the edexcel website but the resource booklet was locked, and you can only access it if your a teacher i think. links would help, thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by lauradaura
does anyone know where i can find the pre release booklet online for Uganda? i kinda lost mine and was gunna reprint it. i went on the edexcel website but the resource booklet was locked, and you can only access it if your a teacher i think. links would help, thanks in advance :smile:

as in the official Edexcel booklet? or the worksheet booklet?
Here is the promised mark scheme. Sorry, it's only higher - i forgot to grab a foundation one.
I also other have the other mock (but it unfortunately has no mark scheme). would people like me to upload it?
Reply 64
Original post by closet_nerd
as in the official Edexcel booklet? or the worksheet booklet?

There's a worksheet booklet?
Original post by subject1
There's a worksheet booklet?

i don't think that it is an official Edexcel thing
my teacher paid extra for it i think... do you want me to scan it?
Original post by closet_nerd
Here is the promised mark scheme. Sorry, it's only higher - i forgot to grab a foundation one.
I also other have the other mock (but it unfortunately has no mark scheme). would people like me to upload it?

dw, it was the actual resource booklet, but turns out my teacher had emailed it to me, thanks
Original post by lauradaura
dw, it was the actual resource booklet, but turns out my teacher had emailed it to me, thanks

okies, no probs :smile:
Reply 68
Does anyone have any tips/ predictions for the unit 3 exam on monday?
Reply 69
Original post by im131251
Does anyone have any tips/ predictions for the unit 3 exam on monday?

Don't copy out the booklet, focus on long term sustainability, and factors like social, economic, environmental, also use facts.. etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by user4600
Don't copy out the booklet, focus on long term sustainability, and factors like social, economic, environmental, also use facts.. etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks, but what do you mean when you say dont copy out the booklet?
Original post by lollipopsftw
This was the easiest paper I've ever done. Ever

Posted from TSR Mobile

in hindsight i agree, but i fluffed up 8-10 marks due to stupid mistakes. lol. bring on unit 3
Reply 72
Does anyone have a link to the 203 jan geog unit 3 QP/MS thanks :smile:
Reply 73
Do you guys have any good justification points for any of the options in section C of the unit 3 exam? I can think of some, and I'm thinking of going for the rural health clinics and (if they ask for 2) rural electricity sources. I think the health clinics would be good because the Millennium Development Goals that haven't been reached yet are almost all health related, and the electricity because with electricity comes just about everything else!
Any more to throw in? Thanks in advance!
Reply 74
I'm so glad I'm going into this exam with an alright UMS score because I really don't think I'll finish it, I always end up writing too much for answers....

How long do you guys intend to spend on each section?
Reply 75
Original post by Squidgy
I'm so glad I'm going into this exam with an alright UMS score because I really don't think I'll finish it, I always end up writing too much for answers....

How long do you guys intend to spend on each section?

15,20,25mins?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by im131251
Ok thanks, but what do you mean when you say dont copy out the booklet?

Quote the data/parts of sentences but don't copy large sections of text into your answers
Reply 77
Original post by sanil17
Does anyone have a link to the 203 jan geog unit 3 QP/MS thanks :smile:

It doesn't exist. Your best hope is the June 2012 on the London Olympics
Reply 78
Original post by josqu
Do you guys have any good justification points for any of the options in section C of the unit 3 exam? I can think of some, and I'm thinking of going for the rural health clinics and (if they ask for 2) rural electricity sources. I think the health clinics would be good because the Millennium Development Goals that haven't been reached yet are almost all health related, and the electricity because with electricity comes just about everything else!
Any more to throw in? Thanks in advance!

Here is what our teacher told us

Health Clinics
Reduces infant mortality
Reduces maternal mortality
Reduces water borne diseases

These points are related to the aspects which weakens the population and so they cannot work properly. But when these are eradicated, people can work properly.

An economic benefit is that it could help in the industrialization of the country- improved health of population means improved wealth (as they work more), and as their incomes increase, they can spend money to send their children to good education, and they don't end up being farmers.

It also reduces funeral costs - If fewer people die, than less cost for funeral... saves money etc...

For Band 3, my teacher said that you should be able to mention disadvantages/ compare it with other options. A disadvantage of building health clinics is the expense of the buildings and the training required for these professions. There also might be potential deforestation..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 79
I personally think water supply is the best. Health clinics are unsustainable and there would be a lack of skilled workers to work in them (evidence about lack of uni degree) Electricity supply would not be afforded by the Kabujoera people, and although electricity is a necessity, so is water!

But then there isn't really a right or wrong answer, just "justify"!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending